PDA

View Full Version : If you wanted a Gasoline powered Cabover, better get one now while you can

Rons Rightway Lawncare
08-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Was at my Isuzu dealer last week having my truck serviced, and noticed they had the new 2008 models on the lot. It is a different truck.... interior is basically the same but a little fancier. Exterior is slightly more futuristic looking. Supposed to be a better truck overall.

The ones they had in stock are powered with Isuzu Diesels, and these look like bigger engines, with much more complexity than the older ones. Even the exhaust system looked more complex than a gas engines system with the converters and so on. The thing just looked EXPENSIVE, and looks like down the road repair costs will be painful....

Biggest thing I noted was no gas engine models. I was told by the service dept that Isuzu and GM broke off their ties and that we won't be seeing anymore Gas engined model cabovers.

I wouldn't mind having a diesel, but the additional cost to buy one over gas.... the higher cost of the fuel.... higher cost of routine services.... much higher cost of engine overhaul or replacement..... etc.... all add up to make the Gas engine a good option. I have been told my many owners of Isuzu Diesels that they only get around 12 mpg of diesel. I am getting on average 9.5 mpg on 87 octane gasoline.

Anyhow, my dealer still had one more Gas truck out front for sale with a landscape body on it. Not sure how many more of these will be for sale. If you wanted one you might ought to get it now while you can.

PS, I paid 27,500 for my truck out the door. Truck had power windows and locks, CD player, A/C, Automatic trans, 18 foot landscape bed with underbody 48 inch tool box, trailer hitch Not bad price for everything compared to say a Chevy 3500 dually, or Ford F-350 and then a 18 foot trailer. The diesels will run WAY WAY WAY over 35 grand, I would say expect to pay around 40-42 grand for a new 2008 with a 18 foot landscapers bed.

lawn king
08-28-2007, 09:17 PM
I get 16 mpg in my turbo diesel npr.

Tadams
08-28-2007, 11:58 PM
I get 16 mpg in my turbo diesel npr.

What year is your Isuzu? What type of bed is on it? What are you hauling? We gotta have more info! I might get 8 mpg on a 1995 gasser with a 16' box. I wish that it would get more but there's not anything I can do about it and I didn't buy it for fuel economy...............but that is great for you to get that good of mileage.

lawn king
08-29-2007, 07:01 AM
2003, knapeheide landscape body.

mdlwn1
08-29-2007, 07:37 AM
I was told under 25k miles per year...gas.....over........... diesel. Never did the math, but like he said....I paid about 28K instead of 36. And yes the tranny is 5k on the diesel....but they really don't have problems either.

CrewCutEnterprises
09-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Where is your dealer, Im interested in buying one of the same, but 16 ft and I wanted to put the SLT gas/ mix tank on the side.

I need to replace a truck.

What is your payload on your truck IE dry weight and GVW

Was at my Isuzu dealer last week having my truck serviced, and noticed they had the new 2008 models on the lot. It is a different truck.... interior is basically the same but a little fancier. Exterior is slightly more futuristic looking. Supposed to be a better truck overall.

The ones they had in stock are powered with Isuzu Diesels, and these look like bigger engines, with much more complexity than the older ones. Even the exhaust system looked more complex than a gas engines system with the converters and so on. The thing just looked EXPENSIVE, and looks like down the road repair costs will be painful....

Biggest thing I noted was no gas engine models. I was told by the service dept that Isuzu and GM broke off their ties and that we won't be seeing anymore Gas engined model cabovers.

I wouldn't mind having a diesel, but the additional cost to buy one over gas.... the higher cost of the fuel.... higher cost of routine services.... much higher cost of engine overhaul or replacement..... etc.... all add up to make the Gas engine a good option. I have been told my many owners of Isuzu Diesels that they only get around 12 mpg of diesel. I am getting on average 9.5 mpg on 87 octane gasoline.

Anyhow, my dealer still had one more Gas truck out front for sale with a landscape body on it. Not sure how many more of these will be for sale. If you wanted one you might ought to get it now while you can.

PS, I paid 27,500 for my truck out the door. Truck had power windows and locks, CD player, A/C, Automatic trans, 18 foot landscape bed with underbody 48 inch tool box, trailer hitch Not bad price for everything compared to say a Chevy 3500 dually, or Ford F-350 and then a 18 foot trailer. The diesels will run WAY WAY WAY over 35 grand, I would say expect to pay around 40-42 grand for a new 2008 with a 18 foot landscapers bed.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
09-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Dealer is Carolina Peterbuilt / Isuzu.... google search them for the number.

I haven't weighted my truck. I wish I knew the empty weight. Gross weight is 12,000 pounds.

You do know that a 16 foot truck would only have a 12 foot flat floor area right? The dovetails on these things are usually 4 feet long. it is normally unusable space. that is why I got the 18 footer.

CrewCutEnterprises
09-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Dealer is Carolina Peterbuilt / Isuzu.... google search them for the number.

I haven't weighted my truck. I wish I knew the empty weight. Gross weight is 12,000 pounds.

You do know that a 16 foot truck would only have a 12 foot flat floor area right? The dovetails on these things are usually 4 feet long. it is normally unusable space. that is why I got the 18 footer.
It would be an upgrade from this that I built. I think your right about the 18 footer though. Can it tow a trailer???

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=73705&d=1172112352

HenryB
09-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Nice job Crewcut fabricating that body and gate. Was the hinge on the gate diffucult?

Rons Rightway Lawncare
09-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Yes it will tow. I have towed a small trailer with a motorcycle on it, and I have towed a camper trailer to Florida with it. It tows really good.

CrewCutEnterprises
09-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Im looking to tow a dump trailer for leaves in the fall.

Also click my link in my signature for information on the bed build, it was a pain, but works well.

Marek
09-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Jason call Mike A at Koons up the street he has been pricing one up for me, he has some great deals on LCFs . They seem to be alot more truck for the money.

jhcreech
12-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Hello, their is an idea that ISUZU is contemplating of merging with TOYOTA to use their gas burner in the NPR. Many new ideas is on the horizon especially with GM of ISUZU'S back.

Lawn Trooper
02-26-2008, 04:34 PM
How much would an engine cost for one of these u think?

Marek
02-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Got to Target or Jasper engines web site and price one out.

EA Quinn
02-27-2008, 07:19 AM
Did this just happen yesterday? I placed an order for an 08 Isuzu 14.5k gvw and I got a gas engine in mine. The truck came in the other day, and now its off to paint and then to supreme for a body. I got a 22 foot landscape body for it. I did hear gm was not brining the "s10" pickup type models anymore, nor the car/suv line. As far as im aware gm and isuzu are still working together on powerplants for the trucks. Either you dealer was a little confused by this transition or it mustve just happened very very recently, because like I said, i was able to order a new 08 with the gm gas powerplant.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
02-27-2008, 08:16 AM
If you got a 08 with a Chevy 6.0 in it, then my dealer was wrong. Sorry bout that!!!

He said GM and Isuzu had split their ties and that you would not see rebadged Isuzu NPR's being sold at Chevy or GMC dealers and you would not see GM engines in Isuzu NPR's either.... Maybe this will still happen but not for another year or a few years, or it may not happen at all.

You'd think you could trust the dealer to give accurate info right.... ;)