PDA

View Full Version : Blue Smoke On Cold Start

GravelyGuy
09-07-2007, 12:24 AM
I have a 26 HP Kawi Liquid Cooled with less than 150 hours. With the first couple of starts in the morning a large puff of blue smoke comes out the exaust. I don't think it has always done this or atleast not this bad.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks...

ed2hess
09-07-2007, 09:27 PM
I'll bump this along....I wonder if that could be a gas leak into the cyclinder or oil leak. I got two 15hp Kohler units that is leaking past the carb and on start they put out a white cloud.

GravelyGuy
09-07-2007, 09:37 PM
I accidentally posted this thread in this forum, you can check out some of the responses in the commercial forum if you want to.

I would think that white smoke would be coolant.

Eric D
09-07-2007, 10:12 PM
I have a 26 HP Kawi Liquid Cooled with less than 150 hours. With the first couple of starts in the morning a large puff of blue smoke comes out the exaust. I don't think it has always done this or atleast not this bad.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks...
GravelyGuy,

Just a few thoughts, is there a chance the oil level is to high? Fuel smell in the oil? Might want to check to be sure the engine breather is clear. The only other thing I can think of are the valve stem seals might be bad, or not pushed all the way down on the valve guide.

Puffing blue smoke is not normal.

Regards,

Eric D

Grass Kickin
09-09-2007, 12:26 PM
I think I remember hearing that occasionally blue smoke with a Kawi at the cold start is the result of unused fuel in the engine. As long as it goes away. I think you will be fine.