PDA

View Full Version : catch basin driveway drain

bobbyg18
09-03-2007, 05:01 PM
i have not done a job like this yet, but i want to give it a shot...a potential customer has a driveways that slopes away from the street and has significant water build up when it rains hard

they have a catch basin at the lowest point at the bottom of the driveway that has a pipe that runs to a stream behind the house...however it does not work any longer and the water just builds up in the basin and flows out towards the garage...

my guess is the pipe is either clogged or crushed

my question is can i use the same catch basin? and just dig out the old pipe replace it with a new one?...im sure it will depend but i may need to install a new catch basin

has anyone done this before? any other advice?

Dirt Digger2
09-03-2007, 05:43 PM
send a snake down the pipe...if it doesnt come out the other end find the break/clog and fix it...take the easiest/cheapest alternative, if the catch basin worked once theres no need to replace it unless its broken.

RockSet N' Grade
09-03-2007, 06:41 PM
What DirtDigger said (again) :) I would call a roto-rooter type service and have them snake and clean it.........the can identify the clogged spot and even send a camera down the hole to determine pipe condition. That would be my first line of defense. That always seems to be my first call in a situation like this to gather as much information as you can before you start trying to "fix' the problem.

AWJ Services
09-03-2007, 09:06 PM
If you do replace the pipe at least us a quality smooth interior wall pipe.
The cheap black pipe is only good for a few years if dirt can get too it and it has any low spots.