PDA

View Full Version : Joey, I have a small complaint about Unique

NightLightingFX
08-29-2007, 07:52 PM
I guess I have been having a string of bad luck with fixtures lately. It is hard to complain about Uniques' quality and service. However, a problem that I have noticed quite a bit with the Unique fixtures is that the 25' lead coming out of the fixture is chaffed close to bare wire. This has happened to me in the past a lot of times. I just thought about it today because I was installing a Unique fixture in which the lead coming out of the fixture was almost chaffed down to the wire. It is weak link that could cause a problem down the road. I know Unique will replace it. But lets face it you want to get your fixtures in the ground and the job finished. I just wrapped electric tap around it as best I could to prevent any worse chaffing. Joey have you guys considered putting reinforcements on your leads coming out of the fixtures. I know I can't be the only one who has complained about this. Am I?
~Ned
www.nightLightingfx.com
P.S. I have an idea on a fixture stake. Has any one ever thought about creating a fixture stake that was design like a screw. That way I could get a hole started and then just scew the stake solid in the ground. This would be a lot easier than the stakes we all deal with now.

JackTorsed
08-29-2007, 08:38 PM
I guess I have been having a string of bad luck with fixtures lately. It is hard to complain about Uniques' quality and service. However, a problem that I have noticed quite a bit with the Unique fixtures is that the 25' lead coming out of the fixture is chaffed close to bare wire. This has happened to me in the past a lot of times. I just thought about it today because I was installing a Unique fixture in which the lead coming out of the fixture was almost chaffed down to the wire. It is weak link that could cause a problem down the road. I know Unique will replace it. But lets face it you want to get your fixtures in the ground and the job finished. I just wrapped electric tap around it as best I could to prevent any worse chaffing. Joey have you guys considered putting reinforcements on your leads coming out of the fixtures. I know I can't be the only one who has complained about this. Am I?
~Ned
www.nightLightingfx.com
P.S. I have an idea on a fixture stake. Has any one ever thought about creating a fixture stake that was design like a screw. That way I could get a hole started and then just scew the stake solid in the ground. This would be a lot easier than the stakes we all deal with now.

This cannot be possible. Joey gave in great detail the manufacturing process for their fixtures. All are checked for QC before being shipped off. Must be one of those knockoffs that are around being passed off for the real thing.

JoeyD
08-30-2007, 09:15 AM
This cannot be possible. Joey gave in great detail the manufacturing process for their fixtures. All are checked for QC before being shipped off. Must be one of those knockoffs that are around being passed off for the real thing.

Easy Jack! Chaffed wire does not occur in the manufacturing process. As much as you would like to see me fold here I think there is another reason other than QC.

Ned-

I think what may be occuring is in the shipping process. It is possible that if the wire is rubbed enough by the edge of the brass or copper knuckle the wire comes out of this could occur. I however have not seen this problem, probably becuase guys are doing what you are doing in the field. I will go look at how th wire is folded intot he box and see about shipping a few lights to the east coast and back to me here to see how it looks once I reciev it back from shipping it coast to coast. Is it the socket lead that is chaffing or is it the actual 16/2 or 18/2 lead that is chaffing??

Joey D.

NightLightingFX
08-30-2007, 10:47 AM
It is usually 16ga that is exposed imeadiatly where the wire comes out of the fixture at the brass threads. I think the way it is packet that creates the problem. The wire is usually creased tightly against the edge of the brass threads. At minimum I would suggest that the assemblers don't crease the wire against the threads. The best solution would be to have some type of flexible reinforcement coming out of the threads. Ask some of your field sales reps if they have had complaints. This isn't the first time I have complained about the issue. I may be streaching it a bit, but I would guess that close to 20% of the time I notice this and a quarter of that is serious/scary chaffing like what I saw yesterday.
~Ned
www.nightlightingfx.com

JoeyD
08-30-2007, 11:23 AM
It is usually 16ga that is exposed imeadiatly where the wire comes out of the fixture at the brass threads. I think the way it is packet that creates the problem. The wire is usually creased tightly against the edge of the brass threads. At minimum I would suggest that the assemblers don't crease the wire against the threads. The best solution would be to have some type of flexible reinforcement coming out of the threads. Ask some of your field sales reps if they have had complaints. This isn't the first time I have complained about the issue. I may be streaching it a bit, but I would guess that close to 20% of the time I notice this and a quarter of that is serious/scary chaffing like what I saw yesterday.
~Ned
www.nightlightingfx.com

Thanks for lettign em know Ned. I am goign to bring this up in my RMA meeting tommorow as an action item to correct. We will resolve this issue!!

Thanks Again!

Joey D.

JoeyD
08-30-2007, 11:37 AM
I couldnt wait until tommorow to get this off my chest so i went and got with my production manager and we decided that temporarily we will be adding a small piece of foam or cardboard intot he base of the knuckle during shipping. You would just pull it out when threading your fixture to the stake. This will resolve the issue of the wire being cut or chaffed by the edge of the brass or copper knuckle.

This kind of information is priceless Ned, thanks again!!!

Chris J
08-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Just FYI Joey, the manufacturer that I purchase from has a rubber grommet insert that surrounds the wire at the base of the stem. This could be the easy answer to your dilemma.

JackTorsed
08-30-2007, 10:21 PM
I couldnt wait until tommorow to get this off my chest so i went and got with my production manager and we decided that temporarily we will be adding a small piece of foam or cardboard intot he base of the knuckle during shipping. You would just pull it out when threading your fixture to the stake. This will resolve the issue of the wire being cut or chaffed by the edge of the brass or copper knuckle.

This kind of information is priceless Ned, thanks again!!!

If this is happening during shipping then what is going to happen when the cable is in the ground for awhile and it gets pulled by roots and by natural movement of the ground? Sounds like a future problem?

Chris J
08-31-2007, 12:06 AM
Jack,
Do you have any solutions or recommendations, or just criticisms? Just curious. :gunsfirin

JackTorsed
08-31-2007, 08:11 AM
Jack,
Do you have any solutions or recommendations, or just criticisms? Just curious. :gunsfirin

what are you saying?

Pro-Scapes
08-31-2007, 08:18 AM
If this is happening during shipping then what is going to happen when the cable is in the ground for awhile and it gets pulled by roots and by natural movement of the ground? Sounds like a future problem?

If your putting a bit of slack at the fixture like you should be doing then that should not be an issue. I like the rubber gromet idea but I would have to see it. Perhaps there is a sharp spot on the casting??

Anyone got pics of the situation ? If somethign was able to chafe the wire I am not sure I like the tape it up and stick it in idea. I may of shrink booted it up or something but I think taped up wires look/are unproffesional

Chris J
08-31-2007, 08:56 AM
what are you saying?

I'm simply trying to say that we need to offer solutions to problems rather than just bashing someone about a particular weakness in their line. In reading some of your posts, it appears that you may have a chip on your shoulder regarding these products. I could be wrong.

Chris J
08-31-2007, 08:59 AM
If your putting a bit of slack at the fixture like you should be doing then that should not be an issue. I like the rubber gromet idea but I would have to see it. Perhaps there is a sharp spot on the casting??

Anyone got pics of the situation ? If somethign was able to chafe the wire I am not sure I like the tape it up and stick it in idea. I may of shrink booted it up or something but I think taped up wires look/are unproffesional

Look at the bottom of a 15384.

JoeyD
08-31-2007, 09:56 AM

Comeon Jack! I cannot protect against roots and once a stake is on the light the wire is not creased along a metal edge. Your concern has to do with everyone's lights not just Unique's.

JoeyD
08-31-2007, 10:04 AM
Look at the bottom of a 15384.

Thanks Chris. We have benn discussing this for awhile. We always looked at it as a plug more for moisture not protecting the cable in shipping. But now that this small issue has occured I know we will be looking further into developing some sort of rubber gromit for protection both from moisture and from chaffing the cable in shipping.

And one other note. Although Ned has had this problem it truly is the first time I have heard of it and I can assure all of you we will have this protected against from now on!

Thanks again for all your valuble insight and ideas!!

Joey D.

Pro-Scapes
08-31-2007, 10:05 AM
Comeon Jack! I cannot protect against roots and once a stake is on the light the wire is not creased along a metal edge. Your concern has to do with everyone's lights not just Unique's.

Joey... root problems have to do with poor installation not the fixture. If you leave slack where needed it should be a non concern anyways. I have seen roots grown completly around wires and the wires pulled out of the wire nuts (daisey chain again) because no one left slack.

JoeyD
08-31-2007, 10:13 AM
Joey... root problems have to do with poor installation not the fixture. If you leave slack where needed it should be a non concern anyways. I have seen roots grown completly around wires and the wires pulled out of the wire nuts (daisey chain again) because no one left slack.

I have seen it too. I understand that completely. My point I guess was similar to yours in that it can happen to any light depending onhow you install it. Roots are very strong!!!

Lite4
09-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Hey Joey, just wanted to chime in. I have just recently switched alot of my lighting from Vista to Unique. I have been very impressed with the quality of the fixtures. I usually relate the heftiness of the fixture to quality. If it's heavy enough to bludgen someone to death with it will probably hold up fairly well to weather extremes. I have not used them enough to give good feedback on the sockets, but I do like very much that they come with a wide variety of filter options in the box. (unlike Vista, which is an extra charge). Can I order my lights without the 25' leads? I don't run 16 or18/2 that far to my hub. It's just too much voltage drop for me, I'm sticking to 12/2 leads to my hubs. Anyway, I like what I am seeing coming from Unique. Keep up the good work.

JoeyD
09-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Hey Joey, just wanted to chime in. I have just recently switched alot of my lighting from Vista to Unique. I have been very impressed with the quality of the fixtures. I usually relate the heftiness of the fixture to quality. If it's heavy enough to bludgen someone to death with it will probably hold up fairly well to weather extremes. I have not used them enough to give good feedback on the sockets, but I do like very much that they come with a wide variety of filter options in the box. (unlike Vista, which is an extra charge). Can I order my lights without the 25' leads? I don't run 16 or18/2 that far to my hub. It's just too much voltage drop for me, I'm sticking to 12/2 leads to my hubs. Anyway, I like what I am seeing coming from Unique. Keep up the good work.

Tim,
Thats awesome, I appreciate you giving us a shot!! As far as the wire lead is concerned; we could probably eliminate the entire cord but we have them all pre cut, stripped, and retained in 25', and 50' lengths. Plus we make a supper strong brass crimp, greased,and sealed connection for you at the socket wire. It is a connection you dont want to fail due to it's proximity to the actual socket itself. Just cut the wire and recycle it. The VD through a 25ft 16/2 lead is about a half a volt. I need to double check but I think we switched to 12/2 on our 50ft leads to keep it about the same. I will verify on Tuesday.

If you have any questions as you start to get familiar with the line or any other ideas for product improvement please call me! 760-291-2419.

Joey D.

Lite4
09-02-2007, 10:38 PM
Yeah no prob, I usually just cut off the lead about 18" from the fixture anyway. Just seems like a waste. Guess I can recycle.

JoeyD
09-02-2007, 10:52 PM
You can always use your scrap wire for your XFRMR Sequencer cable. Have you used the Sequencer??

NightScenes
09-03-2007, 10:15 AM
I have a couple of those sequencers here and there.

Pro-Scapes
09-03-2007, 12:27 PM
When I remove a lead from a fixture (pretty rare) I just leave the wire bundled up and toss it in a box. They come in pretty handy sometimes for the fixtures that dont have leads. Too bad your not closer tim or I would buy your spare leads from you.

On last few jobs I used some different methods such as the T... For us the hub really is quicker in MOST cases. I think the 12/2 leads your using tim might be overkill and I like to over wire systems too. Only time I recall using 12 ga leads I beilive we used a 75w bulb to go up 4 stories

Joey I think if unique is using 18ga leads they should shy away from that... 16ga min pls :)

Now what I would LIKE to see is a 11.5v tap for fixtures that are REAL close to the trans. I had one like this on myt last project where I was actually getting 12.2 at the light under load but I was able to use a regulator to get it to 11.4.