PDA

View Full Version : Cottonless Cottonwoods- reliable?

Marcos
08-30-2007, 01:09 PM
I have need for a large number of windbreak trees on an estate in southern Ohio. Cottonwoods are desirable because of the beautiful shape they develop, as well as the clapping sound of the leaves in the summer. No one, of course, likes the cotton flying in the pool and fountains. How reliable are cotton-less cottonwoods to truly be cotton-less? And if they are, where are the best places to buy, or varieties to buy, to ensure sterility of the tree.

newz7151
08-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Cottonwoods do make a good windbreak. I see my neighbor outside all the time after a little breeze, picking up all the Cottonwood limbs that break out (and still have green leaves on them).

bobcat52
11-06-2007, 03:00 PM
try the white ash they are real durable and hold up to tree forts well

Marcos
11-10-2007, 03:47 PM
try the white ash they are real durable and hold up to tree forts well

You're joking, or you're naive to what's going on here in Ohio!
We currently have the Emerald Ash Borer moving in on us from the north, and all of the ashes, of any species, are in quarantine in our part of the state. In the county that I live, northern Warren Co OH, a person will get fined $4000 for moving ash tree wood, alive or dead over the county line, if they get caught!

Cottonwood update:
I found (18) 3" cottonless cottonwoods in southern Indiana for next to nothing from the Amish, and had a friend pick them up with his flatbed and bring them to me as a trade favor. I spent a day last month with him planting them, partly by hand and partly with my Dingo. I lined out a 'double row' of trees in a general 'L' shape to the south and west of the farm.
In a few years, that place, which is our family 'summer hangout' is going to be the nicest place in the world to take a nap under a tree a listen to the cottonwood leaves 'clap' all day! :sleeping: