PDA

View Full Version : what power do I need?

Sym
08-27-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm a solo op with an occasional helper (when I can keep one employed)

I pull Wright 48 Z and a 36 Sentar
2 trimmers, edgers, blowers, 1 hedge trimmer and 1 power pruner
oh yeah....couple of gas tanks:)

my trailer is 6x12...2 cycle racks on each side and a box across the front of the trailer (for the blowers)
I think I am towing about 3000-3500 lbs total weight (though I could be way off)

I am currently pulling this with a 2001 Jeep Cherokee:hammerhead: and would really like to upgrade. The Jeep (bless it's heart) is really not built for this. it is a 6 cyl.

I just started looking and I can't decide if I need a V8 over a V6. I know a V8 will pull anything I need to pull, but wouldn't a V6 with a towing package (like the Tacoma) be sufficient.
My Jeep pulls the trailer with the back wheels all squished down and the front headlights pointing a little up (from the weight of that box)..... would this happen on a Tacoma/Frontier etc? Keep in mind I JUST started looking and have not even been to a dealer yet....just looking for some input from some professionals:drinkup:

WhitakerServices
08-27-2007, 09:54 PM
With your truck I think it is best to buy something well qualified to tow with. I just went from a v6 toyota 4x4 to an F350 and I like not having to worry about merging or braking. Although an f350 may be a bit much, it has brakes and power to spare and the fuel economy on a maxed out toyota and a diesel f350 are about the same. Buy something with plenty of power and plenty of brakes and you won't be thrashing it so hard when you tow with it daily.

zz4guy
08-27-2007, 10:07 PM
With 3500lbs hauled all the time I would get at least a 3/4 ton. I use a 3/4 to haul about the same weight as you and it hauls good, but I wouldn't mind even a little more power.

You will wear that Jeep into the ground in no time compared to a bigger truck. The engine and trans will wear out quicker, you'll be doing more frequent brake jobs and suspension parts will wear out much sooner too.

You'll save yourself time and money in the long run if you go buy yourself a 3/4 ton or bigger.

Not to mention that setup is not safe to haul around all the time. You are an accident waiting to happen with that much weight behind a Jeep and no trailer brakes.

By the way most 3/4 tons will have a V8. Some have a diesel which can save you some mileage. But that stressed V6 probably isn't doing much better than a non-stressed V8.

TXNSLighting
08-28-2007, 09:02 AM
I have a 3/4 ton diesel now, mine weighs about 35-4000 pounds and im getting a 350 in december, but you need atleast a half ton for that weight. the bigger the truck the better.

lawnboy dan
08-28-2007, 12:40 PM
i tow almost the same setup with my tundra v6 and it does fine-better than my chevy 305 in fact.

EMJ
08-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Some time a bigger motor will get better gas milage due to the fact that it does not work as hard.

deere615
08-28-2007, 09:39 PM
I would most definetly get a V8 you might be pushing it getting a half ton, Thats what I have and I would recommend 3/4 ton if you can afford it. Chevy, GMC, Ford is what I would recommend.

gammon landscaping
08-28-2007, 09:46 PM
get a 3/4 and have room to grow later, on thing i hate is when i have to pass on a job/buying a machine because of transporting issues. you will save money with a 3/4, maybe a bit more upfront but it will be alot less parts and fuel when you are trying to work with it and not on it

Sym
08-29-2007, 08:46 PM
thanx for the input....I guess the next question is ..

How do I talk my wife into a new truck:laugh: