PDA

View Full Version : Newber Question...Grass Uneven???

2006Silverado
09-04-2007, 12:51 AM
Maybe this is a stupid question, but I'm just not getting the answer...Have a HOA account, they haven't had service in ages, have let things go to crap...Lots of dead grass/spots in the areas I mow. Also lots of bumps/uneven spots in the turf.

Question is, I notice when I mow, I see lines where it looks like I missed a spot. I go say left-right, then overlap and right-left. Yet in this area you can see a higher spot all the way across. In otherwords it almost looks like you didn't mow one of the strips yet. Problem is, the strip has been mowed. And tried it a 2nd, 3rd, etc. times. Tried from different direction...Same thing. With same mower, next customer, no problems. To me obvious answer appears to be it because of dead/diseased spots in the lawn. So when I cut it's more obvious because the dead spot is just 1/2 in. high straw and there's growing grass next to it.

So if this is the case...Then why is it not nearly as obvious before I mow? I realize I just cut the grass so it will stick out, but it just kills me how much more it sticks out after I cut. Also if this is the case, how do I explain to customer? What can I offer them to help fix this? Just need to fert and water? Anything specific? We're in drought here, watering is severly restricted...Can't really tell customer they just need to start watering...At least if there is a fert and/or compost that can help fix this...

topsites
09-04-2007, 02:58 AM
It sounds like a blade issue, possibly a spacer missing or one that's upside down or way worn or dull blade or something along these lines. I'd be for checking up under that deck real good but be careful and all, make sure they're even and sharp and in good shape.

Then I'd be for checking the tire pressures with a gauge, not so much a matter of how much you need per tire, but they all need to have the same psi in them (not all four but at least the two fronts the same and the two backs matching). Because if one side is lower than the other it can cause imbalance, so...

Then I'd check deck alignment, meaning the height setting things, make sure it's even and set properly, maybe one side is higher or something, anyway it's got to be checked out.

Check that first, see how it goes.

2006Silverado
09-04-2007, 11:02 AM
It sounds like a blade issue, possibly a spacer missing or one that's upside down or way worn or dull blade or something along these lines. I'd be for checking up under that deck real good but be careful and all, make sure they're even and sharp and in good shape.

Then I'd be for checking the tire pressures with a gauge, not so much a matter of how much you need per tire, but they all need to have the same psi in them (not all four but at least the two fronts the same and the two backs matching). Because if one side is lower than the other it can cause imbalance, so...

Then I'd check deck alignment, meaning the height setting things, make sure it's even and set properly, maybe one side is higher or something, anyway it's got to be checked out.

Check that first, see how it goes.

Thanks for the input. That was my initial thought, something is uneven, blade, etc. But then I mowed another property after that, and this has happened with 2 different mowers, and the 2nd property looked fine.

Although, I still plan to check out what you said...Just seems like the 2nd property would have looked the same way...???

weeble67
09-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Possibly uneven ground, a low spot that your deck isn't allowing the blades to hit? I had a customer (PIA) who's lawn had a few area's that were like that. You can buzz them with the trimmer if it looks to obvious.

DiGGz
09-04-2007, 09:35 PM
It's the uneven ground ! I'd talk the owner into having the yard top dressed. This will help even things up and make a nice level cut easier. Four of my accounts had their yards top dressed earlier this season and it made a hell of a difference on all of them.

bohiaa
09-04-2007, 11:43 PM
also check tire pressure,,,,

one side being lower than the other will cause a dip "sometimes"

if NOT, then try lowering trie pressure in both, because, If they have high pressure you will get a more bouncy ride and Cut, causing the smallest of uneveness to create what you discribe,

I used to run my tires at full pressure, and would recive undesired results,
even something like running over a quarter sized rock would cause a bad cut

Good luck and keep us posted on your results,

thanks