PDA

View Full Version : Underwater fixture problems

NightLightingFX
08-28-2007, 04:04 PM
I used Hadco's UWL1 composite and have had nothing but problems. I did a job that was a zen garden last year. I used this fixture under a small bridge with a man made little creek. After about 3 months this fixture fills up with water. I am tired of sending back the fixture for a new one. I wouldn't recomend this fixture. Have any of you ever used this fixture?
~Ned
www.nightlightingfx.com

Go Halogen
08-28-2007, 04:56 PM
Although I had never used Hadco underwater lights before, I know the frustration. I use the Vista UW4217 when I enter into smaller pond of man made streams. I have 3 in my own stream leading to a small koi pond. They have been in for almost 2 years now. No problems yet......

NightLightingFX
08-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks "Go Halogen"
That is what I will try next. I had a cheap composit mr11 underwater fixture laying around so I monkeyed with it and secured a spread lens on top of it. We will see how long that last. If it doesn't work I will go with the Vista UW4217.
~Ned

Pro-Scapes
08-29-2007, 08:21 AM
Kichler 15191... seen one installed 5 years ago with zero issues and I installed 2 more in same fountain with no probs last fall.

klkanders
08-29-2007, 10:22 AM
Ned, Thanks for the info on the Hadco as I almost bought one awhile back. Take a look at Kichlers 15141 looks suprisingly alot like the Vista hmmmm. At the time i went with Kichlers 15191 as Billy suggested but its more of a spot light. I am working on a pond now and want more of a subtle light over a broader area so I am going to try either the vista or the Kichler 15141.
Good Luck!

Pro-Scapes
08-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Ned, Thanks for the info on the Hadco as I almost bought one awhile back. Take a look at Kichlers 15141 looks suprisingly alot like the Vista hmmmm. At the time i went with Kichlers 15191 as Billy suggested but its more of a spot light. I am working on a pond now and want more of a subtle light over a broader area so I am going to try either the vista or the Kichler 15141.
Good Luck!

best coverage comes from multiple fixtures. Beachside builds a tank of an underwater light but its PAR and its $$$ but has a great spread to it.

In a fountain we just did I did 20w hitting the bronze statue (half naked lady spilling water out of a jug) with two 10w ones grazing the wall behind the statue. came out great. Originally just had a single 20w operating at 8v

klkanders
08-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Since you brought it up Billy now we want to see a pic of the lady and her jug. Hey I said jug not jugs get your minds outa the gutters!

Pro-Scapes
08-30-2007, 12:23 AM
I been meaning to go back to the job and get photos. It really came out pretty well considering I was required to reuse alot of the vistas and integrate into the existing system.

The property owners are heavily into theater and acting so they were firm on what they wanted. I exceeded thier expectations but feel parts of the job were comprimised (ie one light on a jap maple with 360 degree viewable) and I could not talk em into more.

Will try and get back soon. Ashley (my wife) took the pics without the tripod and they are a bit blurry. We meant to go back already but then it got insanly hot out.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-01-2007, 01:02 AM
For underwater applications I would recommend the Nightscaping Wrightliter or Vermeer Line. Yes they are a premium fixture... but they don't leak! I have tried the Hadco, Kichler and Vista composite underwater lights and have had problems with all of them leaking. Even the NS flipper leaks after time.

You might also want to consider Hunza and if you really want to blow the bugget check out the best... Halophane.

Underwater lighting is supposed to be expensive... don't disappoint anyone!

Have a great day.

Lighting_man
09-04-2007, 03:46 AM
Bega does have a reputation for being a little on the expensive side so perhaps it's out of your reach? If you're not strapped for cash you should take a look. http:www/bega.com

Lighting_man