PDA

View Full Version : Aquisition of a new business

guntruck
09-13-2001, 11:03 PM
Gentleman, i would like some advice and views on my opportunity. A friend (lawnsite member) Is selling his business and i am a bit interested only if it can greatly benefit me and only if there is some certainty with the accounts. The business is a "real" business, registered, insured, and legit. Being sold is 28 accounts 12 of which are only bi-weekly, the other 19 look to be weekly(28 cuts). The gross is approx. $19,000 for the season, and NONE of the accounts are on a contract or anything of the sort. The owner states he can see if they will sign but this late in the season im doubtful. The $20,000 is based on cutting only no mulch hedge trimming etc. Now originally the price of 10-12k was thrown out by the owner just for the accounts, personally i was shocked!! It seemed enormously out of touch for 28 non-contracted accounts with no gurantee. I was thinking if i were to persue this endeavor, to offer him the money i would pay for the equipment now, offer a small amount now for the accounts so i could finish up the season with the new accounts and have it in writing drawn by my lawyer stating the remainder of what i would pay would be paid to him in June 1st of 2002 ............IF.............ALL the accounts renewed for that season. If only half renewed he would only get half the original amount, if none renew he gets nothing. OR i was maybe contemplating paying him a monthly fee for the accountns for a specific amount of time for the accounts and if any were dropped for any reason then his percentage would also drop so i would not be losing. I know this fella and like him, but make no mistake, business is business and im not gonna lose. Fortunately im not pressed at all and i dont NEED these it is just a nice expansion of my company and im already working in the area. If anyone can give some advice or more importantly what you might be willing to pay for JUST the accounts i would greatly appreciate it. This is our first year and i think we have done extremely well, we are ready for more work and this is a good opportunity. Thank You!!! Everyone

gusbuster
09-14-2001, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by guntruck
Gentleman, i would like some advice and views on my opportunity. A friend (lawnsite member) Is selling his business and i am a bit interested only if it can greatly benefit me and only if there is some certainty with the accounts.

Friends and business don't mix.

As what to offer, offer what you feel is right based on what you know of the accounts.

I can't put you down the right path since we cut all year. Routes are sold differntly here.

Good luck though.
John

bruces
09-14-2001, 08:56 AM
If you can agree on a price for the accounts and equipment I would offer him the following:

Pay for the equipment now.

Pay for the accounts based on a percentage of revenues from the accounts for the balance of this season and part of this season up to the total amount to be paid for the accounts.

If the accounts drop you for any reason, or don't renew for next year, you stop paying for those accounts. This will give him more incentive to help you keep the accounts.

For example, if you agree on 3 weeks fees for the accounts, pay him 10 or 15% of the revenue collected on the accounts each month until each account is paid for. If the account drops you, you stop paying for that account.

This will keep you from paying for business you don't retain
If you retain the business, the seller gets his money.

This way you won't pay for "blue sky".

thelawnguy
09-14-2001, 09:00 AM
In my market that biz would be worth the equipment value only with the customers thrown in as an enticement for quick sale.

IMO the bi-weekly accounts are a detriment maybe he should pay you to take them off his hands.

syzer
09-14-2001, 09:49 AM
Here is a copy of his company status:

http://members-http-1.rwc1.sfba.home.net/mane/mower/Business%20Value.htm

He has 12 customers on 15 cuts and 16 on 28 cuts. We do 32 cuts. The mowers are not new they are belt and kind of old. Please look at the sheet and check it out.

syzer
09-14-2001, 09:55 AM
Im too lazy to fix the messed up forumla but its supposed to be 40 a cut for the missing value and total is 18,000.00.

LoneStarLawn
09-14-2001, 06:24 PM
I'm not really an expert on this, but I would think the revenue of 1/2 month to 2 months would be accurate. I know that is a big difference between the min. and max., but I think other variables play a factor like location, etc. so you would need to determine that within that range.

I would pay on a payment plan since they are not contracted.

1st month--- pay 20% of <b>total agreed upon</b> .

2nd month--- subtract the percentage that has not stayed from the total agreed upon</b> and then pay 30% of that amount.

3rd month--- do the same with the second month but pay the remaining 50%.

I hope that makes since.

LAWNGODFATHER
09-14-2001, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by thelawnguy
In my market that biz would be worth the equipment value only with the customers thrown in as an enticement for quick sale.

IMO the bi-weekly accounts are a detriment maybe he should pay you to take them off his hands.

I'm with thelawnguy on this one.

With season comming to an end, even giving him 2 cuts worth to him for the customers is too much.

LGF:blob1:

syzer
09-17-2001, 08:39 PM
Anyone else have any opinions?

gogetter
09-17-2001, 10:34 PM
I only started this season and I'm only part time, so take my opinion for what it's worth (not much!).
But I do read LS.com religiously, and some other sites occasionally.

I have heard mentioned before that selling a lawn business for HALF of it's total earnings in a year is not uncommon. That would put you at $9,000 for this business.
However, seeing as these are not contracted accounts, and nearly half of the accounts are bi-weekly which is trouble in itself, seems to me that the business should be worth a good bit less then half of the yearly earnings.
I myself probably wouldn't pay more then $3 or $4 thousand tops for the accounts, and then whatever the equipment is worth based on visually inspecting it.

Keep in mind that those bi-weeklys are going to either have to be double cut (at least), or bagged in order to make those clippings dissapear. And if you try to sell the customers on weekly service, they may drop you. Just something to consider.

Good luck and keep up posted.

Jonathan

lawrence stone
09-18-2001, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by syzer
Anyone else have any opinions?

Run away ASAP.

You have non contracted mowing only accounts. That means big green urea tanker does have the fert/pest contract.

What good are two little Lesco one lungers going to be in this situation?

This is still a bad deal if it was given to you at no cost.

cutntrim
09-18-2001, 08:43 PM
I agree with the other naysayers.

Take half the coin he's asking and use it to agressively market your own company. You'll get the accounts that YOU want.

I.E. Property size, location, customer-type, all under contract, weekly properties. If you're a pro and have made a name for yourself and do good work then you oughta be able to get 28 new accounts on your own no problem.

If you still feel like spending more money, then invest in NEW equipment of the type that you want...not the type he wanted.