PDA

View Full Version : New Hardscapes Fixture......Not Bad.

Go Halogen
08-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Yesterday I used this fixture for the first time. It is a Vista SL4269 rail/cap light. I was working in conjunction with a hardscaper. The customer wanted to light up their paver walls and have part of the patio lit as well. My John Deere Rep recommended this fixture. It actually slides under the paver cap.

Has anyone used this yet? If so please let me know what your thoughts are.

It came with a 5 or 10 watt xenon lamp with frosted lens. The install went fast and no drilling.

Go Halogen
08-26-2007, 10:55 AM
My fault.....not SL4269. It was a SL4260.

JoeyD
08-26-2007, 01:00 PM
integral makes the same light. i heard a lot of people like it but it leaves the socket and lamp completely exposed. not sure how the vista looks and works.

NightScenes
08-26-2007, 01:24 PM
I was going to say the same thing. Integral came out with them a while back. It's funny how quickly the different manufactures will jump on something.

Go Halogen
08-26-2007, 01:55 PM
Well, I have used Integral's version as well. It was pretty neat in the beginning. But I had some issues with little kid touching the burning lamp....Ouch!

Vista's has a lens and greater diversity in lamp sizes.

The fixture actually can be used two different ways. I used it with the steel wing for under cap mounting. If you remove the steel wing you can direct mount the fixture into wooden steps, under rails and that just the beginning.

I am going to noodle with this fixture at my house. It is small enough to use in some interesting ways. I attached a PDF for you all to look at on the original thread.

Check it out....you may figure out a new way to use it

Pro-Scapes
08-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Whats with that pricing ? MSRP ?

I got the integrals here as samples. Not real impressed with em due to the open design of it. Kinda expensive for a plate and socket with a face plate.

Go Halogen
08-26-2007, 08:23 PM
That must be list pricing, since it is advertised on their website.
I paid around $41.00 for each.

YardPro
08-26-2007, 08:59 PM
i met with the vista regional rep months back and showed him the hadco's we were having to use on the kitchen jobs we were doing. we said that something was in the works.

klkanders
08-26-2007, 11:28 PM
I have the Integral also. i just got it actually last week and took it to a customers house and set it up temporarily on one of two large SRW walls he wants lit. On another area of the wall to show a different effect I set up a Stellar pointing at the wall from the bottom side. He wasn't crazy about seeing the bulb of the Integral from the lower yard as there are steps leading up between the lower and upper walls. He liked the Stellar better on the upper wall which is a little taller and using the Integral (or maybe vista now with frosted lens?) on the lower wall. The Stellar lit more area and tended to smooth out the roughness of the wall whereas the Integral beam spread was more defined and accented the rough texture.

Go Halogen
08-28-2007, 08:12 PM
If you try this fixture, be aware that if ordered standard it will come with a 5 watt xenon lamp and frosted lens (that is what I got). I bought a 10 watt xenon lamp just to try and it was too bright for my sitting wall areas. The 10 watt did well for the taller retaining walls. The installation went pretty smooth. I worked with a harderscaper buddy of mine who left the marked paver caps unglued until I was finished.

Andy

klkanders
08-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Andy, Did the caps sticking up a little bother anyone? What kind of block was the wall made of? I still think I might have my cut-off saw with diamond blade handy if i need to cut any channels on last course of block.
Andy PM me if you dont mind with your cost and where you buy them from. Thanks!

Go Halogen
08-28-2007, 08:41 PM
I did cut a channel groove (minor) to the underside of the cap.
It may have stuck up a bit, but the glue helps settle the cap and
create a level consistancy. I will PM you the rest.

Pro-Scapes
08-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Andy..Where and how did you make the connections ? path of one I will be doing will be a double sides wall so I may have to make a dadoe and core drill an area for a splice ?

Any pictures of the install procedure ?

Go Halogen
08-29-2007, 10:46 AM
DS walls are not as easy. So far my walls have been single sided and easy to install these. If I were doing a ds wall I would cut a channel for my home run (down the length of the wall) and chip away or drill out my splice areas.

It will not be that bad....12 gauge will be the biggest wire. If its a short wall,
you would probably use the 5watt lamp and you can daisy chain those buggers. Of course this is all easy for to say....I hope that it goes well for you.

I am looking forward to my 1st double sided wall. I stayed away for hardscape lighting for years. Too many cranky hardscapers to work around.
I finally got in with a friend that does fantastic hardscape and masonry walls.
And this fixture really does make it easy.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Go Halogen
09-03-2007, 12:01 AM
I used 4 more of these units today....(Holiday weekends do not slow me down)....but I will sit back and have a few cold ones tomorrow.

I ordered them with longer pigtails and connected them together for easier
installation. I will get some night-time images this week and post them.

The granite powder coating matched well with Harvest Blend Ep Henry Coventry wall block. (I used it on Dakota blend befor and it matched well).

Andy

ChampionLS
09-03-2007, 12:59 AM
We install lighting to Retaining walls, Pillars and Step risers on a weekly basis. EP Henry's Coventry line allows you to run your wire in between the blocks, through the pinning groove. If you use Techo block, you can route the wire down the set back groove, and theres enough room for wire nuts. On a solid block wall (Versa-Lok) you may need to cut a channel with a cut off saw, or a big table saw. Most jobs are hollow block and there's plenty of room for wiring.