PDA

View Full Version : how to charge

JTS Landscaping lawn
08-25-2007, 02:15 PM
i want to addon landscape lighting to my company but not sure what to charge for doing this kind of work. i know how to do all the installs and what not but not sure on what should be charging for this.

niteliters
08-25-2007, 04:30 PM
you know how to do all the installs. What manufacturers are you using? What distributor are you purchasing thru? They should be able to help you. I can't give you an answer to your question. I would need much more info on you. I believe the men and women who install lv lighting in this chat room charge a range of prices based on confidence and experience. If you're just starting you don't have either so trying to charge what they would charge might lead you to disappointment. What do you charge now? What do you think is fair for your work?

NightScenes
08-25-2007, 04:36 PM
There are all kinds of posts on this subject. Try the search feature and you will find a lot of info. As Chris has already pointed out, you can't expect to charge the same amount as someone with a certification and years of experience.

Good luck in your quest.

JackTorsed
08-25-2007, 10:39 PM
There are all kinds of posts on this subject. Try the search feature and you will find a lot of info. As Chris has already pointed out, you can't expect to charge the same amount as someone with a certification and years of experience.

Good luck in your quest.

you can't expect to charge the same amount as someone with a certification and years of experience.

say what?
You can charge whatever the customer is willing to pay and no more whether you are experienced or certified or not. Certified by who anyway?

NightScenes
08-25-2007, 11:01 PM
So your saying that a new installer should be able to charge someone the same amount for their services as someone who has years of experience and would do a job that would probably make theirs look like it was installed by PEE WEE HERMAN???

I am certified by the Association of Outdoor Lighting Professionals which is the only non profit organization that has a certification for low voltage landscape lighting.

JackTorsed
08-25-2007, 11:13 PM
So your saying that a new installer should be able to charge someone the same amount for their services as someone who has years of experience and would do a job that would probably make theirs look like it was installed by PEE WEE HERMAN???

I am certified by the Association of Outdoor Lighting Professionals which is the only non profit organization that has a certification for low voltage landscape lighting.

No what I'm saying is that if you have or are a good salesman you can sell just about anything to anyone for a price. Not a good way to build a business if you do crappy work. How else do you explain that more than 1/2 of the lighting jobs out there are junk, It's so because somebody trusted somebody and made the wrong choice. Thought they were getting something good and were not.
Fell for some slick talk and perhaps some fancy marketing.

"I am certified by the Association of Outdoor Lighting Professionals which is the only non profit organization that has a certification for low voltage landscape lighting"

You are joking right? I'm in the landscaping business for more yrs than I care to remember and I'm unaware of your association and it's certifications. How in the world is the consumer to know when it's such a well kept secret. Not to start a fight but who certified them to certify you? Is your association accredited? And by who? I'm guessing you are pulling my leg and playing a joke on the new guy. Ok I give.

ar-t
08-28-2007, 01:06 AM
But your point is well taken. Any contractor with the gift of gab can sell most anything to enough gullible rich folk to make a living.

You might even be able to come up with your own phony accreditation.

Not to say AOLP is. But the customer..........how will they know, and will they care?

Anyway....back to the original question:

Your suppliers should have a better answer for what is typical. (Some of them even put on seminars, and will tell you that. Along with a lot of other things that you probably think that you already know, but.............)

A pro....someone who pays more attention to detail......they can charge more than an up-and-coming landscaper looking to branch out.

BTW..........there is more to lighting than just "knowing how to do all the installs". Like lighting design.

Chris J
08-28-2007, 01:22 AM
To put this in simple terms, anyone can "throw lights" into someones yard. If it were simple, the homeowner could just buy the home cheepo stuff and continue give the low voltage name a bad rep.
I'm in need of a new work shop. I have built a club-house for my kids, but I am not as skilled in the construction industry as I would like to be in order for me to have the quality built shop that I would like to have considering the frequent hurricanes that tend to visit us in Florida every summer. Does this make any sense yet?

NiteTymeIlluminations
08-28-2007, 08:43 AM
hey JTS...check your PMs ... I sent you some info on your local rep in Michigan that will be able to help you...asking that question in this forum doesn't get answers, sorry...just arguments obviously, but the answer you are looking for is found locally. Michigan is a rough market, contact the local rep and he'll get you rolling with seminars and stuff lke that! Just trying to be helpful!!!!