PDA

View Full Version : moles, chipmunks?...help!!

ojonesy
09-12-2001, 10:02 AM
:confused:
I have a problem that I haven't seen in the 7 years since
I built my house. This summer I started to notice very shallow tunnels under my lawn; you can feel them under foot. There all over the place. I see quite a few chipmunks in the yard. I have never seen moles. What do I do? I have a dog so I really don't want to leave poison out we he can get at it. What do you think it is and what do you suggest I do? Thank you in advance for your help. I haven't noticed any turf damage yet. My neighbor seems to think I should just leave it alone.

GroundKprs
09-12-2001, 09:42 PM
Chipmunks burrow underground, but do not tunnel. Their burrows are not obvious because they carry excavated soil away from burrow entrance and spread it, so predators cannot recognize entrances.

What you describe sounds like moles, and you will rarely see them above ground. For good info on moles, go to http://www.agcom.purdue.edu/AgCom/Pubs/pdflinks/ADM-10.html . As this document will show, trapping is the only effective control; barriers are extremely laborious to construct.

ojonesy
09-13-2001, 08:11 AM
thank you very much!!

lawnboy82
09-13-2001, 04:28 PM
You probably do have moles if you are talking about shallow tunnels. They are sticking around your place because you have food for them. They like to eat, you guessed it- grubs. To get rid of the grubs you can put down an insecticide such as merit, or dursban, etc. When you apply this chemical do not let the dog out on the lawn. Take the dog for walks when it has to use the facilities.

GroundKprs
09-13-2001, 08:47 PM
One of the biggest fallacies about moles: KILL THE GRUBS, AND THE MOLES WILL GO AWAY???! This summer the biggest mole problem I had was in July, when few, if any, grubs are present. Grubs are a delicacy, not a staple, to the moles. In fact they are a delicacy to many animals: raccoons, skunks, bears to name a few, and to some human cultures in the Pacific - Indian Ocean region. Moles eat all kinds of soil creatures.

"Kill the grubs, get rid of the moles" is the line of a huckster trying to sell you something. You might reduce mole pressure if you apply something that will kill all soil life in your area, but mother nature has a way of replenishing this life soon.

ERIC ROBERGE
09-15-2001, 03:00 AM
I can`t remember where i read this, or if it works. Try putting used kitty litter near the tunnels or the entrances if you can find them. I suppose there is a predator and prey situation there.
Oh, you may want to keep an eye on fido if you do this. Dogs like the taste of the chuncks in the kitty litter. If you know what i mean. YUCK!!!

Alan
09-19-2001, 09:38 PM
Oh yeah,, da puppies LOVE them crumble coated tootsie rolls!

1grnlwn
09-28-2001, 09:06 PM
The only way to kill moles is with the spike traps. If you get one i would be happy to tell you the tricks to being an efficient mole hunter.

gusbuster
10-02-2001, 11:35 PM
If it is moles, try a product called "mole-mede". I've been using this for a while with good results. Doesn't work all the time, but works enough times to make me a beliver. Just make sure you follow the instructions. do a web search for Mole-Mede. They do have a site that you can order directly from.

John