PDA

View Full Version : what is this worth?

ASCHAL45
09-03-2007, 11:23 PM
2003 F350 4x4 6spd 7.3 liter dump truck 9ft rhino lined bed with a 2001 bobcat 773 w/ 1150 hrs new foam filled tires and tracks w/ a backhoe attachment & a 2004 16ft hudson trailer im pretty sure the bobcat comes with a bucket but im not sure what kind

Gravel Rat
09-03-2007, 11:39 PM
The truck depending on the condition minimum 20,000 the bobcat probably 12,000 and the trailer 4000 dollars. A combination like that could easily get 40,000 for but without seeing pictures its hard to tell.

How many miles on the truck if the truck has high mileage and the box is beat up it might not be worth buying. The machine itself is hard to tell who owned it if its been a owner operator machine it probably be okay.

ASCHAL45
09-04-2007, 12:25 AM
The has decent milage on it and is it pretty good shape and including the bed the bobcat im pretty sure has been owner operator and is a pretty tight little machine but I was thinking in the mid 40's myself

I have a question for you what kind of work would you recommend I do with this type of equipment I do have skid steer experience mostly building pads on the high way for guardrail end treatments which is what i have been doin for the past 4 yrs but I am always gone and a newly wed and would like to do something on my own because around here you cant make money unless you travel alot or run your own business and im tired of traveling all over the state

Gravel Rat
09-04-2007, 12:56 AM
If your good on a skid steer than you can get into driveway rebuilding and regrading. Spreading topsoil and moving soil around peoples yards. A F-350 can't carry much material so trucking isn't a big money maker.

Try see if you can get work with paving companies you go in do the road base prep for residential driveways.

A skid steer doesn't make much money in my area because the rental shop rents a skid steer cheaper than hiring a contractor with experience with a skid steer. So what usually happens is a building contractor rents before they hire a landscape or excavation contractor.

How much competition is there in your area what can you provide that they don't.

AWJ Services
09-04-2007, 10:20 AM
The truck anywhere from 15k to 25 k,the Bobcat 10k,Backhoe 3k and the trailer about 2k.
40 k would be alot for this setup.
The Bocat is not realy not big enough to do anything other than light landscaping and the truck is not really good for much other than hauling a couple tons or less.
Those trucks are popular with Masons and paver guys.

Scag48
09-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Truck is worth around $20K, Bobcat is worth probably $13K, backhoe right around $4K, trailer another $2K. $40K is just about right.

ASCHAL45
09-04-2007, 08:04 PM
I appreciate all the input i knew the bobcat was small and couldnt do alot of heavy work and niether could the truck but it is all priced rather cheap i thought at $34000. I just figured it would be a good place to start at that price what do u think

ASCHAL45
09-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Ive never roughed in a driveway but am about to build a house and i will need a pretty long driveway for so I guess I could practice on that i just want to get away from working on the highway

Scag48
09-04-2007, 08:16 PM
A 773 will do quite a bit of work, I've tackled some pretty big jobs with a Cat 216, which is technically a smaller machine than a 773. I wonder if it's the 773T, which is turbocharged. If so, it can definately handle some larger jobs because it'll have a little more grunt, but if not it's still a decent machine, it just won't have some extra horsepower.

ksss
09-05-2007, 12:06 PM
I am not a big fan of the 773 but depending on what you want to do it would likely get you going. I would want to have a good idea of what you would like to do before you buy the machine. Spending 34K on a setup for you which you really don't have work for can be painful. Usually you would want to look around at your area and see what types of excavation/landscaping are not being serviced and see if you can hit that market. If you have extra money you could just buy the set and develop your own niche as your skills expand. Just kinda depends on what your bank account and abilities are. The other thing to consider is what kinda area do you live in (economy wise). If your seeing good growth that is a good sign, no growth bad sign.

Dirt Digger2
09-05-2007, 04:37 PM
whys there rhino lining in the bed?...wont take just make stuff stick more?

kreft
09-05-2007, 05:32 PM
whys there rhino lining in the bed?...wont take just make stuff stick more?

wont take just make stuff stick more?

What????????

Dirt Digger2
09-05-2007, 06:28 PM
rhino lining is a bumpy non-skid truck bed lining...if you have ever driven a dump truck you want your bed as smooth as possible or you will have material build up and you will always be in there shoveling it out.

Dirt Digger2
09-05-2007, 06:30 PM
excuse me....replace "take" with "that"...

ASCHAL45
09-05-2007, 09:25 PM
That is what i was wondering when i heard that but i figured he knew a lil more than i do i have hauled gravel and asphalt in tandem dumps and i have never seen one with a bed liner.

KSSS central kentucky is growing more and more everyday every place you look there are more stores and subdivisions going in so I thought I would be ok with finding work especially in my area which is just 30 miles from lexington which is a farely large city. Horse capital of the world and all that good stuff.

Fieldman12
09-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Never heard of Rhino in a dump truck. The goal is for it to slide out as smooth as possible. Besides that you also want it to be as clean as possible when switching between what ever your hauling such as dirt, sand, gravel and so on.

janb
09-07-2007, 02:42 AM
... just 30 miles from lexington which is a fairly large city. Horse capital of the world and all that good stuff.

I'd be looking at some specialty work that would have a decent profit margin, I can see something fitting with horse people, as they spend lots of $$$.

Auger attachment would be something I'd consider, if the profit margin on custom Fencing / gates would support you. Maybe custom gate building and installs, and culverts / hydrants, waterers... I don't think you will be trenching too far with the bobcat, but for small jobs, probably ok (watch-out behind you!). My concern with your purchase would be the $$ and limited use / capacity of the truck. I hate to have my capital tied up in something that sits most of the day, but... there may be some good uses in cleaning stalls and composting horse manure. It's pretty light ' stuff', and would work in a 1T. You won't be moving much gravel, maybe just enough to set your gate posts :) - not deadhead home... deliver and install gate, and haul away manure / sawdust --- compost at a convenient site, (not in your backyard...) and resale to your lawn prep customers.

I was pretty impressed to see the horse treadmills at a local race horse training facility. They said a horse only stops running once...:hammerhead: steep (painful) learning curve. They had several treadmills running at the end of each paddock.

I'll just bet there is some specialty work for you out there if you dig.

RockSet N' Grade
09-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Aschal.........we have done alot of horse work. Prep arenas, mow pastures, fix fence, install the base underneath horse stalls and put in rubber mats, fix horse walkers and regrade the area underneath the walkers. You get on with a farm or two and they can keep you pretty busy........

ASCHAL45
09-07-2007, 10:34 PM
I Have thought about working around horse farms and most of yall know there are a million of them around here but the racing business aggravates me I grew up around it and cant stand it at all but money is money andsometimes you just gotta do it. I appreciate all your advice keep it coming.
Would I be better off with a mini and a medium sized skid with a single axle dump. I would probably get more jobs that way wouldnt I.