PDA

View Full Version : Load leveling devices ???

tomo
08-30-2007, 04:06 AM
hello, considering using such a device on a
vehicle weight 3300lbs
Vehicle max tow capacity is 6600lbs [way to much in my opinion ]
trailer weight 4000lbs
trailer single axle with brakes 12 x 6

As i understand it a single axle is a lot less stable than a dual axle . From previous experience also .
Given the understanding that a single axle influences the vehicle alot more .
Does anybody who tows have a single axle trailler with such a device fitted .Your experiences .
Dual axle owners r welcome to reply

Another point is to remember is that increasing the load capacity to the rear springs is not the absolute answer as in this application .Remember the trailer pushes down on the hitch therefore using the rear axle as a pivot point . This results in the front suspension unloading [poor braking and steering]

LOad leveling devices apparently redistribute weight evenly over tow vehiclef and r axles. Iam assuming stability would then return to also.

tomo:waving:

hosejockey2002
09-04-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm assuming that you're talking about a load distributing type hitch, the type that has brackets mounted to the trailer tongue that connect to spring bars that fit into the hitch head. This type of hitch will work fine with a single axle trailer and improve handling and stability.

Hiwire
09-04-2007, 11:05 PM
I have a weight distributing hitch on my 24' RV trailer. Its like night and day. Well worth the money and once you get used to it it really doesnt take long to hook up, aybe an additional 2 minutes. For an additional few dollars you can also add anti sway saddles to those bars. What a difference!
Ray