PDA

View Full Version : Just wonder

cat2
09-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Hi. just wonder what every one thinks about Gehl skid steers. How do they hold up? Any major problems? What about price? How is there trade in value?

ksss
09-07-2007, 11:28 PM
They seem to be durable machines at least the few that are in this area. I don't think they have the level of fit and finish that others have. The machines that I have run are not very ergonomic. I found them to be loud and basically a more "crude" of a machine than I am used to. Their resale is poor. Watching the machines go through live and Internet auctions they don't hold their value as well as others. That said there are guys that run nothing but Gehl, so it is a to each his own type of deal. I think mechanically they seem to be competent. Rock Set just bought a new loaded up Gehl I am sure he will add his thoughts.

turboawd
09-08-2007, 01:21 AM
depends which model.
the 7810 is an ass kicker. the track loaders are real powerful too.
which model are you looking at?

Scag48
09-08-2007, 01:30 AM
I have quite a few hours in a Gehl 5640 Turbo. The machine has dual hand controls, don't know the technical term for them, but they aren't pilot controls, I think I've heard them called T bar controls or something like that. Anyway, not to difficult to operate, except for all that twisting and pushing your arms back and forth gets you fairly worn out after about 6 or 7 hours of that. I had no problems going 8-10 hours in a Cat skid/MTL with pilots. The seat in the Gehl sucked, not sure if there is an option for a suspension seat or not but the one thats in the machine I run is horrible, no shock absorbtion whatsoever.

Other than that, machine has plenty of power, will lift a ton of weight, has a low center of gravity and pretty much gets with it pretty good. Ground clearance is average, I managed to hang it up twice on Wednesday to the point where I had to use the mini to pull it out. I was working some dry, soft material and it would sink a little and wham, I'd be stuck.

RockSet N' Grade
09-08-2007, 05:06 PM
I just bought a 5640 turbo....cab, heat/air, stereo, counter weight, remote video camera for backing up......all the bells and whistles. They are a wheeled machine, I went out and bought some VTS tracks and stuck them on.......now, I like it. I pushed out and graded 80-100 yards of dirt this morning in about an 1 1/2 hours this morning. It has plenty of push, power and lifting capacity for what I am doing. We hauled 3 foot plus boulders the other day all day long back to the track hoe to set a long boulder wall. Worked fine. I am not a big guy, so the seat fits my little butt just fine. Cab space could be a bit more refined. Purchase price was about 10K less than a Case. What I don't like: exposed bucket cylinders ( 4" rocks can get stuck between cylinder and bucket and marr the rod), visability to the sides and rear is fair, air conditioner is average (not the major chill factor I would like), inspite of cab being closed dust still gets in, cab door swings open instead of up and over....so the bucket has to be down on the ground to open the door, no drink holder or pockets on the inside for stuff........Ask me for an update a year from now when I have some more hours on it and I will let you know how I feel then.

RockSet N' Grade
09-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Oh yea, Scag........they make a suspension seat. That may be why you got a little beat up. The more I ponder.......I am really liking the cab advantages of the new C series Kitty Cat. If I was to do it again, I would consider the new Kitty wheeled machine because of the new cab design and increased visability.

Construct'O
09-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Oh yea, Scag........they make a suspension seat. That may be why you got a little beat up. The more I ponder.......I am really liking the cab advantages of the new C series Kitty Cat. If I was to do it again, I would consider the new Kitty wheeled machine because of the new cab design and increased visability.

RockSet,there's still time.Run down to your friendly Cat dealer sign you name and it's a done deal.Its only money:cry:

Let's say if you did do that? Will your track system interchange to the cat machine? Would you have to have different adaptor or something?

The other thing you would be able to let us know how the trade value was between the two machine was that way also.:confused:

The Cat cab is awsome i do have to say.

It does sound like your machine now is doing a pretty good job as of now .Don't ponder to much or your will be in the same boat as GR.High stress factor will set in:nono: Just kidding .Take care.:usflag:

qps
09-08-2007, 07:42 PM

I really like my 297C CAT.....but if you don't have the self leveling bucket turned on and you drop large clods on the step in front of the door...guess what...you can't open it...or should I say I didn't want to force it...the door looks to be expensive, they did design it so you can turn a few knobs on the inside and it pops off the hinges....some engineer must have got stuck in it....:laugh: power is good, a/c will freeze your gonads off, pilot controls work great...sucks some serious fuel...rides like a dream...still waiting on direct tv to be hooked up...the darn satilite dish keeps getting knocked off on low branches.....I'm also checking into having a hot tub installed.....

RockSet N' Grade
09-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Constructo........I am ok with skiderooo. Not second guessing. It's done......it moves dirt. As far as stress goes, I watch alot of Blue Collar Comedy Tour episodes, enjoy working in my tomato garden, play with my horses, chase the 'ole wifey-poo around and don't think too much.......let it all go!! Enjoy the sunrise and beautiful sunsets....I am just happy to be here.
QPS.....all you have to do for the hot tub is fill the pressurized cab with hot water and turn on the heater and pretend they are jets........instant jacuzzi!
Destructo...oops, Constructo.......if I traded in my skid for a Kitty Cat right now, you would know the economy was red hot here and money/work was not an issue........hence, I will live with what I got. The economic brakes are being slammed on hard here right now and wallets are being zipped shut. It is requiring me to hone my sales skills which is a wonderful challenge.

Construct'O
09-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Constructo........I am ok with skiderooo. Not second guessing. It's done......it moves dirt. As far as stress goes, I watch alot of Blue Collar Comedy Tour episodes, enjoy working in my tomato garden, play with my horses, chase the 'ole wifey-poo around and don't think too much.......let it all go!! Enjoy the sunrise and beautiful sunsets....I am just happy to be here.
QPS.....all you have to do for the hot tub is fill the pressurized cab with hot water and turn on the heater and pretend they are jets........instant jacuzzi!
Destructo...oops, Constructo.......if I traded in my skid for a Kitty Cat right now, you would know the economy was red hot here and money/work was not an issue........hence, I will live with what I got. The economic brakes are being slammed on hard here right now and wallets are being zipped shut. It is requiring me to hone my sales skills which is a wonderful challenge.

Destructo... if i was into demo's that would work for me!:cool2:

It just money!!!!!!!

OOOOOOOOOOOOO by the way where's the PICS ! of the machine and your boulder wall you worked on. Your D" MAN:drinkup:

cat2
09-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks alot everyone for your advice:) Sounds like Gehl is good. Like to talk to someone with lots of hours on one. Gehl has good power it sounds like. My bobcat is so so. How would a 4640 E turbo compare to my bobcat s-160:confused:

RockSet N' Grade
09-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Both those two machines spec just about the same. My question would be why is the BobCat "so-so"? Not enough lift, push power, visability, things like that would help clarify. If its just the color, I'll send you some paint :)

cat2
09-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Would the gehl have anymore power? Bobcat could use more power. The horsepower seems to be close, but I think gehl would have more, don't you? I don't like all the wires and computers and crap like that on the bobcat. I rather have the radius lift. Gehl has more reach then my bobcat. I would have to have the foot controls I can't get use to the hand or the joystick.:dizzy: Is Gehl as reliable as bobcat? The travel speed is faster on the gehl I think. I would get the single speed. I see the gehl has a shorter wheel base. How is that going to effect my ride and how stable is it going to be? How is gehl to work on, can you get to everything pretty easy.

cat2
09-09-2007, 11:51 AM
When I say power I mean just overall. Bobcat has good pushing power.

RockSet N' Grade
09-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Haven't run a BobCat side by side with Gehl.......can't say who has got more poosh. Wires and computers? Shoot, you must be near my age 'cause I can remember looking under a hood and just seeing a motor, nuts and bolts and a few wires........welcome to 2007, it's all computers and wires. Reliability, to me, is a function of dealer support, how the machine is used/abused, maintenance and overall common sense. Both BoobCat and Gehl are brand names. I don't think the shorter wheel base is an issue.........how is the ride in a skid with tires? Bumpy......period - no matter which color/brand you get. I had the cab flipped open this morning, rear panels opened and working on it was not a big deal........your everyday stuff is pretty user friendly located. My advise would be sit in each and every machine.......see how it fits you. Look out the front and sides and see if you can see the tip of the cutting edge/bucket on each side with unobstructed visability........Do the same with side view, and rear view and factor that in to your equation. As far as size and power go........that is all job and purpose dependant........from what you are saying, you may just need a bigger machine inspite of the color. I got rid of the wheels on mine and put on Loegering VTS tracks because I am an old fart and the ride is alot smoother with a tracked system. The tracks also seem to give me more tractive effort and a more stable platform. If the bottom line was to be known, I put the tracks on simply because I want to be as comfortable as possible 'cause this body of mine just doesn't bounce back like when I was 20 something.....it was all a comfort thing for me. What I do NOT like about Gehl is the front bucket cylinder placement.......I prefer KittyCat or Case. Would I buy a BobCat? NOPE.......lousy dealer support here. Would I buy a Case? Yep, but dealer support in my neighborhood lacks something fierce. Would I buy CAT? Yep, but I didn't want to part with more money.......so, I settled on Gehl. How is that for long winded?