PDA

View Full Version : Use of starting fluid on small engines

fixer67
08-26-2007, 01:23 AM
I see on here time and time again about using starting fluid on mower engine. DO NOT DO THAT. I have seen spark plugs blown right out of the head, mufflers blown off and even carbs blown out. Starting fluid has way too much kick for a small engine. And you will turn any engine into a "dope addict" by using starting fluid. You can take a brand new engine right out of the box and start using starting fluid on it and soon the engine will become addicted to it and will not start not matter what unless you use it.

By the way I know my self for a fact of two people that got "shot" from using starting fluid. One used it on a chain saw and the spark plug blew out and went into his shoulder. The other one used it on a push mower. He got shot in the leg. Both had to go to the hospital.
I would have love to have seen the X-ray techs face when he seen those X-rays.:confused:

Breezmister
08-26-2007, 02:09 AM
I see on here time and time again about using starting fluid on mower engine. DO NOT DO THAT. I have seen spark plugs blown right out of the head, mufflers blown off and even carbs blown out. Starting fluid has way too much kick for a small engine.

I've seen a guy spray nearly half a can into a Kubota diesel, I walked away laughing after he twisted the crank and had one of the pistons come out the side of the case. You should NEVER use starting fluid to start a diesel ! Then there are the guys that use it to mount those big balloon tires to the rim :dizzy: Oh well, we all have to learn from our mistakes, thou it's better to learn from others :rolleyes:

khouse
08-26-2007, 03:51 AM
I have worked on diesel tractors with starting fluid can adapters on it from the factory. Everything in moderation.

MowerMedic77
08-26-2007, 09:07 AM
While we are on this topic another no:nono:no is using carb spray to start 2 cycle engines :hammerhead: The carb spray does not have the lubrication properties needed and the unit will start but it will be running lean(no oil)

Have had more then a few in the shop that the customers have said "well it runs when I spray it with carb spray"

Restrorob
08-26-2007, 09:37 AM
One used it on a chain saw and the spark plug blew out and went into his shoulder.

Fixer, I guess you know your giving would be robbers an idea for a new weapon......

Years ago when in the auto biz I had a customer with a Chevy blazer (diesel) the glow plugs went out in. He busted four starter nose cones and snapped the bolts off in the block twice.

He had a half dozen cans of starting fluid thrown in the passenger floor area.

With the tow and repair cost of two starter repairs he could have had the glow plugs repaired but kept
declining. :dizzy:

fixer67
08-26-2007, 07:18 PM
Fixer, I guess you know your giving would be robbers an idea for a new weapon......

Now there is an idea. Modify your potato cannon to shot spark plug. I guess that is one way to recycle them.

fixer67
08-26-2007, 07:24 PM
I have worked on diesel tractors with starting fluid can adapters on it from the factory. Everything in moderation.

On a diesel tractor yes but I have not see one on a B&S 3.5HP mower engine yet. Spray half a can in one of them and you have a bomb.
Moderation is a word that seems not to be in most peoples vocabulary.

khouse
08-27-2007, 01:46 AM
Maybe we can adapt the tractor primer onto the Briggs!!! :hammerhead:

Ironic
08-27-2007, 11:29 AM
the only time I use it, is to test something out in the field. if it starts with a quick shot of ether, then dies....it has spark and no fuel. gives me quick idea of where to start my search.
I would never use it as a way to start it every time.
and to mount very large tires like on a semi or bus...it does work. but it racks my nerves every time.

khouse
08-27-2007, 04:15 PM
I too have used it to bead some tough tires. Some new tires I get are just about smashed flat. I quick shot of fluid and BAMB it's on. Kind of like a rubber tire potato gun!

Restrorob
08-27-2007, 06:06 PM
Some new tires I get are just about smashed flat.

Same here but I just knock the rear bead on the rim enough for it to hold (without soap) then set it on top of two other tires (stacked without rims) then put my foot in the center of the rim and air it up.

Ain't no way I'M using starting fluid......:nono:

MowerMedic77
08-27-2007, 09:28 PM
I too have used it to bead some tough tires. Some new tires I get are just about smashed flat. I quick shot of fluid and BAMB it's on.

Just remember to pull the valve core out(before you hit them with the heat) and not to put your finger over it as the very hot air escapes :hammerhead:

I have done this more times then I care to remember, very scary but also very effective:laugh:

DiyDave
08-27-2007, 09:51 PM
We used to do it with the old ether, but this new crap must be ozone friendly or some other government regulated bs, because it doesn't pop the tire up as hard as the old cans of drydene used to! I went to a home made version of the bead cheater device- I welded a 1-1/2" ball valve to a 7-1/2 gallon tank, put about a 10" length of pipe on the valve, mashed the outer end flat, now I just point at the tire and open the valve and blast the tire onto the bead. Small lawnmower front tires go on the bead and out the door in one flick of the wrist!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Breezmister
08-27-2007, 10:09 PM
and to mount very large tires like on a semi or bus...it does work. but it racks my nerves every time.

:laugh: Back in the day, when I was going to the Burlington County fire school, we were taught that a gallon of gas was equal to 8 1/2 pounds, and that gasoline was pound for pound equal to dynamite. I don't even want to know what starting fluid is equal to :confused: If you have ever watched the Military channel, then you might have seen what they call a fuel/air explosion
that are now used as bombs. Go buy a cheetah air tank and you will not have to worry about blowing up :hammerhead:

khouse
08-27-2007, 11:05 PM
Aquanet hair spray works too. This way the tire pops on and not a hair out of place!

SILVERSTREAK INC
08-28-2007, 01:33 AM
id be lost without ether to bead my tires, just the other day my velkie wheel came off the rim cause one of the morons drove the lazer into it too hard when parking it on the trailer and blew the tire off...

spent half an hr with my dinky compressor and rope trying to squeeze it onto the rim, finally found my can of ether and boom, diddnt even have to add air

id feel better with the compressor at home, but sometimes you have those emergencies....or that weedwacker on its 9999th hour of life that needs a rebuild and wont start any other way

i need ether with my cat 955 in the cold, its from those days without glow plugs...but granted you gotta know what youre doing as you can really screw stuff up on diesels