PDA

View Full Version : Help! How to price and perform aeration and overseeding?

Tyler7692
08-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Hello all,

I would like to start aerating and overseeding and don't know where to begin.

What is the proper method to do both? What order?

What should I use to aerate yards up to 3/4 of an acre and what would I use to seed them?

A little push aerator and a push spreader?

(I am all new to this)

What is a "split seeder" (Something I overheard)

Any help you guys can give me on how to aerate and overseed is greatly appreciated.

As far as price goes, could someone give me a midwest price range just to give me an idea as to where to start? I will use the range to figure up my costs and time so I can bid and turn a profit.

Thanks a lot!

Tyler

Tyler7692
08-28-2007, 11:51 PM
Nobody and 42 views?

Come on!

Please just take a second to comment if you have any useful information...

Thanks, its greatly appreciated

Tyler

senatorcongressman
08-30-2007, 12:17 PM
Depends on the condition of the lawn. If it is established and in good shape, aerating will help with soil compaction, drainage (corers more so than spikers) and to some degree de-thatching. If there is excessive thatch than de-thatching with a de-thatcher might be needed. Aeration (and de-thatching) should be followed by overseeding. If the lawn is in poor shape (ie mostly crabgrass) and needs a good rejuvination, a vertical mower or slit-seeder can be used to slice into the turf, cutting slits in it. The slit-seeder takes it a step further and deposits seed in the slits. This action is potentially damaging to the root system of the existing turf, so some people say not to do it unless the lawn is in pretty bad shape to begin with. If you are clearing some ivy and brush a good tiller works best.

I would probably start with a decent push-type core aerator for yards that size and a broadcast spreader.

Don't forget to water.

I can't offer advice to pricing as I've been out of this business for 10+ years.

Tyler7692
08-30-2007, 08:38 PM
SenatorCongressman,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I appreciate your help.