PDA

View Full Version : ERRRRRR customer BS

jbell113
09-04-2007, 08:15 PM
A regular yearly customer calls me up and tells me I need to bring pruning shears because the tops of her Liriope is seeding and I need to cut them off by hand. She Says grab a hand full and clip them off. She says that the seeds at the top will drop off and spread. Is this true?

Has any of you heard of this before or have you done this before.

BeautifulBlooms
09-04-2007, 08:18 PM
All flowering perennials will turn to seed and if left the seeds will eventually spill out and cause the specific perennial to spread. It is the same as thistle, catch thistle before it seeds or you will have much more the next year.

We cut things down in the fall and if the area can be thickened up we sprinkel the seeds over the area, but where clear definition needs to be maintained we will try and remove as much of the seedheads before the seed drops.

Marcos
09-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Up here in Ohio, if Liriope survives the winters, it only spreads by rhizomial activity, and very gradually at that. I think she's on the right track, but doesn't know why! What I suspect that you won't get, unless you prune the seedheads, is a strong flush of energy to the roots. Remember that any plant's seed creation (and flowering periods) take a great amount of energy, and diverting that to the roots in this instance may help next year's show.

jbell113
09-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Ok , I appreciate your reponses.

BeautifulBlooms
09-04-2007, 09:34 PM
My response was not specific to liriope as I have no idea what that is, I was speaking more in general about perennials

Grits
09-04-2007, 09:57 PM
My response was not specific to liriope as I have no idea what that is, I was speaking more in general about perennials

It's like "Monkey Grass". Ornamental grass.

EagleLandscape
09-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Monkey Grass is Ophiopogon japonicus... not get be confused with Liriope muscari, or Liriope spicata etc.