PDA

View Full Version : body work on the truck

zim bob the landscaper
09-01-2007, 09:36 PM
heres one of our truck primed and ready for paint.

zim bob the landscaper
09-01-2007, 09:38 PM
another before...

zim bob the landscaper
09-01-2007, 09:39 PM
and another

zim bob the landscaper
09-01-2007, 09:40 PM
one after...

zim bob the landscaper
09-01-2007, 09:41 PM
another after

zim bob the landscaper
09-01-2007, 09:42 PM
yet another after

zim bob the landscaper
09-01-2007, 09:43 PM
and yet another after

zim bob the landscaper
09-01-2007, 09:46 PM
now tell me what you think its not completely done ill get pics when it is. and when we get the bed on it.

G.M.Landscaping
09-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Sweet. Looks like you allready were wet sanding and buffing it. Where did you paint it? What bed is going back on it, stock or flatbed.

Looks like the mirror lower brackets didn't want to come off.

Keep us updated

I've redone many trucks over the years, and it's time I did my 91...looks likes yours.

zim bob the landscaper
09-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Sweet. Looks like you allready were wet sanding and buffing it. Where did you paint it? What bed is going back on it, stock or flatbed.

Looks like the mirror lower brackets didn't want to come off.

Keep us updated

I've redone many trucks over the years, and it's time I did my 91...looks likes yours.

we are putting a flatbed its a rack body but the hoist i dont know if it will fit so we should be getting it soon the fram will be painted lime green our company colors are going to be black and lime green. we painted it at our house my dad used to do autobody for a living and he taught us all he knows so we know alot about it. ya the brackets didnt so we just covered it.

KrayzKajun
09-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Very nice!!

zim bob the landscaper
09-01-2007, 11:36 PM
thanks this truck has come a long way since we got it. it wouldnt start, had no brakes wireing was all messed up and a ton of other things. we got the truck free from another landscaper and they couldnt get it going. we got it home and withing a couple days sorting out their wireing:hammerhead: and a new starter and started siloniod it was running strong. then we replaced the broking rear springs that when they were using the truck they couldnt figure out why the trailer was acting funny so we put some f350 springs on there new brake line and brake calipers and then got it ready for paint not just for to finish the paint hoping to finish next week and get the bed. also turning it into a dually!!!

zim bob the landscaper
09-02-2007, 12:53 PM
more pics coming started the frame today!!!!!!!!

JDWalkbehind
09-03-2007, 09:26 PM
looks nice. what year. and 250 or 350 looks good

indyturf
09-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Looks good! I love old trucks.
I paint my trucks myself too. I use the rustolium oil based paint for about 25 bucks a gallon! thin it out with mineral spirits and its ready to spray! and it holds up real good.

ha305
09-04-2007, 06:39 PM
see all you needed was to give it a good waxing.....

zim bob the landscaper
09-04-2007, 09:06 PM
1989 f250 5.8 with a 351 i think... i dont know but i have more pics of the frame pretty much done what ya think guys.

zim bob the landscaper
09-04-2007, 09:08 PM
heres another...

zim bob the landscaper
09-04-2007, 09:10 PM
ill get pics of it with the lights on it soon and the frame all done... then hopefully soon get some pics with the rack body/flatbed on it and when its a dually.

zim bob the landscaper
09-04-2007, 09:12 PM
sorry about the pic sizes my brother put the pics on here. he may be older but he doesnt no how to do as much stuff as me on a computer. he probably resized them way to small.

G.M.Landscaping
09-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Any updates?

LindblomRJ
09-15-2007, 07:50 PM
1989 f250 5.8 with a 351 i think... i dont know but i have more pics of the frame pretty much done what ya think guys.

The 5.8 and 351 are the same exact engine. One is metric the other is SAE.

zim bob the landscaper
01-24-2008, 09:50 PM
hey guys well the truck is gonna be mine. I'm actually excited this was gonna be my brothers truck but he gave it to me. all i need is $450 to get it all done parts then another $100 for registration and another $30 for inspection. i cant wait getting my license in 4 more months!!!!!!!!! We have done work to the truck. i am painting it again to make it nice and shiny then also we cut the flat bed and we are cutting it again because i do not want a dually. and it should be done in a month or so. ill post pics soon!!

South Florida Lawns
01-28-2008, 02:39 AM
sweet those colors are catchy!

stevenf
01-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Later on I will fix up an old f-250 with that body style. I really want to have one and build an open trailer for the bed.
Very nice work. Heres my 89 Bronco II that I painted.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p175/brherper/Picture056.jpg

PlatinumLandCon
01-28-2008, 01:03 PM
That looks real nice! What did you paint it with? Did you just do it in your garage? I'm going to overhaul my chevy soon and need some help with the painting aspect of things.

stevenf
01-28-2008, 03:48 PM
I painted mine in an old shed that a friend of mine has. If your going to paint it outside, I would recommend 4-5 coats of single stage paint rather than a base/clear paint. You should be able to sand and buff 95% of the trash out of the single stage.

PlatinumLandCon
01-28-2008, 05:38 PM
I painted mine in an old shed that a friend of mine has. If your going to paint it outside, I would recommend 4-5 coats of single stage paint rather than a base/clear paint. You should be able to sand and buff 95% of the trash out of the single stage.

I'd be painting inside a workshop. What sorta gun did you use? Where did you get the paint? Any links to good sites to learn about vehicle painting?

Thanks!
Also, any updated pics?

stevenf
01-28-2008, 06:53 PM
I dont have any good links. Just let me know what you know and Ill add on.

PlatinumLandCon
01-28-2008, 07:09 PM
I dont have any good links. Just let me know what you know and Ill add on.

This is basically what I think should be done: Cut out rust and patch with new metal. Smooth welds and skim coat of bondo to make it all smooth. Sand entire body with 200-250 grit then prime the whole thing. smooth any hi/low spots with bondo (not worth it for a work truck IMO). Spray 2-3 coats of paint, 2 coats of clear.

Question for paint, do you have to add reducer/hardner or any other chemicals to the paint? I guess its the actual painting that i'm concerned about, the prep I'm OK with.

zim bob the landscaper
01-28-2008, 09:05 PM
sweet those colors are catchy!

thanks I'm not totally done with it yeti got to work on the flat bed thats on it get some new sides lights cut off about 6 inches on both sides. then got to do about 3 more coats of real expensive nice black paint then a clear coat. but first im gonna wet sand it again. should come out nice then im gonna get grabber green lettering on it. should look catchy when its all done.

zim bob the landscaper
01-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Later on I will fix up an old f-250 with that body style. I really want to have one and build an open trailer for the bed.
Very nice work. Heres my 89 Bronco II that I painted.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p175/brherper/Picture056.jpg

that looks real nice i want the black to be that good looking. I'm not gonna go all out on this truck because my dad said he might get me a newer one like in a year or so. but i want to make it pretty nice work under the hood a little bit and work in the interior. plus senior year i really look forward to be getting a 1968-1969 Camaro.

stevenf
01-28-2008, 10:23 PM
I would keep that as a work truck even if I got a new one, thoughs colors are nice together.

The paint questions: Depending on the condition of the current paint, you might not need to waste your money on primer. Primer serves mainly as a filler. If your using bondo in alot of places, you will need to prime it to get the best results.
200-220 grit sand paper is ok for smoothing out the bondo and fixing body work. Before you paint it though, you will need to use 320-380 grit or else you will see the scratches through the paint.
I think your best bet would be a single stage paint. Base/clear is a bit harder to do. I would also recommend that you dont paint the truck the same color it already is, this sometimes makes it harder to see if your overspraying which can cause drips in the paint.
All auto paint requires a mix of hardener and reducer. Almost every paint supply store can sell you everything you need in a kit and there are instructions for mixing them all together.
After you sand it with 320-380, you will need to whipe off all of the dust using a chemical that has completely slipped my mind, I will try and find it for you.
After it is painted with 3-5 coats of single stage paint, you can wetsand it with 2000-2500 grit paper and then buff out the scratches. However, you can completely avoid the wetsanding if you paint it inside a shop, take your time with the gun set on a low air pressure, and do multiple LITE coats of paint to avoid dripping.

Let me know anything else you need to know.