PDA

View Full Version : How do guys get away doing stuff like this?

ar-t
08-28-2007, 12:18 AM
Long story short........especially since I am still fuming over this. (It is one of those feisty Italian things.)

The landscape company I do most of my work through calls me to fix some wires that they tore up with the trencher, during a new irrigation system install.

Only problem.........it is UF-B, going to some mercury vapour lights, in trees..................4" below the surface, maybe 6". And no conduit. (Of course!)

IOW........about 18" too close to the surface.

The customer swears it was put in by a licensed electrician.

I suggested that they call that guy back up, and get him to bring it up to code. For free.

Assuming he knows what the code is......................

No way I am going to touch any of it.

Chris J
08-28-2007, 12:28 AM
I wouldn't touch it. Once you get involved it is your baby! They will continue to call you for every problem associated with the lighting. In my opinion, it is never worth the trouble, no matter how much they pay.

Pro-Scapes
08-28-2007, 07:25 AM
can o worms....I service systems but I really do hate messing with half a$$ work. 9 times out of 10 I reccommend a new system from a saftey standpoint.

We got some guys running around here mounting merc vapors up in trees. Looks like a star in the top of the tree at night. Kind of obnoxious considering there is no type of shroud on the fixture. They screw the juctions and or ballasts from hid lights directly to the tree too.

JackTorsed
08-28-2007, 10:55 PM
can o worms....I service systems but I really do hate messing with half a$$ work. 9 times out of 10 I reccommend a new system from a saftey standpoint.

We got some guys running around here mounting merc vapors up in trees. Looks like a star in the top of the tree at night. Kind of obnoxious considering there is no type of shroud on the fixture. They screw the juctions and or ballasts from hid lights directly to the tree too.

It's weird i've been seeing alot of mercury vapor being installed here too lately. They've got these gigantic tree mount downlights all the way up at the top of the tree. The effect is a green light that looks horrible in my opinion. Each light also needs it's own ballast box. I'd imagine that it must be expensive to install considering all the labor , materials and codes that come along with 120 volts. Too bad that money isn't going to Low voltage.

ar-t
08-28-2007, 11:47 PM
In these parts, mercury vapour lights start at $400/fixture. And goes up from there, depending on how high up in the tree that they are installed. Never mind they make food and people look unnatural. Even Greenlee concedes that much. However, they are all over the "old money" part of Dallas. Probably because the major installer advertises on the Classical Music radio station.

LV runs around..........$250 or so per.

JackTorsed
08-28-2007, 11:52 PM
In these parts, mercury vapour lights start at $400/fixture. And goes up from there, depending on how high up in the tree that they are installed. Never mind they make food and people look unnatural. Even Greenlee concedes that much. However, they are all over the "old money" part of Dallas. Probably because the major installer advertises on the Classical Music radio station.

LV runs around..........$250 or so per.

That's John Watson illuminator down yonder right?

ar-t
08-28-2007, 11:59 PM
Nope.........Lentz.

JackTorsed
08-29-2007, 12:09 AM
Nope.........Lentz.

Is Watson still around?

NightScenes
08-29-2007, 07:38 AM
Watson is still around and is still the murcury vapor cowboy!! He is even in my market.

ar-t
09-05-2007, 12:54 PM
My buddy called me yesterday, and said the customer was not going to pay for the irrigation work unless he fixed the cut wires. Customer said a temporary fix was ok, as they would get a licensed electrician to come out "in a month or two" to fix it properly. (Do any of us believe that 1-2 month crap?)

Nope........I told him the he needed to 'splain that he was not a licensed electrician and that a temporary fix was not something that he was going to do. He provided them with the names of 2 electricians that I recommended, and suggested they contact them if they felt his stance was wrong.

So.........they back down, and agree to pay. They informed him that they will get the original contractor back to fix it properly.

Why do they think that he will do it right this time??? In any case, I never got involved, and that is hopefully the last I will hear of this.

Until they stop payment on the check...............!

Pro-Scapes
09-05-2007, 03:09 PM
meanwhile the electrician runs a trencher across the new irrigation lines and tells the homeowner hes not responsible and to call the irrigation guy blah blah blah.

I got one now the landscape contruction guys want me to wire it before irrigation or drainage goes in. How bout this... you guys dig your trenches and we will lay it in at same time.

ar-t
09-05-2007, 03:25 PM
You are giving the electrician too much credit.

I suppose he could rent one, just to be vindictive. Nope.....costs money!

ar-t
09-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Reading another thread reminded me of this disaster I saw a few years back. Should be under the heading of "Homeowners make for worse electricians than irrigators".

Irrigation controller was not working. No AC. OK......track down were AC comes from.

Came from J-box from hell.

J-box had an outlet in it........not a GFCI......just an outlet. Some sort of non-approved cordage plugged in. No wet location cover. Some duct tape stuck here and there.......supposedly to replace non-existent wet location cover.

Inside was all corroded. (Gee, I wonder why.........) But it gets worse.

"How can it?"

Uh.......the Romex was corroded to the point where a repair could not be done. So...........let's see where the Romex goes........just for grins......

It goes through the wall.....without conduit, of course.......to the distribution panel. To a breaker.

A 50A breaker!!!!!!!!

Yep, that is right.....14 ga Romex goes right to a 50A breaker. Mind you, there were lots of 15A breakers they could have tied into, for just an irrigation controller (and maybe an IR operated security light fixture.) But no.........let's make sure that we have lots of current available when the whole thing shorts out.

"Call me after you get an electrican to fix this mess, and I'll set your controller for you. I wouldn't wait too long.........the house may burn up before your lawn does."

Chris J
09-15-2007, 10:14 PM
This probably was done by the same guy who hard wired the Vista transfomer in............................clowns.

ChampionLS
09-15-2007, 10:20 PM
A 50 amp breaker? Most residences have 200 amp service. That doesn't leave much for the home.

ar-t
09-16-2007, 01:38 AM
It was for the A/C. Logic must have been "Hey, it is going outside.....the A/C is outside......I guess I should use this one........."