PDA

View Full Version : Is this bermudagrass???

chrisvinky
08-25-2007, 09:59 PM
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd249/chrisvinky/2007357.jpg

About half of my yard is now this stuff. It trys to take over my landscaping and in the winter it turns brown.

How do I get rid of it and get my yard planted in TTTF. Will reseeding it work, (I know, probably not)? Will I have to kill off the whole yard and seed again?

I've tried to kill this stuff before in my landscape and it's almost impossible. Whats the best way to do this.

jknowles4
08-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Like you said, it is almost impossible to kill bermuda and that's what it looks like to me. You pretty much have to dig it out. Try round up, hit it again after about 2 weeks and see if that will get rid of it.

lawnspecialties
08-25-2007, 10:40 PM
I'm having a hard time debating between bermuda and bahia. I'd like to see something beside it to give it scale. Does it shoot "stalks" up about a foot tall or just several inches?

chrisvinky
08-25-2007, 11:09 PM
It can grow over a foot tall shoots in my landscaping. It spreads along right under the ground and starts shooting up all along the horizontal shoots.

This stuff is a nightmare!!

When I first moved in 8 years ago, I had a little by the house. I redid all the landscaping and put in a block wall and about 2 feet of dirt over top of all this. I figured it would just die out. After a couple of years it came back and has just got worse every year.

GreenT
08-25-2007, 11:14 PM
I'm having a hard time debating between bermuda and bahia. I'd like to see something beside it to give it scale. Does it shoot "stalks" up about a foot tall or just several inches?

That is NOT bahia. I deal with it everyday.

Not sure if it is bermuda but is definitely not bahia

:waving:

sandman23
08-25-2007, 11:45 PM
It is not Bermudagrass. This is Bermudagrass (pic 1). My guess is Crabgrass or Goosegrass. How does it grow and what do the seedheads look like? I am fighting similar stuff (pic 2). It is ugly.

zebkedic
08-25-2007, 11:52 PM
This is wild Bermuda. Stuff is prevalent in the midwest of KY, MO, AR, etc. You can round up it a couple of times and try it, but it will come back and will require constant attention. Fusilade II will help you out with it, but you need to check it and treat it every 2-4 weeks. This is literally a project that can take you years to work on. It is a battle and the stuff is near impossible to control. I've renovated lawns, sprayed with roundup, let it sit 2 weeks, sprayed again, reseeded with TTTF, they i'm constantly going through and spot treating with Fusilade II, roundup, etc. to keep it worked out. Good luck to you.

chrisvinky
08-26-2007, 12:15 AM
If I spray, wait 2 weeks and spray again, how long should I wait to reseed?

Is slit seeding the best way??

Where can I get the FusiladeII??

What about Acclaim Extra and Turflon Ester? I read about them here http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/extension/presentations/2004/BermudaControlinTallFescue1-04.pdf
Also, where could I get these chemicals??

zebkedic
08-26-2007, 12:27 AM
couple of weeks for kill really is the key. Roundup functions through the leaves by stopping the production of proteins. Short story is it won't effect the germination of seed.

Slit seeding is a great way to re-seed.

http://www.syngentaprofessionalproducts.com/prodrender/index.asp?Prodid=344

This website you can find dealers in your area.

I have no experience with the other products, but http://www.lesco.com sells them I believe.

tjsquickcuts
08-26-2007, 02:08 AM
Not bermuda, no runners....Looks like fescue clump...most of it in my area is from erossion control....we fight with this stuff every year....but found that corsair works great against it....

zebkedic
08-26-2007, 03:00 AM
http://www.missouriplants.com/Grasses/Cynodon_dactylon_plant.jpg

Look familiar? Bermuda Grass from the midwest.

http://www.missouriplants.com/Grasses/Cynodon_dactylon_plant.jpg

bmauneySC
08-26-2007, 10:07 AM
there are a few products on the market that will control bermudagrass in turf as well as in ornamental plantings. I live in the southeast where bermuda is commonly used as a turf, and we always have encroachment problems. The best thing to use is round-up quickpro, be very careful if you have desirable plants or turf in the area. Another product that is slower acting but has given me good results is Synthoxidin. This product can be directly applied over the top of ornamentals and is labled to be used over some desirable turf stands. I have had very good results with this but it does require retreatment every two weeks for about 2 months. Fusilade also works though a lot of bermuda in my area has developed resistance to Fusilade. Good luck!! and if worse comes to worse, get out your shovel and start digging.

tjsquickcuts
08-26-2007, 12:55 PM
I really dont think you can ever kill bermuda, just sorta keep it dormant....Bermuda is tough, and can handle just about anything you throw at it....Quik Pro works well, but like BmauneySC said, you have to keep retreating for best results....Once those runners start spreading out, its a up hill battle thats why I am glad 90% of my lawns are Bermuda, with 9% Zoysia, and 1% Fescue....All but one of my fescue lawns have been invaded by Bermuda....the few that I have that haven't been invaded are not near any homes with Bermuda....I just try and keep my Fescue high, over 4 inches to help hide the Bermuda during the spring and summer....bermuda thins out if its too high....

mowtime
08-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Has anyone tried acclaim extra for bermuda control in fescue, I have a friend that says it works well.

RigglePLC
08-31-2007, 08:41 PM
I have used Acclaim Extra plus triclopyr--five treatments so far--not much effect on the bermuda. Michigan.

nmurph
09-13-2007, 01:06 PM
i think what SC meant was Sethoxydim (Poast aka Grass Getter). he is right about it killing bermuda (bahia also) and being safe over ornamentals. it will take a couple or three applications and then you have to be ready for the next couple of yrs as the existing seed germinate.