PDA

View Full Version : Centipede Grass????

2menandamower
09-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Ok I have a customer that is wanting to kill everything in his yard and restart it with Centipede Grass? From what I understand with Centipede is that you will have a hard time with other weeds that can be controled with say Tri-mec or 2-4-D. Is it correct that those chems will kill centipded grass also??? I am trying to talk him out of it and going with Fescue but so far he is not giving in.... How do you establish with Centepede??? Do you seed like with Fescue or do you have to sprig it like Bermuda???? Never delt with this stuff except for killing it.... ha Ha...

KTO Enterprises
09-06-2007, 11:41 PM
I dont think that far north centipede will live.

Cold winters ruin a centipede lawn

2menandamower
09-06-2007, 11:52 PM
OK what about the weed control issues. Will I need special chems to treat it later on??? That is my major concern.. Does it not go dorment like bermuda? New to this one but thanks for the info....

KTO Enterprises
09-06-2007, 11:54 PM
http://www.centipedegrass.com/

this will tell you all you need to know

Grits
09-07-2007, 12:48 AM
I don't know about the chemicals. But you can either sod, plug, or seed. I prefer to sod. Instant gratification.
Centipede does a good job of choking out a lot of weeds.

Grits
09-07-2007, 12:53 AM
It doesn't go truly dormant and KTO is right, the harsher winters will kill it. Please excuse my ignorance, but, does it snow up there? If so , it'll die.

Richard Martin
09-07-2007, 02:47 AM
I agree with Grits. Centipede is low maintenance once it is established. 2,4-D can be used in low doses. 2,4-D will discolor Centipede. Soil pH should be around 5.0 for best appearence and growth.

nmurph
09-07-2007, 08:15 AM
centipede is all we have down here in the woods. it is a lazy man's grass, but is well suited to the climate of SE GA. it is hard to establish from seeds, but relatively easy to do so from sod or plugs. 2-4-d will not hurt centipede if it is used according to label directions. if it is too hot when it is applied it can turn it a little yellow for a few days. the biggest problem with centipede is over fertilization and over watering. it only needs about 1 lb of N 2x's per year/1k sf. it tends to brown off earlier than st augustine, but both are very tolerant of drought. they will turn brown with a drought and green back up quickly when you would swear they were dead. it also benefits from a short cut which helps prevent thatch accumulation.
here is a good link from UGA

http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/L313-w.html

RAlmaroad
09-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Ok I have a customer that is wanting to kill everything in his yard and restart it with Centipede Grass? From what I understand with Centipede is that you will have a hard time with other weeds that can be controled with say Tri-mec or 2-4-D. Is it correct that those chems will kill centipded grass also??? I am trying to talk him out of it and going with Fescue but so far he is not giving in.... How do you establish with Centepede??? Do you seed like with Fescue or do you have to sprig it like Bermuda???? Never delt with this stuff except for killing it.... ha Ha...

Scott:
I'm up the road from you in Kingsport.
I have a house in SC where we have centipede and know something about it.
(1) It is a warm seasoned grass. I would not use it in Knoxville.
(2) It CANNOT tolerate chems with 2-4D, Trimec, etc. There are other things to control those hard-to-control weeds. Chems. are Atrazine, and Vantage, Image, etc.
(3) It can be seeded or sodded. Sodding is instant but you've have a time finding sod this far north.

PM me for other info. but as mentioned above--DO NOT USE IT HERE!
ROY

nmurph
09-07-2007, 03:43 PM
roy, i have to disagree with you regarding 2,4-d on centipede. it is a safe and effective broadleaf herbicide for use on centipede. that said, 2,4-d manufacturers clearly warn not to apply when temps are above 90, below 50 or during the spring green-up. i think they it is also recommended to limit the applications to 2 per yr. i have used it many times on my centipede yard. one time i did not heed the warning regarding the upper temp cutoff limit and i had some yellowing in the grass. it disappeared within a week or so.
you mentioned atrizine and i have used it also with excellent results. however, be warned, the label directions give warnings similar to 2, 4-d for application on centipede. i can tell you that three years ago i pretty much wiped out my front yard bc i did not follow the labeling.
make sure what ever you buy for centipede is specifically labeled for use on centipede. st augustine is very similar to centipede in its sensitivity, maybe more so. especially the floratam variety of st augustine.
i do agree with Roy that you are out of the normal range for centipede.
go to lawngrasses.com for some maps and ideas for suitable turf for your area.