PDA

View Full Version : I Need Some Experience Advise From Lawn Mowing Pros...

armyworm
09-07-2007, 11:39 PM
I live in a developing suburb, I service regular lawns, but recently want to try to get some commercial accounts. I've seen opportunities but when I want to solit, some one is already at the property servicing it. How do I get the word out and be the first to these newly developing companies or property owners and what should I expect? Thanks for looking.

lawnpro724
09-08-2007, 12:19 AM
If its new construction, sometimes you can speak with the contractor who is working on the building and ask who to contact for the business. Direct mail is another way to gain commercial accounts and has worked well for me. Just send out an info packet about your business (flyer, business card, intro letter ) every quarter to the businesses you would like to have and eventually they will call you.

Brianslawn
09-08-2007, 02:35 AM
the mowing landscaping is usually already contracted before ground is ever broke. if youre a "real" big time biz then they will call you. until then... go back to community college and take some marketing/advertising courses.

topsites
09-08-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm in my 6th year and have stuck to strictly residential, I did try a SMALL commercial account once and learned what a fool I was.

the mowing landscaping is usually already contracted before ground is ever broke. if youre a "real" big time biz then they will call you. until then... go back to community college and take some marketing/advertising courses.

awww that's just terrible... But, he's right :laugh:

You really need a large Lco with several trucks and trailers and an office with a secretary and all of that to tackle commercial properties, not to mention at least 4 years behind you or they'll whoop you like 100-mph winds do to a sapling. If you ever think residential customers can be ruthless, they're actually sweetie pies compared to commercial accounts, it's not something I'll be doing much more of anytime soon, that stuff will throw your d!^% in the dirt.

You might can try some lone out of the way small owner-operator businesses, such as where the man owns the land (no associations or corporations) but much like Brian said I like to let it come to me, just have to wait until that day they call.

supercuts
09-08-2007, 07:55 PM
you need to go in to places and ask if they need help and or ask when they take bids for the upcoming year. sooner or later you'll get some. dont mean to rag on you, but if you go into a business and present yourself in the same manner in which you type, you'll never get work. if you are making mailers make sure your proof read and spell check them. not saying im perfect, but some were very simple errors

armyworm
09-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Sorry guys I should of been more clear as to what type of commercial I want to try and get.Something like a newly built Mc Donalds or apartment complex...I'm not trying to go for the big corporations

mike33087
09-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Sorry guys I should of been more clear as to what type of commercial I want to try and get.Something like a newly built Mc Donalds or apartment complex...I'm not trying to go for the big corporations

pretty sure that Mickey D's is a BIG corporation, last time i checked

stevenf
09-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Dont know much about it, But I do know that places like McDonalds dont have people cutting induvidual stores. They usually have one company that is under a yealy contract and they take care of all the stores in that district(somtimes even further).
This next season (my second year) I will be going after very small businesses and Im going to start advertiseing as residential and commercial.
Just by talking to people, I already have a seafood shop lined up. Its only $100.00 a month(very small) but Its a start.

curx20
04-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Terrible advice topsites sounds like you are lazy! Wait till they call you? No ambition!

NPMinc
04-05-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm in my 6th year and have stuck to strictly residential, I did try a SMALL commercial account once and learned what a fool I was.

awww that's just terrible... But, he's right :laugh:

You really need a large Lco with several trucks and trailers and an office with a secretary and all of that to tackle commercial properties, not to mention at least 4 years behind you or they'll whoop you like 100-mph winds do to a sapling. If you ever think residential customers can be ruthless, they're actually sweetie pies compared to commercial accounts, it's not something I'll be doing much more of anytime soon, that stuff will throw your d!^% in the dirt.

You might can try some lone out of the way small owner-operator businesses, such as where the man owns the land (no associations or corporations) but much like Brian said I like to let it come to me, just have to wait until that day they call.

Where do you get this from? I was servicing several commercial locations when I was 18 years old and fresh outta high school working on my own. (I did 4 fast food joints, several banks, a small apartment complex etc). To be honest they were actually less picky and demanding then many of my residential customers---basically as long as the grass was cut regularly and I didnt leave a mess I heard nothing out of them, just submitted my monthly bill and got paid, often cash right out of the register. Mind you I was licensed and insured and a legit business, not a fly by night operation.
To the OP, just stop in ask for a manager etc, ask when and how they take bids for the landscape. Thank them for their time and leave a card, and submit the bids at the appropriate time. repeat at the next location.

SLMGT
04-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Ditto to NPMinc. You have to ask for business to get business. Obtaining clients is like most things in life. Once you get the ball rolling, momentum takes over. Success breeds success.:weightlifter:

MMADDUX
04-05-2011, 09:34 PM
BTW this is an old thread.
Topsites is not here any more.
Just thought id let you know he is gone or at least is not posting any more.