PDA

View Full Version : Mowing rates in Michigan

jrlandscaping781
09-06-2007, 11:53 PM
I currently do only installations with no lawn mowing services. I have had a quite a few requests for lawn mowing this year and there are few contractors in my area, so I am thinking about getting into it. The area that I live in has larger yards say min 1/2 acre up to 2 acres. I'm thinking of a 60" ZTR which I can do my 2 acres with as well. But wonder if it will be overkill on some of the 1/2 acre lots? I know a 36" walk-behind would be nice, but need to keep the equipment costs down. What size do you guys recommend? Also, what is the going rate? The sales rep from JD store told me about $50 an hour. How much can I expect to mow in an hr? What do you charge for trimming? I'm sure this pricing question has been asked numerous time. And I'm sure prices vary from town to town as well. Just looking for an average. I do not want to be a "low-baller". That does us all no good. Also one last question...don't laugh...but when you are doing the trimming work, is there a trick to staying clean?? Whenever I get the trimmer out, I have grass all over me..lol! Thanks for your help!

d&rlawncare
09-07-2007, 12:18 AM
I currently do only installations with no lawn mowing services. I have had a quite a few requests for lawn mowing this year and there are few contractors in my area, so I am thinking about getting into it. The area that I live in has larger yards say min 1/2 acre up to 2 acres. I'm thinking of a 60" ZTR which I can do my 2 acres with as well. But wonder if it will be overkill on some of the 1/2 acre lots? I know a 36" walk-behind would be nice, but need to keep the equipment costs down. What size do you guys recommend? Also, what is the going rate? The sales rep from JD store told me about $50 an hour. How much can I expect to mow in an hr? What do you charge for trimming? I'm sure this pricing question has been asked numerous time. And I'm sure prices vary from town to town as well. Just looking for an average. I do not want to be a "low-baller". That does us all no good. Also one last question...don't laugh...but when you are doing the trimming work, is there a trick to staying clean?? Whenever I get the trimmer out, I have grass all over me..lol! Thanks for your help!

If you get into the mowing let me know. I have a good connection at the MSP Scales in grass lake for mowing. Its to far for me but I can tell you how to get in on the bids and a ballpark on what will get you the contract. Anyone else in that area can get this info as well. Just PM me. The contract is up at end of this year. Must be fully legal for a state contract. Woud hate for you to pull into the DOT scales and not be!!!!!

The key to staying clean during trimming is to have someone else do it!

P.Services
09-07-2007, 12:23 AM
on the low side 50hr thats mow trim blow, if the whole job takes one hour 50 bucks on the high side,what i price all mine at is 75hr. i would like to get more but my area has so many low ballers thats hard to do so im happy with 75hr

SomervilleLawncare
09-07-2007, 02:20 PM
D&R lawncare,

Are all of the MSP Scales in the state contracted out for mowing? I'm just curious, I always figured they would be done by the county or government crews

Runner
09-07-2007, 10:05 PM
If you're going from doing installs to mowing, you're moving backwards. I would focus more energy on marketing more installs, or look into irrigation or something. There is absolutely no operation in the whole entire green industry that is less lucrative than mowing. It is for the bottom feeders. The only thing mowing should be used for is a foot in the door for upsales.

Runner
09-07-2007, 10:05 PM

DuraCutter
09-08-2007, 01:21 AM
If you're going from doing installs to mowing, you're moving backwards. I would focus more energy on marketing more installs, or look into irrigation or something. There is absolutely no operation in the whole entire green industry that is less lucrative than mowing. It is for the bottom feeders. The only thing mowing should be used for is a foot in the door for upsales.

Exactly what I've been saying for a long time. "STAY AWAY from mowing unless you really love mowing because if you don't love it, you surely won't be doing it to make real money!!!!

It's a foot in the door, no more.

:)

Lawnut101
09-09-2007, 12:05 AM
Exactly what I've been saying for a long time. "STAY AWAY from mowing unless you really love mowing because if you don't love it, you surely won't be doing it to make real money!!!!

It's a foot in the door, no more.

:)

I make pretty good money off of mowing, but the extra jobs do pay better. But the thing about mowing is that there will always be some grass to cut. Just find customers that don't care if you come when it's dry, or a few times a week if it's been raining a lot.