PDA

View Full Version : rubber mulch

shop22
08-28-2007, 08:01 PM
I'm looking into selling a line of rubber mulch. Just wonder if any of you guys use it and what you're experience is with it. The stuff I'm looking at is called rubberific.

Skimastr105
08-28-2007, 08:35 PM
I looked at it. My local distributor carries that very same brand. I think it is a little pricy when you compare it to natural mulch. Also, It never goes away, so if the homowner decides to get a new color or style... the old must be removed by hand.

The only places that might be interested are commercial locations like fast food restaurants and whatnot.

acm8705
08-28-2007, 10:58 PM
I did a small job with rubber mulch. The homeowner wanted it under the swing set so that when his child fell she wouldn't get splinters. It was expensive, but he's happy.

MikeLT1Z28
08-28-2007, 11:03 PM
isn't it more or less shredded bias ply tires?

acm8705
08-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Ya. The rubber mulch I used had a red tent to it.

tgaskill
08-28-2007, 11:21 PM
Look into Everlast mulch. It is a much better product and holds it's color. It doesn't blow or float. Yes it is made from recycled tires the regular mulch is 98% steel free and the playground mulch is 99.99% free. It does cost more but lasts for years so it does pay off in the long run and you you don't have to worry about insects.

jeremy067390
08-28-2007, 11:27 PM
id charge extra since u wont be back............................ isnt it like polluting

Husky05
08-29-2007, 12:10 AM
Rubber mulch sucks, dont use it. Here red and brown sell for 235 a yard the black is 125. I dont undertsand the price difference but I have used all 3 and I dont like them. Its expensive, it doesnt hold up and looks terrible after a couple of years

Skimastr105
08-29-2007, 12:41 AM
Thats a good point... it does sort of seem like littering.

swingset
08-29-2007, 03:10 AM
Thats a good point... it does sort of seem like littering.

How is it different than decorative stone? Other than it was once a tire?

Littering seems to me to be putting used things where they are NOT wanted, not putting things where they are.

Frosty03
08-29-2007, 07:39 AM
I can't stand the stuff. I have one property that has it, the lady won't let me remove it, but wanted cypress mulch installed over the top.

That stuff is a B**** to edge around as when the edger blade kicks it up, it hurts like hell. My shin always gets it when I do that property and I will never take on another account that has the stuff. Plus it started looking really shoddy after a year, which is why she wanted cypress mulch put on top.

It sinks into the ground, then when you edge, it gets picked up by the blade nicely and bounces nicely off of your shin. I have the bruises to prove it.

I don't even see it for sale around here anymore as my other friends in the same biz feel the same way.

TPnTX
08-29-2007, 08:43 AM
My Neighbor down the street owns a company that makes this stuff. I did his landscape last year...and used hardwood mulch.

Dreams To Designs
08-29-2007, 10:40 AM
Rubber mulch has it's place, best used as a playground mulch. It can also be used as a decorative accent, but has no place in landscape beds. It does not benefit the plant material in any way. It may keep down weeds, but you can lay newspaper on the ground for that. As a mulch it is not the way to go, but for play ground area protection and colorful accents, it may find a place. For decorative accents, I prefer tumbled glass or colored rock like Zorock.

Kirk

desii
08-29-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm not sure if it all does this, but I was around some on a hot day and it definitlely had a "rubber tire" smell to it...not very pleasant IMO. Never used it, but have talked a coulpe of clients out of it though.

Besides the smell, once the kids start kicking and throwing it out of the tot lot, you have to worry about it becoming a projectile when you bring the mowers thru (for many years to come). Again, JMO.