PDA

View Full Version : safety

Toy2
09-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Listen up folks, we had invited a ton of folks over for my son's wedding, I walked the entire yard and securing everything possible because I knew small kids would be hanging around...trailers locked, sheds locked, etc...well after an evening of drinking with everyone, one of the small girls comes running into the house crying, we head outside and WTF....I had three little girls ages 4 to 7 playing on my open trailer....and one of them popped the pins and gate came crashing down....we had to rush her to the hospital, it somehow landed on her thigh...fat part and just brusied it up pretty bad, no broken bones...we were all shaken up, this gate is on my 16' open trailer and weighs a ton, it could have killed one of them if it hit them on the head....so put locks on everything, no matter what...Its locked 24/7...Safety first...plus do not, I repeat do not trust little girls!!

Marcos
09-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Praise the Lord

lawnpro724
09-05-2007, 12:48 PM
first place, watch your kids they want to do everything they see you do. They want to be just like daddy. Let the kids know that they should not be playing around your equipment since most of the stuff we use in this business can hurt children or worse. I'm glad to hear that the kids weren't hurt to bad but never let kids play on or around your equipment. The second you don't watch them is the second they get hurt.

Americal Vet
09-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Several years ago I had a Jeep CJ5 with a soft top. Therefore no door locks. The steering wheel is locked. But my son who was 5 at the time, and another kid about 6 or 7 climbed in and were able to knock it out of gear. It rolled backwards and down a steep embankment. Nobody was hurt thank goodness, and it took another jeep to pull me out.

I'm glad that the little girl in the original post did not get seriously hurt. Of course we don't have any little ones around anymore, and all of our friends being the same age don't have young kids either.

The biggest danger is the fridge in my shop filled with grain based beverages. Can't keep my buddy's out of it.:drinkup:

KTO Enterprises
09-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Its quite amazing the things kids can don and not get hurt. Go outside as an adult, lay down and let a friend drop the trailer gate on your thigh. Id be willing to bet a lot that you would break bones.

This takes me back to my days as a kid, at the yacht club we had a pool with a 9 foot high dive. I was climbing up the ladder and when i got to the top I slipped and my right leg went between a bar that runs parallel to the diving board and the board itself. I remember hanging by my leg only and was not hurt other than a few bruises. If I think about jumping off that high dive today I get injured somehow.

Supper Grassy
09-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Good idea to have another way to lock the ramp also i am glad serious inguries were avoided

Toy2
09-05-2007, 06:18 PM
The trailer was empty as all my stuff was locked up in my enclosed trailer.....I have safety tape everywhere so no chance of slipping....I still don't understand how she pulled the pins....they are a pain to pull..the other girl said she pulled one, then went and pulled the second, then she climbed on it and boom...down it came...plus my kids are grown, so no little ones, the 4 year old was my granddaughter, she was inside the trailer, the other two where family from out of town...I did offer to pay for the ER visit, but they declined.....people laugh at me when I am dumping the trailer, as I have to unlock the gate, then I tell the story...it does make you think...