PDA

View Full Version : Best Commercial String Trimmer

inline lawn care
08-29-2007, 10:08 AM
I'm Trying To Decide Between Stihl And Redmax Commercial Trimmers.
Which Model Do You Think Is The Best Concerning Features, Durability, Quality And Price? I Want To Use This Trimmer For Edging As Well. Thanks!!!

stevesmowing
08-29-2007, 10:55 AM
how much power do u want? Do you run them with the guards on or off? I have a redmax 3000 and its a great trimmer its light and just sips fuel. The only draw back is it takes a while to warm up and reach full power. I also have a stihl 85 and 250 which i like as well. I think the stihls feel a little more stable but they don't sip gas like the redmax. I would Just get something with at least a 30cc engine.

inline lawn care
08-29-2007, 02:11 PM
My Business Is Growing And Right Now I'm Using A Ryobi 16" 30cc. I Would Like Something Longer So That I Can Use It For Trimming And Edging. Thanks!!

All_Toro_4ME
08-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Both are great brands. Have you looked at Shindaiwa and Echo? All are commercial brands, (Stihl, Redmax, Shindaiwa and Echo) just comes down to preference, power and cost.

Juan_Deere
08-29-2007, 03:02 PM
I have been using a Stihl KM85R for the past three years and can't complain one bit about it. I believe the KM110 is what replaced it. The one I bought was the combi-tool version and the only complaint I have, is the wingnut jobbie that you use to tighten down the adapter stripped out. But that took until this year for that to happen. Also, the spark arrestor clogged on me. But I consider that my fault for not using Stihl for the past season.

Power wise it is a 29cc engine. But it blows the 31cc Ryobi I used before it, clear out of the water.

lawnmaniac883
08-29-2007, 03:30 PM
First off, the cc's of an engine doesnt always dictate power in a trimmer. A 23cc echo can put out just as much if not more than a 30cc ryobi. Now as for the BEST commercial trimmer, there really isnt one that stands out, they all perform well and do the job they are supposed to. Now here comes my personal opinion. Stihl 4-mix's they are new and they perform well. Solid trimmers with lots of power to spare. No major problems with them yet currently running FS130 and FC100 one is my trimmer the other my edger and they both have done really well.

zak406
08-29-2007, 03:36 PM
stihl in general but try the fs80r powerful and mostly light weight

LawnMowerMan2003
09-02-2007, 08:58 PM
To put my 2 cents in: I was happy with Echos but I hear they now have plastic carbs? Can anyone comment on that? Also I liked my Shindaiwa 27 cc and the guy I worked for before when I was out of work seemed to prefer Stihl (FS-80 I think) and I trust his experience.

Kevin

txgrassguy
09-02-2007, 09:25 PM
I switched to Stihl for a reason - durability and power.
All of my crews hand equipment is Stihl, over twenty five pieces of equipment - thirteen of which are the 4-Mix FS-100R trimmers with the Edgit discs.
Of the remaining pieces, 7 are the 4-Mix powered blowers.
The remaining non 4-Mix powered units are being phased out, by March '08 everything will be the 4-Mix power plant.

lawnspecialties
09-02-2007, 09:32 PM
I run primarily RedMax because they are a quality commercial product and I have excellent dealer support.

Consider dealer support as a huge factor in your decision.

paponte
09-03-2007, 09:05 AM
IMO it depends on whether you are a solo op, or running crews. As a solo, we would run Shindaiwa and Redmax. Running crews I refuse to spend the $$ on them anymore. The only trimmers we use are the Echo 210's... period. At $189. a clip, if I get 2 seasons out of them I am happy. After that they get hung in our Echo boneyard and are kept for parts. How much power can you possibly need to trim grass?

joshco84
09-03-2007, 10:46 AM
i love shindiawa weedeater and edgers. there handheld blowers are nice too, but a bit more expensive. echo blowers are nice, the pb 200 is right at one fifty.

EMJ
09-03-2007, 10:57 AM
I like the Echo line for trimmers and edgers.

mattfromNY
09-03-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm convinced nobody on here likes the Husqvarna trimmers. Lighter, better balanced, Quicker revving, and all I run is cheap gas and cheap oil. I have a 326L and have never had one problem in 2 years, still going as strong as the day I bought it. I also have an Echo, but it stays on the trailer most days, I hate it.

dgZtrak737
09-03-2007, 02:58 PM
I like stihl trimmers. I have a FS55 I know its a homeowner, but my wife bought it for me without my approval. LOL and I really cant complain. Its not give one minutes trouble. Its been used commercial for 4 years now, If i buy a new one, it will be the stihl 110. I had a husqvarna, mine was a lemon, they chain saw a had was a #1 peice of junk. and the dealers around here suck.

LawnMowerMan2003
09-03-2007, 05:00 PM
IMO it depends on whether you are a solo op, or running crews. As a solo, we would run Shindaiwa and Redmax. Running crews I refuse to spend the $$ on them anymore. The only trimmers we use are the Echo 210's... period. At $189. a clip, if I get 2 seasons out of them I am happy. After that they get hung in our Echo boneyard and are kept for parts. How much power can you possibly need to trim grass?

You don't have any problems with the plastic carbs? A repair shop told me this; I have not verified it yet.

paponte
09-03-2007, 08:31 PM
LMM, no problems as of yet. Not sure if the carbs are a new thing or not. Think we bought 3 new trimmers this season and so far so good.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
09-03-2007, 09:03 PM
I am telling you guys.... I have run Echo for years. Since 1994 when I started doing this.

I ran primarly echo, but did try a Mariyama ( was back around 1996 and they were WAY too heavy ) ...... Tried a Robin ( was good, would buy another )..... tried a Honda four stroke ( was heavy and didn't like being run upside down while I edged, wouldn't buy another ) ..... tried a Lesco ( back around 1998, was good but wasn't holding up to the use and wore it out in 2 seasons )......

All the while I still had Echo as my main line of trimmers. Was happy with them for the most part.

And then a year or two ago I bought a Kawasaki trimmer - the one that sells for around 219$ to 239$ depending on where you buy it - and man I am telling you guys.... It is hands down the best trimmer I have ever used. It is one of the lightest trimmers on the market, and it has lot's of power, Much more power than the 26 cc Echos have. It has held up well to my abuse, I have not changed a thing on it and it still runs great.

I won't lie and tell you it has never failed.... It did loose a bearing in the lower gearcase, but it was replaced under warranty, and then just a week or two ago the flex cable broke in half, and a new one is on order to be replaced under warranty. These problems are most likely all my fault for not greasing the gearbox ever, and also not running a guard and lastly I run oversize string - .105 -

I paid right around 210$ with tax and as good as it has been I would pay 310$ for it and feel like I am getting a deal.

When the flex cable broke, I was in the middle of my route and I didn't have a spare trimmer on the truck. The Echo dealer was closer than my house ( where I have a spare trimmer just for these breakdowns ) so I just went over there and bought a new Echo, figuring it would be just about as nice as the Kawasaki and I would just get the Kawasaki all fixed up and sell it since I got about 2 years of good service out of it.... Well the Echo I bought brought back all the sour memmories of the echos I used to use. Multiple pulls to get started, no power for the first minute or so of use, rough running at low rpms, heavier, etc.... So my plan is to get my Kawasaki fixed, put it on the truck as a spare, Clean up the Echo and sell it, and then buy a new Kawasaki to use as my primary trimmer.

Anyway, long story... Sorry! But do yourself a favor and go check out a Kawasaki trimmer. All of the name brand trimmers will do good for you, some have some strong points, some have weak points, but all are " Good "..... The Kawasaki IMHO is hands down the best though from my experience.

Sydenstricker Landscaping
09-03-2007, 09:17 PM
If you do go with Stihl, the FS80 is good, but for like 50 bucks more, you can get the FS90R with the 4 mix engine. It has like 28.4 cc output, which is plenty enough for regular trimming and edging. Plus it has a solid drive shaft versus the flex cable, which will let you put different attachments on it like an edger, hedge trimmer, etc. Good luck on what ever you go with!!!:waving:

S man
09-09-2007, 12:58 PM
I like stihl or redmax. But for dealer support, around here redmax is better. I only have one decent stihl dealer here. To me, both are great products, but the stihls are made better and are more solid.

Leaf Jockey
09-09-2007, 05:21 PM
I'm convinced nobody on here likes the Husqvarna trimmers. Lighter, better balanced, Quicker revving, and all I run is cheap gas and cheap oil. I have a 326L and have never had one problem in 2 years, still going as strong as the day I bought it. I also have an Echo, but it stays on the trailer most days, I hate it.

We have three 326 Huskys. One still runs and the guys fight for it. They are well balanced and powerful but not durable. The plastic around the engine is brittle in some places and melted in others. All three lost their fuel tanks on customers lawns at some point. The trigger handles are also cracked.
Some of the problem is operator abuse but those same knucklehead operators aren't breaking the Stihl FS90r trimmers.

Scott

EMJ
09-10-2007, 12:08 PM
All my hand helds are less that 6 months old, and none of them have plastic carbs.

caddman27
09-10-2007, 01:20 PM
I use the $199 Husqvarna trimmer you can get at lowes and have had no problems. Always use a Lowes 10 % off so thats another $20 cheaper. Fires up quick, Very easy string up, Runs great, Good Power. It does look like the plastic trigger is not built for the long haul but I tend to look at trimmers as being disposable. A couples years and trash.

Nicdv1
09-10-2007, 10:04 PM
I recently bought Redmax trimmer and blower to replace my kawasaki, my crew prefers them but i find them awkward and heavy to use, kawasaki stuff is much lighter and just as powerful as redmax,the kawasakis are about 3 years old and they still run strong,i find the echo edger better than redmax ,seems to be better balanced, also i have Redmax and echo hedge trimmers i prefer to use the redmax ,which ended its life today. Id reccomend kawa trimmers.

IHusky
09-10-2007, 10:41 PM
I like the Husqvarna trimmers. The 326 is a great trimmer. Very light and lots of power. The heads are very easy to load too. The plastic might not be as good as the plastic on stihl trimmers, but the e-tech engines are very reliable. Kawasaki makes a good trimmer too, very light and lots of power. Shindawa's are rock solid, but to step up to 1.3-1.5 hp range, there kinda heavy for me.

There's really no best trimmer, you'll just have to find the one that you personally like to use. You know what they say about opinions...............

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
09-10-2007, 11:00 PM
Redmax.....

Rons Rightway Lawncare
09-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Go to Lesco, or somewhere and hold a Kawasaki in your hands.... ask the guy to put gas in it and let you start it..... You would be a fool and insane to spend more money to buy something different. You will not find a lighter or more powerful trimmer in this size class than the Kawasaki. And were talking about under 250$ with taxes included. Even if you don't have a dealer nearby, just order one off the internet.........! If it breaks, just order the parts online and fix it yourself. My 4 year old could work on these things, there is nothing to it.

CuttersEdgeks
09-10-2007, 11:24 PM
there is a guy on ebay that sells the kawasaki 27a for 202 del. this is a great trimmer for less money. very light and great power.

jiggz
09-11-2007, 12:37 AM
there is a guy on ebay that sells the kawasaki 27a for 202 del. this is a great trimmer for less money. very light and great power.

I second on the Kawasaki trimmers!! i cant really speak on this model cause i think its the new one.. but i have a 26A and it cant get any smoother then this!!! from idle to redline its stable as ****..it makes my redmax strato whatever the fcuk look like poo!!! best trimmer bar none..if only more people knew of them,, cause there isnt many distributers.. BLAH!!!

lawnpro724
09-11-2007, 08:46 PM
I bought Tanaka's this year to upgrade my older Toro proline trimmers that are getting ready for retirement and have been very happy with them.

ed2hess
09-11-2007, 10:24 PM
I second on the Kawasaki trimmers!! i cant really speak on this model cause i think its the new one.. but i have a 26A and it cant get any smoother then this!!! from idle to redline its stable as ****..it makes my redmax strato whatever the fcuk look like poo!!! best trimmer bar none..if only more people knew of them,, cause there isnt many distributers.. BLAH!!!

How long has this company been making these trimmers? Have you got any that have 1000 hours of use on them yet?

Rons Rightway Lawncare
09-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Your joking right? Kawasaki has been making trimmers for years. It is as good as all the others as far as durability goes.

dougmartin2003
09-11-2007, 11:14 PM
i dont know if you can call them commercial trimmers but i have 2 echo srm 210 trimmers going on 2 years now and no problem with them. i happy with them

jiggz
09-12-2007, 12:33 AM
How long has this company been making these trimmers? Have you got any that have 1000 hours of use on them yet?

they have been making trimmers for years.. I have about 6 of em, and this season ill be there 5th year of everyday use..granted they started to **** the bed this season.. but what can you ask for..go to lesco if there is one near you and check them out. use one once and youll be spoiled

Sandgropher
09-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Your joking right? Kawasaki has been making trimmers for years. It is as good as all the others as far as durability goes.

I have most trimmers over the years, my KBL (kawasaki) beats all others, light weight, very well balanced, comfortable to hold and powerful enough for the job i do (mostly residental ) the one i have now was second hand from March last year, no problems yet , i will be sticking with Kawasaki.

fergman
09-12-2007, 02:14 AM
cc's dont mean anything. its the hp rating. look at the site of the trimmers and pull up the manual,it will tell you. i also like the kawisakis better than anyother trimmer. I have several redmax's. several stihl's. several shindaiwas. several echos's. and 1 tanaka. the kawi i have is a kgt27a. it has 1.6 hp. at 10.2 lbs. it is balanced EXTREMELY well. i choose it over anyother trimmer that i own. check the manual's on the other trimmers and youll find that you would have to carry around a really heavy trimmer to have the hp that the kgt27a has. it actually feels lighter than the redmax 2300. i know that doesnt even sound possible but me and several other guys think the same thing about it and i never mentioned my opinion or the weight of the 2. i bieleve its because the kawi is balanced so well. the redmax 2300 is VERY head heavy. all the feels up front and feels like your almost holding all the weight of the trimmer in your front hand. not to mention the 2300 doesnt hardly have any real power,plus you can run the string out farther with the kawi with alot of extra power. comes with a 1 year commercial warranty just like the majority of commercial trimmers do. the redmax's i have, have been completely problem free for a long time. redmax has a 2 year commercial warranty though. id say get the kawasaki kgt27a for sure. you may want a different head though.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
09-12-2007, 08:45 AM
I had a echo 210 I used for a few years too. Once you try a larger engined trimmer you will be mad at yourself for using such a weak trimmer with the 210!

Yes the Kawasaki is well balanced, smooth, powerful and light! The trimmers head is the same as Echo and Robin have used for years, I like that head, I can restring it blindfolded....

And again, where are you going to get a better trimmer for even a hundred bucks more? You can get this one for just a bit over 200$. Like I said, I would pay alot more for it if I had too, but paying 200$ for it is like icing on the cake!

topsites
09-12-2007, 08:56 AM
I switched to Stihl for a reason - durability and power.
The remaining non 4-Mix powered units are being phased out, by March '08 everything will be the 4-Mix power plant.

That's the way I'm headed, I started with stihls because it was recommended to me but I did try an echo... No real complaints and the Echo sure went longer per gas tank but a sipper it wasnt (just the tank is BIG) but stihl's 4-mix is the ticket and they're the only ones making them, it will be some years yet but that's the direction, stihl 4-mix replacements as the old ones crap out.

They run quieter, cooler, stronger, and apparently longer as well.

fergman
09-12-2007, 04:57 PM
That's the way I'm headed, I started with stihls because it was recommended to me but I did try an echo... No real complaints and the Echo sure went longer per gas tank but a sipper it wasnt (just the tank is BIG) but stihl's 4-mix is the ticket and they're the only ones making them, it will be some years yet but that's the direction, stihl 4-mix replacements as the old ones crap out.

They run quieter, cooler, stronger, and apparently longer as well.

i thought shindaiwa made a 4-mix?

elshauno
09-12-2007, 05:06 PM
They do and I have one. A Shindaiwa T2510 4 mix Its very well balanced and runs like a champ, though it can sometimes take a couple pulls to start when cold. Its good on gas and the speed feed head. My buddy has been running 2510s for 6 years of daily use and just now replaced his old with a new 2510 and a 3410 which is heavier but more powerful. My buddy said the only problem that hes had was the clutch spring went out twice over that time. Ive had mine two years and haven't had that problem. But a Shindaiwa is a great trimmer which I highly recommend.

SkyLawncare
09-12-2007, 05:25 PM
I have a 9-5 job with the county and I've used a little echo, a stihl FS80 and a FS250.

The echo was really light weight and seemed to have a lot of rpm for such a little guy. Not sure what size it was.

I hate the Stihl FS80. I'm not cutting residential lawns, it's usually thicker grass that has grown for a few weeks or longer.

The FS80 burns gas very quickly and doesn't have the oomph when you need it. It seems like you need to run it just about wide open to get any performance.

I love the FS250. Larger tank so you can run longer, only need to run it at half throttle to do the job, but it's got the balls when you need it.

Like I said, I'm not cutting residential lawns so I might actually prefer a smaller trimmer if that was the case. If I was, I think I'd prefer the echo to the FS80 if I had to choose.

S man
09-12-2007, 11:35 PM
The fs80r is good but I like the 85 better. It has the steel shaft.

krapflier
09-13-2007, 10:32 AM
For those who love the Kawasaki, have any of you tried the KBL27 B/BC? Also FERGAN mentioned a different head type which do you prefer?

fergman
09-14-2007, 12:14 AM
the head is off of a redmax its called a pt104 head. dont get the generic knock off looking one's cant remember the name but its green. it was junk. you have to have the gear head also though. i took it and slid it on the shaft. sat the trimmer down on flat surface so the head would line up then carefully stuck something through the hole on the gear head to mark a place on the shaft of the kawasaki. then took the gear head off, stuck a rag up in the shaft past where i was going to drill the(SMALL) hole to catch the metal shavings. then drilled away. slapped it on and has been great ever since. sounds like alot of work but it isnt bad at all. just start with a small hole till you can get the screw back in it and it will stay fine. i just hated the head that came on it because i guess im just spoiled with the redmax head. you could probably get an adapter to slap the head on the kawi but i couldnt find one anywhere to save my nuts. but if you can find one then id say it would actually be a good thing because your not putting more money into it than you have to and it will extend the head down farther from the shaft. which i would think you could stand up maybe 2 or 3 inches straighter while you trim. if you ask me, that is ALOT when you trim all the time. surely you can order one and thats what id definately recommend doing. the head it had on it stock you had to feed the tips of the string through the eyes. with the pt104 head you dont have to. i love it. it also has a washer or something on the center of the head where you tap it against the ground to help it last longer. the weight of it doesnt effect the power at all.

IHusky
09-14-2007, 09:05 AM
I have a kawasaki trimmer model KTR27A and a kawasaki backpack blower and kawasaki stick edger. The same day I ordered all my equipment from SLE, I also had ordered a little dirtbike online for my cousin and the salesman was telling me all about how good the little 4 stroke engine was on that dirtbike and how I didn't have to mix oil and gas. well for some reason after I drove to South Haven, MS to pick up my new lawn equipment, I had it in my mind that the trimmer, blower and edger were all 4 stroke, so I mistakenly never added oil to them and ran tem for almost a week before I noticed the gas cap said mix 2 cycle. well I think most 2 cycle engines would have burnt up within 1 hour without oil mixed in but these kawasaki's ran for 6 days and I was cutting some high weeds and they never showed a sign of breaking down. these engines will still crank on the 1'st pull if you push the primer 3 times

I would recommend the KGT27a over the KBL27, you get a steel shaft and better bearing, spend the extra $70.

I would just like to add to what others are saying about the Kaw commercial timmers. The power to wieght ratio on these things are amazing. The balance on these things are great and the head spins very smooth. The KGT27a is there best model and it goes for $299 plus tax. You won't find a better deal for a trimmer thats packing 1.5 hp with steel shaft and weighs in at 10.2 lbs. I don't know why Kaw is selling these for such a low pice, but I bought two this year and am planning on buy a couple of more to put in storage. Kawasaki is now having a $20 off sale on some of there handhelds. I used it for a Kaw edger. The heads are a little bit on the just okay side and I would agree that if you used the speedfeed head or husqvarna head, you might not be able to make the jump to the kaw trimmers (heads are harder to load, I hated mine at first, but now don't really mind it now that I've used it for a while). I emailed Shindawa and begged them to make an adaptor for the Speedfeed head that would fit the Kaw trimmers. I'm not saying the Kaw trimmers are the best, but if you could throw on a Speedfeed head and a Kaw KGT27a trimmer, you'd have a damn fine product. Maybe if enough guys email Shindawa, they will make an adaptor, I know they already make adaptors for most other brands. Good luck.

$20 off promotion from Kaw:

http://www.kawpowr.com/promotions.asp

Rons Rightway Lawncare
09-14-2007, 11:17 PM
I personally like the head on the Kawasaki trimmers. It is the exact same as the head is on Echo trimmers, Robin Trimmers, and Honda trimmers. It takes some practice to learn how to restring it, but once you learn how it it easy to do, I could do it blindfolded!

yungman
11-25-2007, 12:45 AM
I thought Honda 4 cycle trimmer can run on any position. Someone say it cannot run in certain position? How about Makita 4 cycle ( Robin make)? Sounds like Shindaiwa is the way to go.

NHLM
11-25-2007, 10:25 AM
Stihl is the best

swim
11-25-2007, 10:38 AM
Man you guys are really good sales people.:laugh:

I want to try out a Kawasaki trimmer now.:cry:

Can I buy one on line any where? A link would be great. The power to weight ratio is almost unbelievable. How about some more people with experience with them. Any bad? I have and own several other brands of trimmers. Anyone who owns the Kawasaki trimmer who also own or have owned any of the following trimmers so I have something to compare to Echo SRM210, Shindaiwa T230, T270, Stihl FS100RX, FS130R, or a FS250R.

Nate@TLCS
11-25-2007, 12:41 PM
murayama 320....nuff said

Rons Rightway Lawncare
11-25-2007, 11:24 PM
I have had that Echo you mentioned, the SRM210. The kawasaki is totally out of the league, lighter and WAY more power. Still will say that it has been the best trimmer I have ever used and it is the cheapest one I have ever bought - other than my first Echo 210 -

The Honda trimmer I had would drip oil into the airfilter if used upside down for any length of time - such as using it to edge - It was also very heavy. I would stay away from the Hondas imho

greenerman
11-26-2007, 10:29 PM
I thought Honda 4 cycle trimmer can run on any position. Someone say it cannot run in certain position? How about Makita 4 cycle ( Robin make)? Sounds like Shindaiwa is the way to go.

I have no problems with my Honda running in any position. Starts one pull hot or cold, lots of power, no problems at all. Actual weight is heavier than some but honestly I do not notice it. A way better machine than some others I have tried.

93Chevy
11-26-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm part time on the grounds crew at Geneva College. All we use are still trimmers, a variety, mostly FS100's. They hold up to a lot of abuse, mostly from students who have never used a trimmer before.