PDA

View Full Version : Advice, please....

CreatesMoreWork
09-06-2007, 02:00 AM
I saw a similar thread on this issue - so I'm cross posting this forum with a builders forum as well - as I'm very worried about this, and am seeking input ASAP.... I apologize if this is off-topic - but I really need some advice ASAP...

Last week I cleared an area out next to a fence that has a slight slope on it (about 1' within 2-3' distance). I cut the ground down equal to the neighbor's fence line, and then put in a retaining wall consisting of 2x12s, staked in with 18" steel stakes.

Then, I poured a long slab with the intention of building a firewood shelter on it. The next day, I noticed that one part of the retaining wall has moved about 1/2" or so - so I staked it with 48" long, 1/2 thick rebar at several points to arrest the movement.

I'm now trying to determine the best path to stabilize the hillside and arrest further movement of this slab, or the retaining wall beneath it... I've been considering driving some rebar in at an angle against the slab, or even tunneling beneath it in places to pour smaller bench footings...but I'm not sure...

When you have a second, could you take a look at the images I've placed out on Photobucket (http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/CreatesMoreWork/), and give me your thoughts on this...

Thanks -

RockSet N' Grade
09-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Live with it till it fails, which it is doing and will continue to do, and then tear it out and do it properly. Lumber staked in the ground with stakes is not a long term solution or a proper retaining wall to hold concrete or the dirt underneath. Staking in rebar at angles may give temporary minor relief, but that too is just a band aid.

CreatesMoreWork
09-06-2007, 02:24 PM
So, when the time comes to remove this thing - actually three slabs (each 24' x 2' x 7"), then do you think I should just hire a crew to come in here and break it up and haul it away? I mean, I don't think this is something I can do with a jackhammer from Home Depot...is it?

dons
09-06-2007, 10:37 PM
As a cheap fix I'd probably core drill the slab front and back every 4' a few inches in from the edge and drive a treated 1" rebar (#8) down as deep as you can go. A 7" slab is pretty substantial and would hate to waste it. I'd guess that solution would outlast a lot of us here.

Good luck.

ProLandscapes
09-07-2007, 01:15 AM
Your screen name "createsmorework" is right on. You shouldn't be taking on work that you know nothing about. You give reputable contractors a bad name. I always overkill every job I do and give a 5-year warranty on structural and hardscape jobs of all kinds.

CreatesMoreWork
09-07-2007, 03:17 AM
Your screen name "createsmorework" is right on. You shouldn't be taking on work that you know nothing about. You give reputable contractors a bad name. I always overkill every job I do and give a 5-year warranty on structural and hardscape jobs of all kinds.

Easy there, ProLandscapes - I'm just a civilian - not a professional. Actually, I'm a software developer...but it's good to hear you back your work up with the warranty, etc - I do also...

Dons - thanks for the advice - your timing was good. A good (contractor) friend of mine who does commercial construction (including retaining walls) is coming by on Saturday - but has seen the photos and told me to relax.

He suggested the very thing you did - but we're going to do the sides, plus drill it in two places (per section) and run spikes vertically. This will be done on Saturday (so I can get some sleep). It's only for a small firewood shelter - and the prognoses seems to be (listening to the folks here and at four other sites, plus other friends and observers) that while it's not the best, it will be ok for now. If it starts to go, it will be slow - and I'll have it removed (and then done correctly - as suggested).

Thanks everyone for your input - it was very helpful! :)

-CreatesMoreWork (a name suggested by my wife)

RockSet N' Grade
09-07-2007, 07:37 AM
CreatesMore...........don't you just love it when your wife comes up with these little gems? :) At our home, I know who wears the pants in this family........and she looks darn good in 'em too! Take care and good luck on your projects......around our ranch here, I got the nickname "Chore Boy"........the chores never end.........rough and tumble from 9-5, but when it's after hours at home, it sure is another story........your last line really cracked me up....

dons
09-07-2007, 06:43 PM
You guys are funny. I have a wife and three daughters and believe me I know who wears the pants at the end of the day....'everyone but me' :dizzy: ...lol

Glad to see it'll work for you CreatesMoreWork and good luck tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.

wellbuilt
09-07-2007, 08:45 PM
I did the same type of job at my house I heat with wood.I would have filled the hole forum in with 3500 concrete and steel wire . I have footings in the center of my slab every 8 ' with 6x6 posts i have a 4' wide slab with a 6 foot roof that runs about 45' one side is a fence .My slabs float up and down with frost . Its been there for 10 years maybe you could run footing round and back and put a roof over it . good luck

CreatesMoreWork
09-07-2007, 11:43 PM
I did the same type of job at my house I heat with wood.I would have filled the hole forum in with 3500 concrete and steel wire . I have footings in the center of my slab every 8 ' with 6x6 posts i have a 4' wide slab with a 6 foot roof that runs about 45' one side is a fence .My slabs float up and down with frost . Its been there for 10 years maybe you could run footing round and back and put a roof over it . good luck

Yeah, I know - thinking about now (too late) I should have dropped baby piles down to control it's movement. Someone else suggested I pull out some of the backfill, and replace it with concrete and rebar - solidifying the retaining wall for the entire length of the wall...see below - their mod of my drawing... What do you guys think of that?

Oh, the shelter - it's a result of our new fireplace insert (just installed). We got really tired of the huge gas bills - and are hoping that this thing will give us some additional heat this winter...

dons
09-08-2007, 12:23 AM
Disturbing the natural soil at this point would be a negative in my opinion if you want keep what you already have.. I'd just pin it. Keep in mind I'm thinking easy solutions.

RockSet N' Grade
09-08-2007, 06:15 PM
CreatesMore.......stab some rebar sticks in the ground on the outside of the wood to help stabilize your 2x12's and let it go. Stack that slab full of wood for the winter. It's done. No sense in upping the worry factor......see what it looks like next spring and if it didn't hold, then redo the whole thing correctly. Don't waste your time, money or effort on the concrete retaining attempt that you posted.