PDA

View Full Version : Dead grass over septic tank....?

MoGreen
08-27-2007, 01:35 AM
I have read that it is methane gas which causes the dead grass....Is there any way of keeping it green? My lawn looks pretty good, but occasionally gets the brown path that my septic system runs in my back yard....
Any ideas?

LawnSharks
08-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Don't think it is from the methane gas that is escaping form the system. Normally what we see is that the small amount of dirt on the lid of the tank does not hold sufficient water to feed the roots of the grass. Same with shallow buried run-off lines. My suggestion, simply water this area a little more and you should see green grass again.
Good luck!

Newt*
08-28-2007, 01:55 AM
MoGreen, there are other possibilities too. Check the pH of the soil in those areas. You may find it's too alkaline for the grass you are growing. Many household chemicals are highly alkaline. High salt levels are another possibility.
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohort/426-617/426-617.html#L6

When was the last time your septic system was cleaned out? Is it an older system which isn't as deep as many newer systems?

Newt

MoGreen
08-29-2007, 11:05 AM
It's about 3 years old, but is pretty shallow......
I remember getting the irrigation put in..The installer actually hit one of the pvc pipes that run out into the drainfield. It was only about 2 ft below the surface! I'll check into it though. Thanks for the info!