PDA

View Full Version : How long will it take to lay 10k of sod?

big_country
08-27-2007, 10:15 PM
I am usually a seeding kind of guy, but have a client that wants to sod. The lawn is about 10,000 square feet, how long does it take two guys to lay that much sod?

NickN
08-28-2007, 09:34 AM
You're looking at 23 pallets(if 450sq ft per pallet).
Are you just laying,or is there prep involved?
How will you move the sod from one location to another?
Honestly,two guys isn't enough for sod laying.The more hands you have,the easier it will be.
We just laid 3600 sq ft(8 pallets) this weekend.4 guys and it took 12 hours.We had to prep the area (tilling,raking out dead grass,grading).Also did some irrigation repair while there, which bumped us up to 15 hours.
If we had just been laying the sod(2 men throwing sod/2 men laying) we could have been done in about 7 hours.There wasn't a square edge anywhere on the lot.Every edge had to be cut to match the flower beds.

I'd say,with two of you,about 4 days to lay 23 pallets.

Stillwater
08-28-2007, 11:04 AM
without knowing all the details I would guess about 14 minutes give or take 2 days.

JB1
08-28-2007, 01:33 PM
without knowing all the details I would guess about 14 minutes give or take 2 days.

would that be 8 or 10 hour days. :dancing:

Stillwater
08-28-2007, 01:42 PM
would that be 8 or 10 hour days. :dancing:

Without the details I guess it would be 10 hour days give or take 5 or 10 minutes.

MarcSmith
08-28-2007, 02:46 PM
with the pallet reasonable close to where you need it, you should be able to lay a pallet an hour. If you have load the sod onto wheel barrows and move it around that way. better double it...

Assuming all prep work is done...

I used a stick edger to cut all my sod after its all laid. No messing with machete's or shovels until its all done. A bit more waste, but probably a wash with the increased efficiency...

Stillwater
08-28-2007, 03:16 PM
with the pallet reasonable close to where you need it, you should be able to lay a pallet an hour. If you have load the sod onto wheel barrows and move it around that way. better double it...

Assuming all prep work is done...

I used a stick edger to cut all my sod after its all laid. No messing with machete's or shovels until its all done. A bit more waste, but probably a wash with the increased efficiency...

I used to use a razor knife but i do it your way now 10 times as fast

GreenT
08-28-2007, 03:17 PM
I am usually a seeding kind of guy, but have a client that wants to sod. The lawn is about 10,000 square feet, how long does it take two guys to lay that much sod?

You need 6 guys, two days.

big_country
08-28-2007, 05:20 PM
I know how long the prep work is going to take, you prep the same way you would to seed. The customer is trying to decide on sod or seed and I need to show him the difference in the price. I just need to know how long it will take to straight lay the sod after prep work is done. It is a corner lot so the pallets would be fairly close, if not it could be loaded in the bucket and moved. Someone said about 8 to 10 hours, thats what I was leaning towards, but never laid much sod.

MarcSmith
08-28-2007, 06:03 PM
I used to use a razor knife but i do it your way now 10 times as fast

st augutine and Bahia just laugh at razoe knives....the machete worked great and then oen day I laid the sod not really caring about the bed lines and then came back with the edger...., nice smooth lines...

GreenT
08-28-2007, 06:23 PM
st augutine and Bahia just laugh at razoe knives....the machete worked great and then oen day I laid the sod not really caring about the bed lines and then came back with the edger...., nice smooth lines...

Yup, me too. I figured that one the first time.

Nice, clean, fast.

Dreams To Designs
08-29-2007, 09:53 AM
A crew of 3 should be able to lay 2-3 pallets an hour. You should also have someone fine tuning, trimming or moving the sod for the crew that is laying it. You can get this job done in two days with the right crew, but you'd best budget for a third. A lot depends on the prep work and staging of materials. I have found a Japanese farmer's knife or soil knife to be the best tool for trimming sod, but I'll try the stick edger method.

Kirk

Stillwater
08-29-2007, 10:43 AM
I have also used a carpet knife it has a curve,leatherman wave, steak knife,bread knife, pocket knife swiss army, my buck 110, Gerber hunting,Ginzu,

big_country
08-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the help guys but I still want to clear things up. The ones that say two days; is that about a day for prep and a day for sodding? The prep I feel it will take about 7 hours, tilling, spreading two tri-axle loads of topsoil, and leveling, of course that is with the tractor. Then I figure about 10 hours to lay the sod. Am I close?

GreenT
08-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Then I figure about 10 hours to lay the sod. Am I close?

No way you can lay over 20 pallets in 10 hours with just two guys.

Dreams To Designs
08-29-2007, 05:37 PM
I did a job with an installer last summer, 13k of sod, till, compost, till, harley rake, six guys, 3 full days with a skid steer and a tractor with a 3 point hitch for tiller and rake.

Kirk

big_country
08-30-2007, 09:31 PM
The sod is going to run about $1500, would it be a fair amount to charge the same to lay it?

GreenT
08-30-2007, 10:55 PM
The sod is going to run about $1500, would it be a fair amount to charge the same to lay it?

$65 a pallet is a great price. I pay $145 for St. Augustine delivered and charge $450.

Call around to get quotes and see what your market's price is. Never underbid sod, is hard work, specially this time of year.

Good luck

Lawnworks
09-01-2007, 05:20 PM
I think it is possible to lay 20 pallets of sod in in about 10-12 hours. Two of my guys did 13 pallets the other day in about 7 hours... so I think you are right on. I figure one man hour per pallet of grass.... in typical sodding conditions. It is also nice to have a skid steer to move around the pallets.

Lawnworks
09-01-2007, 05:22 PM
You need 6 guys, two days.

Do these guys have all of their limbs attached? Did you fetch them from county prison? Are they legally ******ed?

2 days and 6 guys... I could have close 100 pallets down on the ground.

grassrangers
09-01-2007, 07:22 PM
we can lay 3-4 pallets a hour (2' X 5' rolls) and 1-2.5 pallets a hour 12"X18" squares. 3 guys

BrandonV
09-01-2007, 07:46 PM
we can lay 3-4 pallets a hour (2' X 5' rolls) and 1-2.5 pallets a hour 12"X18" squares. 3 guys

we normally use the rolls ourself and we're pretty much right on with you on that number. normally we divide up into two groups start in the middle and race to opposite sides, competetion is good. we avg about 18 pallets a day with prepwork included. I don't like to prep a day before because of washout potential.. but my rotodarian [sp?] attacment for the dw has REALLY helped out on that front.

big_country
09-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks lawnworks and grassrangers, those are the kind of answers I was looking for. Somewhere I read two guys with basic skills could lay about 100 yards in an hour. Thats were I came up with my estimate, these three more days were starting to scare me.

Lawnworks
09-05-2007, 07:21 PM
We have got 20 pallets tomorrow. I am going to use three guys... plan to be done in 8-9 hours... I'll let you know what the actual man hours are tomorrow.

turfnh2oman
09-06-2007, 12:19 AM
540 sq.ft. per pallet is 60 sq. yds.

I usually figure 3 men can lay a pallet in 45 minutes if your just laying and carrying it off the truck 20 feet or so. Bigger job like 10,k sq.ft. strategically place pallets to maximize efficiency. You can figure 3 guys 45 minutes but when all said and done it'll probably add up to about an hour per pallet by the end of the day with heat, wear and tear on labor, etc. If you're packing it around from truck to lay point [wheelbarrows or whatever] you almost double your total time because half your lay time is lost due to transport time. Don't forget to add in clean-up and trimming.

Lawnworks
09-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Finished the 20 pallets... it took us 9 hours... or 27 man hours.

Tadams
09-06-2007, 10:03 PM
I agree with what Lawnworks has said. Around here we can lay a pallet of sod an hour per person. This is for Bermuda, fescue takes a little longer but we are not laying that this time of year. If you can get a couple of day laborers (hispanics) they can throw it alot faster. Pay them each $100 and they will have it laid, trimmed, and cleaned up before the end of the day.

Stillwater
09-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Finished the 20 pallets... it took us 9 hours... or 27 man hours.

3 guys 9 hours 20 pallets thats sounds right on give or take a little. If that included final clean up and fine tuning then you guys must have busted butt. I could actually see that 20 skids taking longer than you did.

Stillwater
09-07-2007, 12:47 AM
I agree with what Lawnworks has said. Around here we can lay a pallet of sod an hour per person. This is for Bermuda, fescue takes a little longer but we are not laying that this time of year. If you can get a couple of day laborers (hispanics) they can throw it alot faster. Pay them each $100 and they will have it laid, trimmed, and cleaned up before the end of the day.

I don't want to start anything hear so I will keep the rant short. If I was the customer and you showed up at my house with day laborers and they could not provide me with immediate and rock solid proof of legality I would have handed your deposit back to you, refunded any other material cost you incurred thanked you for your trouble and sent you on your way. Why don't you just take the American flag banner off your signature and put up the Mexican flag with your 100 dollar a day buddies becouse it is clear the country you are looking out for is not of the Flag you are flying.

big_country
09-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks for your help lawnworks.

NewHorizon's Land
10-07-2007, 06:44 PM
eshskis: Who ever said about using illegals. Temp Job Companies have hispanics, americans, and what ever else. Hispanics work faster than Americans. End of story.