PDA

View Full Version : S-6 Harley rake

Sunscaper
09-07-2007, 08:08 PM
I recently purchased a used S-6 Harley. It has started to leak oil on the roller drum by the drive side. Has anybody ever replaced the chaincase fluid with grease before, or do I have to replace the seals entirely? Thanks!

GreenMonster
09-07-2007, 08:44 PM
I recently purchased a used S-6 Harley. It has started to leak oil on the roller drum by the drive side. Has anybody ever replaced the chaincase fluid with grease before, or do I have to replace the seals entirely? Thanks!

That chaincase seal is VERY touchy. If you bump the chaincase side of the unit, it is very easy for the seal to tear, or pull away. We've done it three times now in a few years.

If it's leaking, I think you'll need to change the seals. Pull the cover and see how they look.

Sunscaper
09-07-2007, 09:35 PM
GreenMonster,
Thanks for the reply. Can you change the seals without removing the drum? I am curious if this is a job i can do or I need to take it to a garage. Problem with having the thing here is that no one has or sells them so I'm pretty much on my own. Thanks.

SiteSolutions
09-08-2007, 01:07 AM
Without looking at it, I think you maybe just damaged (or maybe just displaced it) the rubber gasket that goes around the cover. Maybe you can replace that or just re-seat it and fix the problem.

The local rental house packs their rakes with grease instead of oil... if a renter damages the case, at least they don't lose lubrication to the chain.