PDA

View Full Version : Lost my brake lights

SpartanBill
08-27-2007, 03:01 PM
'00 Ram 2500-- My brake lights went out the other day, all other lights still working (4-ways,turn sig., & running). Doesn't appear to be a fuse prob. and I already replaced the brake light switch. Anybody have any suggestions on where to look. I hate trouble shooting auto/electrical problems.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Bill

TXNSLighting
08-27-2007, 04:28 PM
bulbs...and its a dodge so what ya expect? :laugh: Kiddin, seriously check bulbs, then the sockets. go down the line.

mowingguy
08-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Spartan, mine did this often. Check the ground. I ended up putting a new ground on each and have had no issues since. -SL

P.Services
08-27-2007, 05:57 PM
i have the same truck and had the same problem, just lay under it and reach up to the taillights and unplug them then pull them down and with a tester probe just push threw the insulation and see if it has current on the one or both sides of the connector, i just cut the connector out and crimped them together

SpartanBill
08-27-2007, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I prolly should have checked the bulbs before I posted, if for no other reason than throughness and to eliminate from the list of suspects. I fig. since both went out at the same time AND the bright (4-ways) and dim (park lights) worked that it was brake system related.

I just hit it with my test light, as per Brian and all is good from the Ground-to-Major and Ground-to-Minor wires as marked on bulb socket. Also I tested the bulbs 2 seperate filiments both good.

MowingGuy, how far back from the socket did you go with the new ground?

Thanks again,
Bill

corey4671
08-27-2007, 08:24 PM
bad or loose ground

SpartanBill
08-29-2007, 03:29 AM
Well thanks for all the help. It ended being a fuse I over looked, in the power distribution box labeled "stop lamp", leave it to an engineer to label "brake light" as "stop lamp". I should have been more through in my search for the "brake light" fuse. Again, thanks. I posted this problem 1/2 hr. earlier on a dodge truck forum and have only gotten 1 response as of post time. Now I know where to find all the drivers that use their trucks to make money.

p.s. How do I get my back doors open?? see next post........

KTO Enterprises
09-01-2007, 12:20 PM
p.s. How do I get my back door open??

Rob a liquor store and spend some time in jail

SpartanBill
09-02-2007, 01:46 AM
Rob a liquor store and spend some time in jail
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But seriously, both of the back doors on my crew cab won't open, bottom latch is seized or bound somehow. Things would be alot eaiser if I could get the F@*KIN' door open. We had other 2 company trucks, 2500 Dodge and F350 with 1 stuck door. Any Ideas?

Bill

Scag48
09-02-2007, 04:04 AM
Some days I really wanna buy a Dodge just for the Cummins diesel but then I hear stories of how you can't get doors to open on an '00 Ram and I just want to overlook Dodge completely. That sucks, I'm sorry, but that would absolutely piss me off.

meador56
09-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Can't figure why there seems to be so many problems with trucks. We have 98 2500 with Cummins and 5spd with 165,000 been asked to do too much and no problems. Replaced clutch slave once. 2000 GMC 3500 454 5spd 108,800 no problems, this truck stays tied to a trailer all the time, heavy ones no problem. 99 Chevy 1500 136,000 bought with rebuilt title at 80,000 for 8400 I figure this truck will still bring 5000+, water pump and brake pads, thats all. Bought 93 Ford new couldn't keep cluch slaves in it but other than that no problem. How is it ya'll tear up all this stuff?

topsites
09-04-2007, 02:35 AM
btw I sure hate to send LS members elsewhere, but I'm on my 2nd Dodge ram 3/4 ton and I have yet to find a better resource than www.dodgeforum.com

For other US truck owners, of course there's www.fordforum.com and www.chevroletforum.com (might be spelled chevy)

SpartanBill
09-05-2007, 02:16 AM
Some days I really wanna buy a Dodge just for the Cummins diesel but then I hear stories of how you can't get doors to open on an '00 Ram and I just want to overlook Dodge completely. That sucks, I'm sorry, but that would absolutely piss me off.

just to let you know we had the same door prob. w/an F250 PowerStroke, 01' & another '01 Dodge. I have a feeling that the other Dodge prob. was due to the "boss' " kids/monsters playing w/power locks and doors. We bought the ford w/the prob. the Dodge was new.
I have no love for dodge, it's just what I ended up with when my previous employer screwed me. It has treated me well considering the previous operator preformed VERY little maint.
However the caravan I was given w/ 170,000 mi was almost industructable. At 1 point I had 35 5 gal. junipers in it, different time more than 40 yds. of sod.
Personally I'm kinda partial to Ford, they have done pretty well in my experience

KTO Enterprises
09-05-2007, 10:20 AM
One back door on my 96 wont open sometimes. What causes it is the lock not completely unlocking. I usually have to reach in from the front door and manually pull up on the lock to get the door to open.