PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda maintenance

inline lawn care
09-04-2007, 09:03 AM
I want to aerate, reseed and prepare my lawn for the winter months and not have a weed problem for next spring. In what order and at what month should i do this? Is there anything i should do before then? thanks

JoeinJasper
09-04-2007, 01:18 PM
You should not need to reseed bermuda, in fact if you have hybrid sod, the seed is a lower grade and should not be mixed in with sod. You should aerate during the active growing season. You should fertilize and pre-m mid Sept to mid Oct. Use 0-0-8 with Pre-m to prevent winter weeds such as po anna. Reapply the fert and pre-m in mid Feb. Wait until the grass is 50% green then fertilize with a high nitrogen slow release fert. Where are you located? There probably is a Lesco (John Deere)near you. They can set you up with the right products and program. Joe

inline lawn care
09-04-2007, 05:02 PM
I'm in snellville. I believe there is and homedepot on scenic hwy that is a landscape supply store. Do they offer discounts to small business owners? Also, i heard that mid sept is a good time to aerate. Is is ok to aerate twice a year? Once at the beginning of the lawn season and once at the end? I'm a newbee. Thanks for your answers.

JoeinJasper
09-05-2007, 07:48 AM
Look for a Home Depot Landscape Supply ( I believe there is one in Lawerenceville), they sell Lesco products and they should have a sales person to help you out. They do offer discounts to the pro. Stay out of the big orange box they rarely have help and don't offer discounts. Joe

cgaengineer
09-05-2007, 07:59 AM
Look for a Home Depot Landscape Supply ( I believe there is one in Lawerenceville), they sell Lesco products and they should have a sales person to help you out. They do offer discounts to the pro. Stay out of the big orange box they rarely have help and don't offer discounts. Joe

Yeah, the Home Depot Supply Store is at the corner of Boggs Rd. and Scenic Hwy. there are also numerous Pike Nurseries located in the area...as far as John Deere dealer (http://dealerlocator.deere.com/servlet/DealerLocator?command=locate&locator=3&selectLocale=en_US&selectCountry=USA&selectProduct=14&locale=en_US&countryCode=USA&option=L&street=&city=%20&state=&postalCode=30680&radius=&uom=mi&limit=5&groupType=3&groupCode=14&valid=1&sessionId=yWVnoZBjZKWK6Q2-rJ2evP4)...there is one of those in Athens, GA. and Dacula...though I have never seen the one in Dacula. Our local Home Depot carries Lesco products so just buying consumer is an option also.

clallen03
09-05-2007, 08:42 AM
You don't want to aerate in mid Sept.
You may be getting information on a different type of grass. Fescue should be aerated and over seeded in mid Sept and some LCO do it in the spring also. This rule doesn't apply for Bermuda. Aerate once in May or June and you should be fine.

inline lawn care
09-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the tip. I was told by a company that I should aerate bermuda in mid to late Sept. Otis

ed2hess
09-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Time is short for planting bermuda.....need a couple weeks of 90F and a lot of water.

eddings
09-06-2007, 01:15 PM
I would assume that since bermuda is almost impossible to kill that you could aerate any time you please. It isn't going to hurt the grass. If it is good for the soil then why not do it.

It is however, a little late to be planting bermuda. It needs lots of sun, hot temps, and plenty of water.

joshco84
09-06-2007, 09:51 PM
may or early june for aerating bermuda, just called and asked my favorite lawn expert last night and this is what he told me. I would believe anything he tells me so....

clallen03
09-06-2007, 11:18 PM
I'm not sure if it would hurt the turf or not but I am sure that the lawn will not have filled back in by the time it goes dormant. This will leave your client with a pretty ripped up lawn for the entire fall and winter. I don't think they will be too happy about that.

tjsquickcuts
09-07-2007, 12:49 AM
I say its okay to still aerate until Oct....Bermuda grass should be aerated during the peak growning season so that it can repair it self quicker but the reason you are not suppose to aerate in the fall is because of the Fall and Winter lawn treatments.....If your lawn is treated to soon after an aeration then you might have some serious problems.....but as long as you give yourself a 6 to 8 week window before you treat your lawn you should be fine. I am actually planning on aerating a few lawns this weekend if we have a good chance for rain next week, but only if we are going to get rain.....But Bermuda should be fine until late Oct., which by then the temps should start to change.....JMO....

Focal Point Landscapes
09-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Tjsquickcuts is right - bermuda can be aerated multiple times per year and it is particularly helpful this time of year in correcting the compaction that has occurred during the growing season . An irrigated area of turf will dissolve the plugs very quickly , and mowing the turf pulverizes them - I aerated several acres at a private school last week you can hardly find a core now and roots are filling the holes. In my experience , correct cultural practices for bermuda include at least two core aerations per year.

tjsquickcuts
09-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Tjsquickcuts is right - bermuda can be aerated multiple times per year and it is particularly helpful this time of year in correcting the compaction that has occurred during the growing season . An irrigated area of turf will dissolve the plugs very quickly , and mowing the turf pulverizes them - I aerated several acres at a private school last week you can hardly find a core now and roots are filling the holes. In my experience , correct cultural practices for bermuda include at least two core aerations per year.

I couldn;t agree more.....:clapping: ......

Oh BTW, WE ARE GETTING RAIN......3rd round today....got caught out in the rain today though....was in the middle of grading a back hill and was on the slope...rain came in quick....thank god I was in a track Loader because it got real muddy real fast....couldn;t get a signal for my internet so didn;t know storms were coming....

cgaengineer
09-12-2007, 07:48 AM
I got rain too TJ! It want much but I cant complain!

tjsquickcuts
09-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Sure was nice to have that rain.....Hopefully we will get more today...

***doing my rain dance as I walk to the kitchen***

sandman23
09-12-2007, 10:32 AM
I am still a rookie but I have a veteran friend that says aerating Bermuda when the temps are above 90 is harmful. It allows heat to get to the root system and causes stress. Some of my lawns have compact soil and I have been contemplating having them aerated. He also states that at the end of the season, when Bermuda goes dormant, you don't want holes in the ground. You actually want a thick heavy coat on top to protect from freeze. He suggests Bermudas final growing height at the end of the season should be around 3". He also a believer in scalping in the spring. I have followed his guidance and my lawns seem to be doing well considering the late freeze, drought, and heat.

Curious to see you guys opinion on this topic.

tjsquickcuts
09-12-2007, 10:05 PM
You can not kill, but only hurt bermuda temporarily. It doesn't matter if you aerate in Jan or in July while its 100 degrees Bermuda just needs water and it will repair itself almost overnite. No other grass can stand up to Bermuda. I sprayed round-up on a lawn this winter and it came back so beautiful......Just think about all those brown lawn before we got rain a few weeks ago. Just about all my lawns have turned green, and with the mild temps and rain this week, they all should be green by next week. Scalping lawns in the spring is what should be done....all the dormant grass needs to be cut off, and cut as low as possible.....Having your lawns @ 3" during the fall is going to work against you....especially if we get rain and leaves start sticking to bottom of the grass....makes leaf blowing a pita....I try to get them down to at least 1.5 but no lower then 1".....My lawns are all thick because of the low growth.....the higher bermuda is, the more thin it is......