PDA

View Full Version : Mini Track loader and hill?

Boonman
09-04-2007, 03:37 PM
I have a unique lakeside situation. The cottage(s) are on a steep hillside. I would estimate approx. 50-60 degree incline. Would a mini track loader, walk behind, like a Bobcat MTL50 or 52 or similar machine be able to climb this type of incline. COnditions are a grassy hill, (they cut it with a push mower), very dry, and the dig site is flat. I need to get a mini excavator in there, and one of these walk behind machines with a backhoe attachment came to mind. I have heard of these machines climbing stairs, and things of that nature, but I have yet to use one. I do not want to rent it, and get it to the site, and not be able to get it up the hill (40' long) and into the area needed. This project is on the verge, and I do not want to hand dig it. it needs a considerable hole. I have a way in, but no way up this hill.

Grn Mtn
09-04-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm sure your situation may be similar, this was off Keuka lake. I rented the Dingo 420tx to help auger some plant holes, move 5 tons of compost, and 2 pallets of mulch. Unfortunately the turf tracks of the Dingo would just slip under the gravely hill, then it rained for two months so me and my helper ended up moving the soil in 5gal buckets:cry: and Pick-axing the rock soil:cry:

Maybe the Boxer because its tracks are beefy and the low torque of the deisel engine. or set up a temporary block and tackle or put a winch at the top of the hill...

Here are some picts to help you decide if yours is similar...

minimax
09-04-2007, 11:31 PM
Did you mean to say 50-60% not 50-60 degree incline you wont climb up that if it is degrees

minimax

SiteSolutions
09-04-2007, 11:32 PM
Hard to tell without being there but a mini ex can climb a hill. I have done some work for home builders on hillside sites with my CTL and a mini ex. I sometimes have to make a ramp with the loader, then drive the mini ex down to where I am working, then drive the spoils up the ramp, and then dig the ramp out. A CTL with a loaded bucket will go up an amazingly steep hill. Facing downhill and backing up with an empty / lightly loaded bucket, I have been on slopes where I couldn't have stayed in my seat without my seatbelt.

With a mini ex, you could try just sticking the bucket all the way forward in front of you to keep your weight forward of you as you go forwards up the hill. If that is too unstable or doesn't work for whatever reason, you could try backing up the hill, using the bucket & boom to push yourself up and stabilizing yourself with the blade in between pushes. Barring unstable soil or very large solid obstacles, there's few places these machines won't go. (You may have to make a bit of a mess to get there!)

I have no experience with the mini machines so I can't say whether they would work better or worse or at all.

mverick
09-08-2007, 12:26 AM
On a tracked bobcat, go up the hill backwards. bucket down on the ground

On a mini x go up the hill with the bucket and arm fully extended down hill and dragging in the dirt. And the blade down hill side also.

Same way to go down hill also. Buckets down hill.

I've flipped em before. It isn't tough to do. But, it was going into a hole without a ramp. And to fast with a high loaded bucket over a ramp.

Not my cats' though..:) :cool2: