PDA

View Full Version : upgradeble fan for large frame bobcats

bobcatboy
09-07-2007, 08:29 PM
I run a fecon head on my s250 and I have been having problems with overheating and my dealer faxed me a memo about the fan upgrade.
the new fan asymbly has a 6-blade fan instead of a squirlcage blower. you have to remove old fan asymbly and cut larger hole in frame were the radiator mounts
and retro-fit a few things. just wondering has anybody done this or heard of this modification.

ksss
09-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Just out of Curiousity what is overheating? Is it the water or is it the hyd. fluid? I am curious if the machine is being overworked.

Digdeep
09-08-2007, 10:29 AM
I used to sell Bobcat's and this was always a problem with brush cutting. I just neverreally thought that they had enough cooling capability in this type of application given all of the dust, debris, and load that a brush cutter puts on the hydraulic system and engine. I think that the entire hydraulic system has less than 17-18 gallons of hydraulic fluid in it if I'm not mistaken. That includes the cylinders, hyd. lines, and resevoir. All that oil needs to run the hydrostat (drive motors), loader arms, and the attachment. I also think that there isn't enough airflow because the oil cooler and radiator are stacked, along with a small 3.3L engine trying to run 37gpm, add a belt driven pump into the mix and I think the T250 has significant limitations in such a demanding application. The fan upgrade seems to be new, and maybe will fix the problem. I would also make sure that the belts are tight. If this is your primary application you might want to look at a machine much better suited for the hydraulic and engine cooling demands. Good luck.

Tigerotor77W
09-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Digdeep -- out of curiosity, what are your thoughts regarding Bobcat's "exclusive dual-path cooling system?" Is it really superior (for standard applications -- not for heavy cooling-requirement apps) to the radiator designs found on other makes?

I ask because Bobcat seemed to play that card a lot -- even having a brochure describing how its cooling system could do more work (i.e. cool the engine better) than larger radiator systems with more fluid.

Digdeep
09-08-2007, 02:01 PM
I always thaought it was just some marketing spin to be honest. My real thought was that it was done that way based on the transverse mounted engine and it was the easiest way to pull air through the cooler and radiator. I do like the idea of the variable speed fan in the K-series though. Although the machine sounds like a screaming banshee when the fan kicks into high..way too loud. I also thought the dual path cooling created alot of dust when a customer was working near walls or buildings. I'm a fan of side by side oil coolers and radiators. It keeps the debris from building up between them and I feel allows more air flow, especially when debris is flying like in bobcatboy's case with a brush cutter. Of course I'm not an engineer, I just sold them, and only use them now (not enough now that school has started again).

bobcatboy
09-08-2007, 09:10 PM
the hydraulic fan does help but the blower becomes inefficient at higher speeds. He said that this is a new setup that they developed when they started marketing there brush cutter.So he faxed me the instructions diagrams and all the steps for doing the retro. I don't seem to have any problems when the temperature stays in the lower 90's, but when it gets hot out you can tell the machine starts slowing down and the hydraulic temps start going up. the fan and all the necesary hardware are $956.

Digdeep
09-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Why are they charging you? The T250 you bought came with high-flow didn't it? Did they sell you the Fecon? If so, why would they make you pay for it? That is what always kills me.

bobcatboy
09-08-2007, 09:58 PM
they didnt sell me the cutter, that came from vermeer. Do you guys think that they hold some responsebility in this issue. I thought that it being highflow it should have everything heavy on it already, but give me some feed back so I know how to aproach this

SiteSolutions
09-09-2007, 09:12 AM
I also thought the dual path cooling created alot of dust when a customer was working near walls or buildings.

I've used mine to fan flames on a burn pile on a couple different jobs. Real handy for that.

I like Bobcats just fine for loaders. For heavy brush cutting and grinding/mulching, I would definitely look for a purpose built machine, like a GyroTrac or Supertrak... they are engineered from day one to handle the extreme duty cycle of this application.

ksss
09-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Some machines are speced for a rigorous duty cycle and others are not. Typically in order to get the most heavy duty of options you have to spec the largest machine in a particular lineup (talking skid steers). The large skid steers are more purpose built to handle such loads. The CASE 445 and 465 while on the spec sheet are relatively close. Ten hp and about 500 pounds of ROC. The 465 and the 95XT before that were designed to run up to a 5000 psi high flow system utilizing large asphalt planers the size no one had ever dreamed of putting on a skid steer prior to the release of these machines. However if you purchased a 445 thinking that you could expect similiar performance and longevity you would be dissappointed. There is much more difference between the machines than what you would read on a spec sheet and even on a short demo. The differences become much more apparent over the long haul and operating in difficult conditions. If the sales guy that sold you that machine knew what you wanted to do with it he should be paying for the fan kit. You should have been put in a larger machine. If the BC salesman was not aware of the purpose of the machine than the buyer should be responsible for the update. Sometimes salesman don't sell you the right machine only the machine that they have available to sell.

Fieldman12
09-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Ksss, your correct about some salesman just want to sell you what they have. I remember when I was looking for my new 3/4 ton 4x4 duramax the guy was trying to sell me a 1/2 ton gas twd truck to pull my skid around because he had nothing else. He was like I think that it will pull a skid steer fine. These gas half ton trucks are really powerful. Sorry but you could not give me one I told him.

bobcatboy
09-09-2007, 10:52 PM
You see that's what I was thinking. The thing that p----d me of was the fact that I specificaly asked him did bobcat solve there running hot problem with smartfan and he am going to call him and have a talk with him in the morning.