PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a new transformer?

Mrsamman
08-28-2007, 12:12 AM
I have a 10 year old 300 watt Vista transformer. It has been installed in my current application for about 4 months. It now makes the light blink periodically, It says its the thermal protector but I only have 260 watts on two runs of 50 to 60 ft each.
Thanks for your responses and patience.
Scott

JackTorsed
08-28-2007, 12:39 AM
I have a 10 year old 300 watt Vista transformer. It has been installed in my current application for about 4 months. It now makes the light blink periodically, It says its the thermal protector but I only have 260 watts on two runs of 50 to 60 ft each.
Thanks for your responses and patience.
Scott

It says its the thermal protector

Who or what is it?

Is it one of those black units with the flip top and the small white european terminals on the bottom exposed to the open ground. if so it's probably your terminal block that's rotting apart. Does it have a white push button (thermal) or a switch (magnetic breaker) for the low voltage protection?

NightScenes
08-28-2007, 12:39 AM
Remember, wire has a load as well. You might want to cut back a little more on your load. How much is on each home run?

ar-t
08-28-2007, 12:51 AM
1.) I would not run a transformer over 80% of rated capacity. Just because it can supply more is not a good reason to do so.

2.) None of the Vista transformers that I have used have an blinking light indication of thermal overload. They just have a circuit breaker ("white switch") on the LV side.

3.) Have you measured the current draw on either the input or output? And the input voltage, to get an accurate VA load?

Mrsamman
08-28-2007, 09:46 AM
Jack,
Yes it has those small blocks and the small white push button circuit breaker, but it never pops, the lights just flicker. I have 90 watts on one block and 170 watts on the other, Last night disconnected two 20 watts and that stopped it. Why after 4 months would it start acting up, I do realize its 10 yrs old. Should I get it looked at and fixed or buy a new one?
Thanks
Scott

TXNSLighting
08-28-2007, 10:44 AM
get a 600.

Pro-Scapes
08-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Buy new and be done with it. Just get a quality 600 unit so your not over loaded and you can also add a few lights. Sounds like you have some corrosion or other issues (load is borderline) causing the thermal breaker to open and close when it gets hot. Gets hot lights cut out... cools off lights cut on.

You reduced load and its ok... its not overheating so either locate the bad connection and or remove some lights from the system or its tranny time.

Mrsamman
08-28-2007, 11:21 PM
Anyone have a used 600 watt they want to sell?

David Gretzmier
08-29-2007, 01:27 AM
hmm... I don't know if we can sell on this site or not, I'm one state over...

Pro-Scapes
08-29-2007, 09:18 AM
If you email me I might be able to point you in the right direction. I can list one on ebay for ya... click on my site below and email me and I will set it up