PDA

View Full Version : How many hours before trade-in?

GTLLC
09-06-2007, 04:39 PM
I have a JD Z-trurn 48" pushing 700 hours-- what should I do? Use it until it wears out? Tradit it in? Any thoughts?

Thanks

topsites
09-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Other than the hours, if nothing's wrong with it keep on getting it, sounds like you might have one of them 10-15 year lifeline mowers. You don't want to wait until it's all crapped out, but I'd only trade it in if they gave me a solid grand or more for it (and likely they won't), but I think it's probably worth that much and maybe more.

Now if it's getting to the point where it's breaking down more than it should, then you might consider getting something newer.
It's more of a matter of downtime vs. profit and all the other cost factors vs. a specific hour mark, there's no way I'd advise to trade something in based solely on number of hours.
It's up to you, but new mowers can be lemons, too...
If old runs good, keep on running it, my attitude.

All_Toro_4ME
09-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Well said Topsites. Run it til the wheels fall off is what I say...

fitzg2md
09-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Remember tax advantages too...this can help the cost of a new mower.

I really am not the best to answer this question, but I feel most major LCOs trade in at around 1000 hours. Mowers will usually last the long without any major problems. hell, I have a 4000 hour lazer Z right now. Just put a new motor on it, but at 3500 hours still had all origional hydraulics and motor.

You want to avoid downtime. If you have a strong stable of backup mowers you can afford to hold onto your machines longer since you will still be able to work. No good backups? Buy new and trade often. My 2cents. -Mike

Americal Vet
09-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Kinda like the old saying, or perhaps cliche', but if it aint broke don't fix it. If you are still getting food service (and you have obviously been good about maintenance) hang onto it. However, just as anything else you start to worry after a bit. If you have backup just in case this old work horse stumbles, then you are okay. Mind you, if it does go down I would not sink alot of money into it. You may come out better selling to an individual rather than a trade in. Hey, you know your market so just do what you think is best, and that will be the correct thing.

fitzg2md
09-06-2007, 09:12 PM
americal vet- Food service? What kind of amazing mower do you have!?! I want one! :laugh:

LawnMan883
09-07-2007, 09:55 AM
I have a John Deere tractor with 2300 hours and it keeps on going... it's all about how you care for it.