PDA

View Full Version : Is it true?

Ralph Wiggum
09-01-2007, 02:27 PM
If you seed with a mix of PRG and KBG that the KBG will never grow because the PRG will block it out? heres my mix

25% Darkstar II Perennial Ryegrass
25% Preston Perennial Ryegrass
25% Yorkshire Dales Perennial Ryegrass
15% Deepblue Kentucky Bluegrass
10% Washington Kentucky Bluegrass

Thanks guys

DiyDave
09-05-2007, 07:57 PM
down to less than 10% of the total mix. It is true that prg releases compounds that keep other seeds from germinating. I think the compounds are classified allelomorphs (SP?) Another example of this is a black walnut tree that has the ability to kill other tree seedlings from the compounds that the hulls of the nuts release.:hammerhead:

turfnh2oman
09-06-2007, 01:25 AM
FYI Dave,

The compound released by black walnut trees is called "Juglans" which is also the genus of the species.

As for a compound released by Perennial rye, I've never heard of this theory that keeps other seeds from germinating ?? What Perennial rye will do [if to much percentage of mix] is encourage interplant competition. With the rye taking up all the space [as it'll germinate and establish first] nothing else has a chance to germinate.

Smallaxe
09-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Rapid germination of one specie is the cover crop for slower germinating species. A strategy in farming, but it is done with annuals.
First I have heard of PRG actively Pre-M ing KBG.
Do you think it is real?