PDA

View Full Version : seeding

kjslawn
09-04-2007, 08:30 PM
I have a commercial custumer that wants aeration and seeding the soil here sucks. So I am wondering would burmuda grow better, I have other other yards that are burmuda and they stand up to everthing drought, traffic, etc has anyone overseeded with burmuda?

kjslawn
09-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Hey someone has to help a guy out here noone has ever seeded with burmuda?

ed2hess
09-05-2007, 06:37 PM
To get bermuda up you will need 90F for around a couple weeks and a lot of water.....do they have irrigation? The cold temperatures don't hurt or kill bermuda in your area?

kjslawn
09-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks mabe I'll try something with a heavy rye mixture

2menandamower
09-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Since you said "the soil sucks" I am assuming that you have had a soil sample tested??? If so then fix the soil and and then seed it with a ggod turf type fescue,,,, and water the crap out of it... When I say fix the soil i mean add Lime or whatever it needs according to the soil test.. I know here in TN Lime make a BIG differnce in the soil and the way the lawn looks..... Good Luck

kjslawn
09-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Thanks I will try that

topsites
09-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Yup, what he said, lime, and I also like Gypsum of late (aka Clay buster).
For those of you who get into it, check out some of that gypsum when you get a chance, I love that stuff, as much as lime.

For the technos, lime is calcium carbonate, gypsum is a calcium sulfate dihydrate, both types of calcium are good for lawns, even thou gypsum is used mostly for farming, the nice part is the price, like lime, gypsum costs a little more but still cheap.
Solu-Cal works real good also, but it's a bit pricey.

Gypsum is used to break up clay soils, it increases the soil's water retention capacity among other things, I find I dump 120-200 pounds on a 1/4 acre and if gypsum is all I put down I can still see a difference, it really does help and you can't go wrong, I've dumped 3-400 pounds on a 1/4 acre before and omg what a difference THAT made (nothing else either).

I'm not 100% sure if gypsum does anything on a non-clay soil but I'd be willing to bet it does, every time I've used it I seen a difference in the soil later, thou it does take 6-12 months before it can be re-applied, the effects are cumulative and does not affect the ph of the soil. For about $6 a bag you can just dump 3-4 bags on a 1/4 acre for a test, do it for free and see what happens.

In most cases per 1/4 acre: 50 pounds of 90% germ rate fescue, 40 pounds at 30% phosphorus, 3-4 bags of lime and 3-4 bags of gypsum (120-200 pounds each).

What did I forget?
No I think that's it, make sure to use a walk-behind aerator and wait for rain!
Aerate within the 3 days after a good solid rain, not before lol but no later than the first 3 days.

See because it's already up to $270 or so...
Bermuda, at least in VA is hard to find, and if you can find it then it's way high in price, far more than fescue...