PDA

View Full Version : Bed covers??

gogetter
09-14-2001, 11:27 PM
Hi guys. With the question about gas mileage being asked on this forum, it brought up a new question that I have.

I've heard that putting a bed cover on a pick up can increase gas mileage by a couple MPG's.

Can anyone here say that they have personally measured a difference after adding a bed cover? How much?

Thanks.

fivestarlawnken
09-14-2001, 11:43 PM
I don't think it would make much of a diff.There are so manty variables to figuring out your gas mileage. I think a bed cover, would get in my way and be in the trash.

Premo Services
09-15-2001, 12:28 AM
fivestarlawnken . I think a bed cover, would get in my way and be in the trash.

I would have to disagree with you. I have a cover on my gmc, the same color as the truck, the windows are deep tinted. You put your head right up to glass, and still can`t see much inside, I leave most of my stuff in there all year.
For mileage, I don`t think it matters with or without the top, my twuck eats gas like a hog. It is always hungry.:(

gogetter
09-15-2001, 01:00 AM
A friend of mine did say that he got 2 to 3 mpg difference with a cover.
It does seem to make sense, less drag. Although I guess around the town driving with a trailer at relatively slower speeds and lotsa stop and go, it may not make much difference.

But I would think on the highway it should make a difference.

I don't think it would really be in my way since most stuff is on the trailer anyway.

Maybe I'll consider one of those tailgate nets instead. Oh well.

Thanks for the replies.

smalltime
10-01-2001, 11:01 PM
Jonathon,

I just posted to this forum, concerning the gas mileage. I did not see this thread before I posted the other. Hopefully you will read this.

One other poster said that he gets 14 to 15 mpg in his two 99 silverado ext 4X4's. I have a 2000 silverado ext 4X4. I also have a roll-n-lock bed cover on mine. My truck is a short bed. I have recently been getting 17 mpg. This is a mix of highway and city driving.

It seems to make a bit of a difference. If you are considering purchasing a bed cover, I would highly recommend the roll-n-lock. I have the older design that has an anodized, black aluminum finish, as opposed to the newer design with the vinyl finish. The design I have will hold 250 pounds on top, with no damage. I often walk on top of it to wash the roof of the truck. The newer will only hold 150 pounds.

The customer service is outstanding. When One of the release rods lost a bolt, which caused the driver side catch to stick in the lock position, I had to use a hammer and screwdriver to chisel it open. I found that the catch was stripped, thus allowing the screw to come off. I called roll-n-lock, told them what all was damaged and why. The rep said that he thought they had caught all those covers with that problem before they were shipped. In just a few short days, I had all new peices at my door step. That is, all the peices to fix the problem and to replace the ones that I had to damage myself to get the thing open.

In addition, the bed rails have plastic end caps on them that sometimes, if you do something like pull the cover farther back than you should, with the tail gate open, will pop out of their track. If you don't know this has been done, such as a time when the truck gets borrowed, you find that when you go to shut the tailgate, it breaks the end caps into peices. I called roll-n-lock, fully expecting to order new end caps and pay a few dollars. They just took down my address and dropped them in the mail, no charge.

There are caveats:

I have had it freeze closed in the winter. A hairdryer on the lock takes care of this. This happened one time. My door locks on the truck would have been frozen too, if not for keyless remote.

It takes a bit of trial and error to get the bed rails positioned just right. If you pay someone to install it though, you don't have to worry about that. I would say it took me about 2 or 3 hours to install.

It is not completely waterproof, but is not too bad. You could make it waterproof with some weatherstripping in a few places, like around the tailgate, which you would have to do with any other bed cover too. The other areas are the stake pocket holes, which roll-n-lock provides covers for.

In summary: an outstanding company, an outstanding product. I highly recommend. Plus, look at it this way. You can lock up all your lawn care equipment, at least those items that will fit in the bed, and get better gas mileage. You could also roll it up, and haul a refrigerator. Lets see you do that with a fiberglass cover, without removing it. The cover is not inpenetrateable, but is close. Plus, it is so cool. I get lots of compliments on it.

Steve

65hoss
10-04-2001, 12:56 AM
I have a soft cover on my F150. It does nothing for in-town driving. On the road it makes about 1 mpg difference.