PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Teen Injured by Lawnmower

Sweet Tater
09-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Tampa Teen Injured by Lawnmower

WTSP Report

TAMPA, FL (AP) -- A Tampa teen is in serious condition after nearly severing his leg in a mower accident.

Fire rescue officials say 16-year-old Felipe Diaz stepped off the mower while it was running and in gear when the mower ran over him. He was working for a lawn maintenance company.

He was treated at the scene and then flown to the hospital. But his injuries are not life threatening.

Everyone be careful and think. Thats sad

Americal Vet
09-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Yikes that had to hurt. Wonder had they bypassed the OPS.:dizzy:

Daddy Joes Lawn Service
09-08-2007, 08:13 AM
No wounder why insurance is so high!!:hammerhead:

topsites
09-08-2007, 11:49 AM
I am a firm believer that operators of commercial equipment should be at least 18 years of age, whether it's the law in your state or not, several parts of this accident just sound like it was waiting to happen, terrible thing.

Ops or not, an ops does not and can not shut a machine down but so fast. At first it seems to shut it down instantly, but when it's running WOT it takes at least 1-2 seconds to actually stop completely and that's on a new one, worn or older machines take even longer to shut down once the ops kicks in, sure is time enough to let go and run over yourself in just the wrong nick of time... Nevermind if the ops button sticks, you can't count on that to save you, it's there and hopefully it helps but please be careful first.

In this case the ops might've kicked on but the machine was still moving as it screeched to a stop, maybe it still saved this kid say he got nicked instead of mauled... Always visually ensure all moving parts have come to a complete stop before leaving the operator's position, now you can see it's not instant, it can take several seconds and more of waiting before it all stops, but don't step out from behind it before it does.

That's just what I learned, some of it the hard way, dang youngsters always in so much of a dang hurry :laugh:

Grass Happens
09-09-2007, 12:45 AM
It is sad that a boy will be scared for something as trivial as lawn mowing. 10 minutes of proper training by the boss, and this post wouldn't't exist.

SLR
09-09-2007, 03:29 AM
What on Earth would someone get off a spinning mower system,while cutting their grass????????????????????????????Immigrant or not,thats just a brain farted move IMO!

green-pa
09-09-2007, 04:20 AM
This may seem like a far off question, considering, what's been said in this post, but has anyone heard if they were able to attatch the boy's legg back?

lawnman_scott
09-09-2007, 11:43 AM
This may seem like a far off question, considering, what's been said in this post, but has anyone heard if they were able to attatch the boy's legg back?It was nearly severed, not severed. His injuries were not life threatening, so I guess everything turned out ok.

Daddy Joes Lawn Service
09-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Poor guy mabe he will learn how to read!! Don't get off lawnmower when running!

YardPro
09-09-2007, 04:05 PM
did not read much after the thread went to the immigrant issue, so i don't know if this has been addressed:

there are three major issues with this post.
1. this is one reason not to hire someone under 18 to run equipment. In NC ( and i think locally) it is illegal for anyone under 18 to work with mowers.

2. this is all the more reason to be very well insured. The guy that owned the company thought something like this would never happen to him, as we all do.
This will turn out to be a very expensive problem for the owner of the company. If he was a DBA, it could financially ruin him for life...

3. this is why there are safety devices on our equipment... leave them there, and make sure they work, or we could be reading about your company one day

Stillwater
09-09-2007, 04:17 PM
many years ago I bypassed the ops on a 48" john deere walk behind, the relay that disenguages the blade clutch, I stopped walked around to take the bagger off and when I stood up straight holding the bagger I felt the blades nicking the tops of my sneakers I swear I almost soiled myself right then right their. I am 1 lucky guy not having my foot cut clean off and chopped to bits before my eyes. I always think about that afternoon....

prizeprop
09-09-2007, 06:20 PM
many years ago I bypassed the ops on a 48" john deere walk behind, the relay that disenguages the blade clutch, I stopped walked around to take the bagger off and when I stood up straight holding the bagger I felt the blades nicking the tops of my sneakers I swear I almost soiled myself right then right their. I am 1 lucky guy not having my foot cut clean off and chopped to bits before my eyes. I always think about that afternoon....
IVE SEEN SOME DOPES IN MY DAY, BUT THIS TAKES THE CAKE.

Sweet Tater
09-09-2007, 07:51 PM
First Thanks Mod for cleaning this post back to a conversation.
Second being the initial poster of this, I keep looking at the online news firstcoastnews.com To see if the will update it. Nothing yet that I've seen

txgrassguy
09-09-2007, 08:22 PM
This is more of an act of poor training and the lad not understanding how dangerous mowing equipment really is.
I was reminded by this incidence of a similar situation at a southern golf course I worked at many years ago - it seems a new hire, with less than two minutes of training, managed to cut of the ends of almost all of his fingers on both hands.
It seems the other superintendent wanted some really tall turf around the clubhouse mown down. Well, this being so difficult, instead of using a side discharge machine first then following it up with a vacuum or bagging mower, the superintendent told this new hire to bag it all, all at once. The poor kid was struggling along so one of the crew comes by and suggests to the lad to wire the op lever to the push bar - so out comes some irrigation wire and bingo, op level bypassed.
As one can already tell the bagger kept clogging so another crew member comes by and suggests banging the front and rear wheels on the turf to dislodge the debris in the chute. So now there is chopped to hell turf with scalp marks from the kid banging the mower up and down. All while the op level was bailed shut. Naturally the mower keeps clogging so yet another crew member comes by and says you got to clear the clog by hand - so this unfortunate lad sticks his hands under the mower, while it is running and there goes his finger tips.
I come back to work three days later to find out this accident happened while I was gone. The superintendent says to the director of maintenance "???" about how the accident occurred. So I start asking around and find out what is going on as the kid can't be questioned as he is still sedated in ICU.
So I inform the other super what I found out, he does nothing as I recommended termination of the three "helpful" employees so I go to the dom with the same recommendation. In turn I am told to keep my mouth shut but when OSHA comes a knockin' I tell them what I found out while producing the blood stained wire as proof. To end this story, the super gets promoted, I get two days off without pay, the kid gets fired as soon as he is discharged from the hospital and this, boys and girls, is why I don't work for maintenance companies any more.
As a side note, once I started my own business I made damn sure all of the safties work on my equipment. Four ex-employees found out what happens when op switches are by-passed, instant on the spot termination - and walk home. Thank god I got there in time to avoid a similar unfortunate incident.

KTO Enterprises
09-10-2007, 09:42 PM
I swear I almost soiled myself right then right their. I am 1 lucky guy not having my foot cut clean off and chopped to bits before my eyes. I always think about that afternoon....

There goes the dam sweet tea in the keyboard and on the screen.

I dont mean to laugh, its a really serious matter, but you always seem to cheer me up eshskis.

I have the ops bypassed on my mowers, although I will not get off with the blades on. Its merely because I want to save a few seconds if I need to get off really fast without having to set the parking brake. (no hills here) I know its bad but I am a one man show. If i had employees it would be re-enabled.

I love and hate that my new tractor has the ops, If i have to bail because of yellow jackets, the tractor will shut down so they will leave it alone. But on the other hand I have to keep my arse in the seat for hours at a time. No more standing to stretch out while riding in fields. Also helps ease that spot round the back that gets chapped. All in all the ops is a good thing.

kpetzold
09-11-2007, 01:22 AM
sorry for the boy and hope he makes it thru ok , but it is illegal to hire illegal's.

Stillwater
09-11-2007, 03:11 AM
There goes the dam sweet tea in the keyboard and on the screen.

I dont mean to laugh, its a really serious matter, but you always seem to cheer me up eshskis.

I have the ops bypassed on my mowers, although I will not get off with the blades on. Its merely because I want to save a few seconds if I need to get off really fast without having to set the parking brake. (no hills here) I know its bad but I am a one man show. If i had employees it would be re-enabled.

I love and hate that my new tractor has the ops, If i have to bail because of yellow jackets, the tractor will shut down so they will leave it alone. But on the other hand I have to keep my arse in the seat for hours at a time. No more standing to stretch out while riding in fields. Also helps ease that spot round the back that gets chapped. All in all the ops is a good thing.

Wow you mentioned yellow jackets OMG about 3 weeks ago I was removing old mulch from a bed on top of a retaining wall with a flat shovel and hit a massive subterranean yellow jacket nest and all I saw was this HUGE yellow cloud moving towards me at warp 2, I dropped the shovel and ran they caught up with me and I got stung about 10 or so times. I am now just sitting their wondering what to do about it when I felt a buzzing on my chest I pulled my tshirt away from my chest and a bee flew up grazing all the way up my neck and face and got stung right on my eye lid. I was.... wow... ok ...thats it.... I packed up and went home drove myself with 1 eye all the way ended up taking the next day and 1/2 off. those dam things are dangerous in large numbers.

KTO Enterprises
09-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Wow you mentioned yellow jackets OMG about 3 weeks ago I was removing old mulch from a bed on top of a retaining wall with a flat shovel and hit a massive subterranean yellow jacket nest and all I saw was this HUGE yellow cloud moving towards me at warp 2, I dropped the shovel and ran they caught up with me and I got stung about 10 or so times. I am now just sitting their wondering what to do about it when I felt a buzzing on my chest I pulled my tshirt away from my chest and a bee flew up grazing all the way up my neck and face and got stung right on my eye lid. I was.... wow... ok ...thats it.... I packed up and went home drove myself with 1 eye all the way ended up taking the next day and 1/2 off. those dam things are dangerous in large numbers.

I got 17 stings from one nest in early August. I tend to get 3 bad attacks a year.

once a week is usually a grazing sting of a mad one in the area

I almost soiled myself reading about you almost soiling yourself.

Stillwater
09-11-2007, 09:12 PM
I got 17 stings from one nest in early August. I tend to get 3 bad attacks a year.

once a week is usually a grazing sting of a mad one in the area

I almost soiled myself reading about you almost soiling yourself.

well I am glad I keep a smile on your face

SangerLawn
09-11-2007, 09:52 PM

lmao... i am so sorry eshskis but i have to say, if you would have hired someone from hispanic descent this would have happend to him instead of you.......

lmao i am so sorry to post that but after our last conversation i couldnt help it...lmao, i just had the worse coughing fit i ever had due to laughter...

i do feel for you though!!!! i fell into a fire ant pile a few years back. i slide down a embankment filled with them.... i hope your ok

Stillwater
09-12-2007, 09:00 AM
lmao... i am so sorry eshskis but i have to say, if you would have hired someone from hispanic descent this would have happend to him instead of you.......

lmao i am so sorry to post that but after our last conversation i couldnt help it...lmao, i just had the worse coughing fit i ever had due to laughter...

i do feel for you though!!!! i fell into a fire ant pile a few years back. i slide down a embankment filled with them.... i hope your ok

thats funny stuff

Patriot Services
09-12-2007, 09:48 PM
I have a friend that is a nurse at Tampa General Hospital. They were able to save the leg for the time being. He can still lose it at any time if the circulation stops or infection sets in. The boy is looking at a several more orthopedic surgeries and several plastics. He will never walk right again. The story I got was he set the brake, stepped off with blades still engaged (safety obviously bypassed) the brake released ( probably out of adjustment or broken) and ran him over pinning him against an object ( possibly a wall ) Whoever disabled those safety's should be held liable. I am sure this poor kid did not know any better. As owners we are responsible for the equipment and ensuring our people use it right. Another fully preventable tragedy that costs us all. Be safe guys! We only get one body and no do-overs!:usflag: :usflag: :usflag: