PDA

View Full Version : Stress how do you guys deal with it

Gravel Rat
09-08-2007, 03:56 AM
I think I'am having some stress related problems and its driving me nuts. It is starting with jaw pain. I had some dental work done 3 months ago and it doesn't seem to be healing because I'am clenching my teeth. Not getting full night sleep and feel tired.

The first problem is I can't get sick we only have 2 people as trained staff that work as spares. One of them is retiring this year the other spare isn't available all the time. Nobody wants to work part time so we can't find anybody to work. I can't even ask for a extra day off I won't get it I probably won't even get hollidays this year. On my days of work I have to get to work if I don't show up its a mad scramble to find a replacement.

The 2nd problem the public is driving me nuts with non stop complaining how we are operating the company. I'am getting so tired of cranky people and people that don't obey directions. Tell them to do one thing they do the oposite. Nobody reads signs like things No Access or no entry they just walk around the sign :angry:

The 3rd problem management is pushing us and we get questioned on everything.

I haven't started to loose my hair yet but on my days off I'am so wiped I don't do anything. The job isn't physically demanding it is mentallly demanding.

I was doing some site hauling for a local business I have been helping to install a recreational park the other day before I go to my other job. You know it releived some stress driving that old gravel truck. I got about 280 tons of material moved in about 5 hours.

I don't know how long I'am going to last with the gov't job. People say its a good job. Walk in my shoes and see what its like. The new person that we got hired can't beleive the stupid stuff that people do. People seem to be getting more brain dead.

The job is full time which is the only thing going for it I would rather be working in the dirt or driving truck but there isn't full time work in that now. Could have stuck it out with the contractor I worked for but I got tired of the slave driving. I got the work done by 2 people put on me.

Right now I'am the point of snapping and getting cranky. Its the constant complaints that people have and I can't do anything about it, its out of my hands I'am just a employee.

When I started with the gov't 5 years ago the job was fun now there is no fun you don't look forward to go to work. You count the days to days off.

Well I got to go to bed I may get 6 hours of sleep tonight :laugh:

44DCNF
09-08-2007, 05:54 AM
Ask your dentist about an NTI/TSS bite guard for the clenching. READ HERE (http://www.kellerlab.com/prod_nti.shtml). They have a very informative site with some video interviews and a podcast that are well worth viewing. My dentist tried for a couple years to get me to see I needed one and I kept putting it off. I was not having much TMJ pain yet but constant headaches and dental issues. I finally got one this spring. You will feel much better in the mornings and dealing with the stress will become easier. It will allow you to get more restful sleep without applying so much pressure at your jaws, and allow you neck and jaw muscles, which even wrap around your skull, to stay in a more relaxed state when you do clench, resulting in less headaches and neck pain. As I say, I got one fitted spring of this year and the headaches dropped drastically. Mornings were no longer like I had been out drinking the night before or got hit by a truck. Neck/shoulder pain and nerve problems in my neck and arms as a result of the all night tension my muscles were under from clenching/grinding are gone unless I forget to put it in at night. I was blaming the headaches on food allergies and actually they were a result of them but largely due to the clenching they cause. The arm and neck nerve problems - I blamed on running the walkbehind and trimmer/edger. I am much better able to use the equipment without it causing problems now. I am only up right now because I forgot to wear it tonight and woke up with neck pain (waiting for an aspirin to kick in). There are other issues that can result from bruxism, that may make more dental work necessary, so I feel you should check into it. Abfraction is where the enamel gets chipped off of the base of your teeth at the gumline due to the bruxism. That can cause sensitivity. Your bite can also be changed over time and require adjustments by grinding high spots down, to help realign things. Teeth can be chipped and cracked, jaw pain, and tinnitus are other possible problems.

I wont pretend to have the answers to the other problems you mention with the bushiness and customers. That stuff will likely always be there to some degree. Once you are able to get a good night's rest though, and reduce the clenching, I think you will be amazed at how much easier those stresses are to handle.
Good Luck with it all.

Gravel Rat
09-08-2007, 01:25 PM
I'am not that far that I get neck and shoulder pain or headaches. I have been trying to go to bed relaxed and not drink any caffiene or eat anything. I also read sleeping with your tounge between your teeth works.

The dentist said I should have a mouth guard but when he said how much it costs :eek:

I'am also a dental gagger I had to be knocked out to fix my back teeth. My dental bill was 1300 dollars man dentists are expensive lucky my dental benefits paid for that. But I pretty well burned up my dental benefits for 2 years.

The biggest stress for me is people nattering at you all the time some days I want to say to these people bugger off. The guy I replaced said he couldn't take the people complaining all the time he had stress related problems too.

Sunscaper
09-08-2007, 05:15 PM
I started having the same problem last week. I am starting to build a new house and closed on the land so I feel you. I also had a swelling in my throat. It's a mild anxiety attack. Relax, breathe, and booze. That's this doctors prescription.

RockSet N' Grade
09-08-2007, 05:25 PM
We all have stress. One of the things I do to diminish that beast is humor. I watch comedy on the boob tube, go to a comedy show.......anything to get a good belly laugh goin' on....

mattfromNY
09-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Take a day off, do something you love to do. I just got back from a motocross race, saw lots of old friends, drank some beer. I feel like a million bucks right now.

Fieldman12
09-08-2007, 09:52 PM
I think going to tractor pulls/street diesel pickup pulls is what I enjoy doing in my spare time.

grandview (2006)
09-08-2007, 10:17 PM
You need to hit the Ballet and have a few Blues!:cool2: :drinkup:

tthomass
09-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Relaxing hurts me. I think of the crap I have to go put up with and I want to close the business in my area and move it. I hate northern VA with a passion but its where the money is. Pay my dues a few years and I'm out of here.

What I used to enjoy most was when I was doing Muy Thai and Jujitsu........just take it out on the other guy :)

RockSet N' Grade
09-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Never done Muy Thai....done alot of Mai-Tai, and that always was a stress reliever. GR: another way to reduce stress is to have a plan and goals.........that makes the small stuff remain small stuff.

Scag48
09-09-2007, 01:53 AM
Stress is always there, just a matter of handling it. I agree with having goals to getting somewhere else in life where you'd rather be, that's what keeps me going these days. I hate my restaurant job but it's paying my bills, I know that in 6 months when I'm done with school and I'm running a D8 all the stress and BS that I had to go through to get there was worth it. Until then, I like to get out and drive somewhere. Having a German built car helps, just makes driving fun. I'm a photography buff too, I like to go out and do some photo work when I have time. I do a little hunting this time of year, that seems to be the best for me during the hunting season.

Grasscub
09-09-2007, 03:00 AM
If your working for someone my advice is get the hell out of there if you like moving dirt less hassel go for it life is too short for doing all that grief,your health is your wealth without it youv nothing i do not know what your commitments you have ie. family ,girl ,etc but if your young and single Free move on enjoy life .I was there so i got out now working for my self still plenty of stress at times ever job has a bit, but it important to like your days work at least most of the time but if you wake evermorning hating going to work then it time to try something different i recon.If you have your health youl find a job that will pay then bills and enjoy your time off like the other guys say do somthing you like .I find it might be to get in the truck and drive to the next county take in the beautiful countryside and say it great to be alive and be able to do this

Gravel Rat
09-09-2007, 03:48 AM
I don't drink alcohol or smoke anything:nono:

I probably won't be doing much on my days off unless I get called to drive truck.

Usually after work I sit down at the computer and do nothing for the rest of the night when I'am on night shift.

Nobody is ever happy with the service we provide and we get blamed for everything even if its not our fault we get blamed. Been called your nothing but a useless gov't employee or idiot or a few other names. Haven't had things thrown at me yet but other employees have. Then they think they can get revenge by plugging a toilet or using the floor as a toilet.

I also get tired of telling people over and over not to do things that they are not supposed to do. There is signage up saying its not allowed etc or no entry but they do it anyway. We have a park area with grass for people to sit on and don't allow dogs on it and have signs posted no dogs but some of these people walk right on by let their dog crap on the grass :confused:

I said to one person are you illiterate I guess you don't see the sign no dogs allowed. They just said some smartazz remark and say I didn't see the sign :angry:

I like to do a good job but somedays I just give up and take the attitude who gives a beep.

All adds to the stress because the public complains to the management they ask what is happening. I tell management that the person was doing something etc and I told them not too. Of course the person has stretched the story and added stuff that never happened.

It does feel good to rip a strip off a person I have lost my temper and had a good screaming match. A person can only put up with so much crap.

Been self-employeed too long and worked by myself since I got out of highschool. Even when I worked for other companies I got my list of stuff to do for the day and I did it. I can go all day and not see or talk to anybody it doesn't bother me. When I hauled lumber I loaded heavy beams by myself you learn how to load them without straining youself. Even when I haul junk people ask how did you get that on your truck yourself.

Like to be self-employeed again but I'am going to stick with the job I have now the economy is too unstable to make any bad moves. It may come down to many people un-employeed. I have less stress than a person that has a 2000 a month house payment and lots of other debt.

The gravy train that people have been riding on for the last 5 years is going to spill its load.

RockSet N' Grade
09-09-2007, 07:25 AM
If you're gonna stay where you are.......that's a choice. Then shut up and quit whining. Grow up and deal with it just like every other human being on this planet is. This thread, in one form or another, has been going on for two years and what have you done? Whine and complain........and it is everyone's and everything things fault but yours. Take some personal responsibility! Try, just one time, to quit rationalizing your meager existence........no wonder you have stress.......it is a hard job to continue to stay stuck........Nothing personal GR, but holy cow batman........listen to your body if nothing else.......it is telling you something isn't right, what is it gonna take for you to listen?

SiteSolutions
09-09-2007, 09:04 AM
I haven't started to loose my hair yet but on my days off I'am so wiped I don't do anything. The job isn't physically demanding it is mentallly demanding.

I probably won't be doing much on my days off unless I get called to drive truck.

Usually after work I sit down at the computer and do nothing for the rest of the night when I'am on night shift.

Stress is a natural "fight or flight" reaction of your body to an outside stimulus, things that cause fear or anger (like you obsession with the impending economic disaster or some jerk letting their dog poop in a no-poop zone). When these things happen, your body reacts by shooting adrenaline into your system, which constricts bloodflow to non-essential areas (like your stomach lining, for example) and boosts your blood pressure to enable you to fight or flee. The problem is, in modern life, this physiological change doesn't do much to help you. You don't really need the extra boost to pummel that dumb dogwalker, or run away from the economy. Since you don't physically use up this "boost", it sort of stays in your system. The best way to fight stress is by doing something. Exercise, 4 times a week to the point that you are sweating (maybe 30 minutes). Whatever you do, get up, get out, and do something. Sitting around on your days off will just make you sicker and sicker and probably kill you early.

YardPro
09-09-2007, 02:56 PM
i have to agree that you are far too "doom and gloom" fixated where the economy is concerned.....

You are far to young to remember the fuel shortage of the 70's or the 16% mortgage rates of the late 70's, or the real estate crash of the mid 80"s (that started the time share concept because they could not sell all the condo's that had been built) that resulted from the dramatic drop in interest rates....(sort of like what is happening now)

don't sweat it, look for the positive and capitalize on the opportunity's that present themselves.
Things will be fine, life goes on, and the sun will rise tomorrow. The stress you are having is created by how YOU are reacting to your situation. Lighten up and try and not let things get to you.

44DCNF
09-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Here's a quote from a man in the food service industry. I read an article on him and his job of managing a catering crew and serving banquets at a club, in the Seattle area, I believe it is. I thought they were pretty wise words.
"Be flexible in whatever situation you are in. I don't expect a whole lot to happen. Things turn out best if you keep your heart in the right place."
Danny MuelBroek

If you drive a truck much of the day Gravel Rat, try and put easy listening music on (classical, jazz, bluegrass, folk, Christian, etc.) instead of harsh news and talk show, or loud rock. Take joy in knowing that you do your job well. Don't let other people whop are acting out as a result of their miserable lives make you miserable.

Gravel Rat
09-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Working with the public is stressfull but it seems like everything is getting that way people are getting more demanding,short tempered etc.

Anyhow sitting eating lunch with a familly friend and a person that has been in the excavation business for 35 years he said stick with the gov't. Said to me it may not be good money and something you want to do but its a steady job. He said there is very little full time employment and its only going to get worse. I know he is ready to sell everything off and get out the good days are gone when excavating was profitable. I know a few other contractors that are ready to pull the pin they had enough.

The area might be in trouble in 5 years when these long time companies pull the pin and retire. No younger generation was really trained or taken on to be trained to take over where the older generation. Not like the 70s when the kids took over the familly business and when people got jobs easily. I worked for the person I mentioned above he never had enough work to keep me employeed full time. I didn't have many skills at the that time I worked as a labourer.

Talked with another contractor he just started in the excavation business but his familly has been in the logging industry for decades. I'am glad I got to meet him I seen his advertising etc. He says its really feast or famine out there now being busy for couple weeks and have very little to no work for a couple weeks. He had a job similar to mine he said he couldn't take it anymore either. Trying to make it go but I think he is under a little stress too.

It is getting into fall and winter so hopefully the stress level will come down. There still isn't people to replace full time employees like me that want to take their vacation time. I hope I don't get any bad colds or get sick because a person will be forced to go to work. The company has no interest in training anybody else we are responsible to find people that want to work.

Now that the law changed that there is no mandatory retirement at the age of 65 people are able to work till their 90s if they want to. That is really killing job openings but most employers like it because they don't need to spend money training a new person when they have a experienced person that can make the company money.

I don't know how some of you guys are not a little worried with the US ecomomy on shakey ground too. A guy I was hauling garbage for he is right into that world politic etc he was boring me with it 3 weeks ago when I was hauling some reno debris for him. He said to me you think the Canadian economy is in bad shape he said the US ecomomy is worse and its not going to get any better.

You guys south of the boarder are 9 Trillion in debt :eek:

If the US economy flops the B.C. economy flops because the US buys lots of wood and gravel from B.C.. Just from my area alone the mines send couple million dollars worth of aggregates to California and Washington State every year. The mines employ atleast 300 people then that spins off with other people.

qps
09-09-2007, 04:50 PM
KSSS.........I've been waiting and watching for your reply:laugh:

Chilehead
09-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Let me tell you what you need to do. I, Dr.Chilehead am at your service, man. First, learn not to take offense to complaints. This can be hard for some to do, but you'll be significantly less prone to mental negativity if you refuse to take complaints as personal. There's an old saying,"never complain about what you're willing to tolerate". If someone is attacking you verbally on a personal level, realize that they must not know you well cause if they did, they would not have to be so crass with you. Am I right? Second, leave work-related problems at work. Quitting time is called "quitting" time for just that reason. When someone quits something, they have washed their hands of it. You can do so on a daily basis between the end of a days work and when you arrive the next morning. Third, get a cat. I have two, and they are the best stress relief I know of: 1-They are loyal. 2-They are the best confidant you will ever have. You can tell them everything and they won't tell anyone anything. 3-They are low maintenance. Clean the litter box every other day, feed them daily, and shampoo once a month. Fourth, keep you're mind sharp. Nutrition, exercise, and continual mental stimulation are essential for serratonin(the good-feeling chemical) production. Fifth, find some positive people to hang out with. You have enough negativity at work that must be counter-balanced. Sixth, spiritual health is just as, if not more important than physical and emotional health. A feeling of continual hollowness or emptiness is evidence of a dead spiritual life. I hope this helps. Best wishes.

ksss
09-09-2007, 05:50 PM
QPS, funny you mention that. I had written several replys only to delete them. Rock Set hits the nail on the head with a response that is more direct and cutting than than what you usually see from him. This is due in part with the long term guys here just running out of sympathy and energy for such discussions. I told myself that unless very bored I would no longer par take in such meaningless discussions. I did find Dr. Chilihead's response interesting and right in line with what I have found to be true (minus the cat thing). I have stresses that are different than most and so my methods for dealing with it are also different. Smoking is not the answer for anyone. Dealing with such issues with a chemcial response with either legal or illegal drugs is IMHO counterproductive, but to each his own. I will say not to over look the option of good clinical help. Drop the macho stigmatism the prevents many males from utilizing that option, and get some professional help in dealing with such matters.

As far as the economy goes, I have found this to be true in my nearly a decade and a half of professional dirt working. It also pertains to most everything else. No matter what the condition of the economy is, if you do a good job and treat people fairly, you will always have work. I have weathered battered economies both local and national. The months following 9-11 were by far the worst. Yet here I am.

Construct'O
09-09-2007, 07:12 PM
To put a little more inlightness into this post.
NO! Stinking cat for me! :nono:

Maybe a dog "mans best friend":dancing:

Second thought cat might work out>>>>>>> a CAT 297C :drinkup: less the litter box:walking:

qps
09-09-2007, 07:17 PM
What do you do GR....work for the phone company.....don't you..... like live at home??? how much stress can you have......by the way....zoloft works for me:canadaflag:

Gravel Rat
09-09-2007, 07:21 PM
I do the same thing I do a good job and treat people fair and ya I got screwed a few times from homeowners. I always had work even in the real slow periods of the 96 to 2002. In those years you needed 3-4 part time jobs it is getting that way again. Now that the cost of living is higher ie places to rent is 1000 dollars a month etc.

I'am a little frustrated that my truck isn't getting any work so that is adding to the stress. Haven't even gotten one call from the mills to haul lumber I was getting atleast 1 load a week. All my regular contractors said they got nothing for me to haul away.

Have to stick with what I'am doing now and ride out the winter because trying to find any employment is next to impossible unless you want to be a stock boy at the grocery store for 10 dollars per hour.

Gravel Rat
09-09-2007, 07:45 PM
I work in a public transportation company run under the gov't (gov't company). In the 80s and 90s working for the company was the best job you could get because it was classed as a high paying job. With inflation etc the job isn't a high paying job anymore. The only thing about it is its a gauranteed job for life you make a certain amount of money per year and thats it.

I started part time which everybody does your part time on call 365 days a year for up to 12 years. When I started 5 years ago I got maybe a months worth of work in a year as the years progress that turned into 3 months a year. After 5 years I'am finally full time and I lucked out getting a full time position usually it takes another 5 years of part time before you even get a opening for full time. In the years previous when work wasn't plentiful the gov't thought it was a privelege to work for them so when you were a part timer and refused to work 3 times you were fired.

With B.C.s economy doing well for 5 years companies like I work for lost employees because you can get paid more on other jobs.

The job I have now gives you a take home pay of 2000- 2200 dollars CND per month or 2000 US a month. Annual salary of 24,000 a year isn't very good especially when you consider if I had to rent a place a 1000 a month half of my spendable income goes to rent.

I house sit so that saves me rent my parents neighbours are absentee homeowners. I would like to buy my own house so I can get on with my life but at my income I can't afford a mortage payment. The cheapest rent is 650 dollars thats for a 1 bedroom 800 square foot basement suite. For 1200 dollars it gets you a 1000 square foot cabin.

I have been looking at trying to find a large used fifth wheel to live in something with slide outs and park it on my parents property and live in it. They got almost a acre of land the only thing I would need to build would be a septic field.

Rental properties are very very few most places that were for rent were sold for 250,000-500,000.

The whole area is turning into the baby boomer retirement village if you got a million dollar bank account you can buy a house. People are starting to call 2 million dollar houses as "CABINS" :confused:

Some buy waterfront property to use couple times a year and a place to tie up their 500,000 dollar yacht.

YardPro
09-09-2007, 08:19 PM
find out what these people spend their money on and start selling it.

Fieldman12
09-09-2007, 08:56 PM
I think Chilehead makes a good point about choosing the people you hang with. It is obvious you would like to be in a productive business doing truck work. Well, try to start hanging with those type of people. I like farming, excavating, tractor pulling, trucking and real estate. Allot of times they can throw a little work your way or at least give ya some ideas. I have always said you have to live and breath what your into to be good at it. We all know that the econmy is not good out there. The goal is how can you avoid getting sucked into the economy trap. Maybe you should think a few hours away dragging up work if the pay is right.

Gravel Rat
09-09-2007, 10:08 PM
At work I'am around truckers all the time I know every regular truck driver. I'am also around excavation contractors quite abit and know every contractor in the area they know me if they had extra work they would tell me. They know I drive gravel truck but they don't have the work to hire on another guy. If they do have work its part time say couple weeks worth of work. Most excavation contractors have 1 or 2 employees they don't need anymore than that. I have worked for all 3 contractors and 1 of them I haven't they never had enough work to keep me on full time. The one contractor I did work for the longest was almost a year because they were busy and needed a guy with mechanical skills.

I was talking to a person from Kelowna earlier this week its booming there too he said 1 to 2 million houses are selling quick. He was saying people think nothing of dropping 2 million for a house. I asked him about places to stay he said there isn't much rentals are nil. Albertans are buying the place up for summer cabins. He said his kids will never afford to live in the community they were raised its gotten to expensive.

Then I was looking in the paper a down town apartment (brandnew) 500square feet is selling for 375,000 dollars holy crap thats rediclous the other apartments are up to 2 million dollars .

dons
09-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Not specifically excavation, just construction in general...

Things are down here I'd guess overall by 70% if you are tied to residential and especially track home construction in anyway. We're down 80% compared to this time in 05'. That is the market we've targeted solely for the last 5 years (entire track subdivisions) and it's been a real slap into reality getting things back on course. The diverse and proactive companies are the ones staying above water here.

I built our business based on the feast or famine years I experienced through the 90's, one month you're eating good and the next you're hungry. They we're hard earned lessons, believe me. I guess my point is... you have to stay prepared for changes if you want to survive in construction and it's not for everyone.

Personally I find the challenge rewarding. I do wish you the best of luck, Gravel Rat

SiteSolutions
09-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Smoking is not the answer for anyone. Dealing with such issues with a chemcial response with either legal or illegal drugs is IMHO counterproductive, but to each his own. I will say not to over look the option of good clinical help. Drop the macho stigmatism the prevents many males from utilizing that option, and get some professional help in dealing with such matters.

What do you do GR....work for the phone company.....don't you..... like live at home??? how much stress can you have......by the way....zoloft works for me

I have tried things and zoloft (and "good clinical help") at various times in the past. I agree with Kaiser that over the long haul, chemical solutions to real world problems are counterproductive. I would also say that sometimes you have to go through something to get past it, grow beyond it. Maybe chemicals are not a solution for GR but I bet it would help him chill out, which he really needs to do. Once he gets a taste of calmness, maybe he will know what to shoot for.

I can't imagine trying to run a business and have a family under the influence of drugs. They take the edge off, sure, but they make everything so confusing and disordered. They buffer things too much to be able to deal with the here and now. Then again, perhaps GR needs a little vacation from the here and now, long enough to think about the big picture and the future... with not much else to worry about, I doubt that zoloft or cannabis would do anything but help him out of his rut. Careful coming off that zoloft, though! That is a bad, bad trip.

qps
09-09-2007, 11:18 PM
I have tried things and zoloft (and "good clinical help") at various times in the past. I agree with Kaiser that over the long haul, chemical solutions to real world problems are counterproductive. I would also say that sometimes you have to go through something to get past it, grow beyond it. Maybe chemicals are not a solution for GR but I bet it would help him chill out, which he really needs to do. Once he gets a taste of calmness, maybe he will know what to shoot for.

I can't imagine trying to run a business and have a family under the influence of drugs. They take the edge off, sure, but they make everything so confusing and disordered. They buffer things too much to be able to deal with the here and now. Then again, perhaps GR needs a little vacation from the here and now, long enough to think about the big picture and the future... with not much else to worry about, I doubt that zoloft or cannabis would do anything but help him out of his rut. Careful coming off that zoloft, though! That is a bad, bad trip.

I was kidding....

SiteSolutions
09-09-2007, 11:28 PM
I was kidding....

I think there's a lot of folks who kid about drugs. IMHO, they really aren't that funny, though. They are powerful and can be incredibly destructive or even useful... like fire, gunpowder, nuclear fission, any tool or technology... they are a thing, a device. They lack goodness and badness until used for a purpose; the purpose gives them their goodness or badness. (That said, I admit some things seem to only be used for evil and not good.)

It sounds to me as though GR is on the edge of something but won't jump, won't go through it... why post the same cry for help every two weeks for the last eight months? So get on with it, is all I'm saying. Change. Drugs can be a catalyst for that. So can other things. Maybe just packing up all your stuff in a big bag and moving to the mythical land of Alberta, where all the people are wealthy...? I don't know what that experience, that life-changing moment will be for you. But for the sake of everyone on this board, get on with it!

cddva
09-10-2007, 12:34 AM
I think it's becoming clear, that for GR posting here has become his current form of "self therapy". This thread is sounding more and more like his previous one. Don't get me wrong GR, I'm not condemning you. As you've seen your not the only one dealing with stress. We all have different personality make-ups and therefore deal with stress differently. I can relate to much of the "stress" discussion here myself and it's interesting to hear different philosophy's on how people cope. I myself find that exercise is a great short term stress reliever. I would offer that while it's good to ask for advice and discuss things, chronic negativity will have people avoiding you. You need to take the advice you get that may be of some value to you and spin it in a positive direction. Get out and get active in other interest's and do something that makes you feel good and get your mind off the negative aspect's.....START LIVING! Oh, and don't worry about the US economy, China has our back.:usflag:

JDSKIDSTEER
09-10-2007, 06:03 AM
If our economy is so bad, why did a Canadian bank just pay top dollar for the bank my wife works at?

qps
09-10-2007, 07:08 AM
I think there's a lot of folks who kid about drugs. IMHO, they really aren't that funny, though. They are powerful and can be incredibly destructive or even useful... like fire, gunpowder, nuclear fission, any tool or technology... they are a thing, a device. They lack goodness and badness until used for a purpose; the purpose gives them their goodness or badness. (That said, I admit some things seem to only be used for evil and not good.)

It sounds to me as though GR is on the edge of something but won't jump, won't go through it... why post the same cry for help every two weeks for the last eight months? So get on with it, is all I'm saying. Change. Drugs can be a catalyst for that. So can other things. Maybe just packing up all your stuff in a big bag and moving to the mythical land of Alberta, where all the people are wealthy...? I don't know what that experience, that life-changing moment will be for you. But for the sake of everyone on this board, get on with it!

Well, first of all anti-depressants aren't an additive drug...or at least zoloft isn't, used properly they are a great tool, I'm not going to play Dr. here with GR, but his threads are all starting to sound the same, this is a equipment forum, not an open topic forum, nuff said....:rolleyes:

grassmanvt
09-10-2007, 08:38 PM
I will say not to over look the option of good clinical help. Drop the macho stigmatism the prevents many males from utilizing that option, and get some professional help in dealing with such matters.

I'm part of a self help group. We meet on Friday nights at the bar . If its been a real trying week we also hold a session on Saturday.:drinkup:

Dirty Water
09-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Drug Reference heh

SiteSolutions
09-11-2007, 07:34 AM
Well, first of all anti-depressants aren't an additive drug...or at least zoloft isn't

Are you serious? Are you seriously serious? Have you ever seen someone miss one day of Zoloft? It's like crack withdrawals. Really not pretty.

AWJ Services
09-11-2007, 08:26 AM
I'm part of a self help group. We meet on Friday nights at the bar . If its been a real trying week we also hold a session on Saturday.

Charter member of the Georgia Chapter here.

AL Inc
09-11-2007, 02:50 PM
We've all got stress in our lives, GR, it is just like someone said previously, the secret is in how you handle it. It is tough for some of us that run businesses, have mortgages, and families that depend on us to sympathize with you.
If you want to change your life, just go for it, life is short. Posting on here isn't going to change anything for you.

tallrick
09-12-2007, 04:58 PM
I must be crazy, but since most of my work now is at a desk, spending the day in a skid steer taking tree trimmings to a truck or chipper, or drilling holes in a pasture for fence posts is a great stress reliever. Only thing better is clearing or small demolition with a dozer. Lately I get none of it, wish it was like before when I was doing the weekend work for a friend.

Gravel Rat
09-12-2007, 10:01 PM
The other thing I don't like too much is I'am not learning anything at the gov't job so if it does flop or you never know with the gov't and I need to find another job I'am a little screwed.

cddva
09-12-2007, 11:13 PM
GR - Spend some of your internet time researching community college courses in your area. You don't have to pursue a degree program, take some computer courses, learn to be a CAD operator, welder, diesel mechanic (or whatever interest's you). Make yourself marketable and stimulate your mind at the same time or .........if your tired of living at home, working a thankless job with no real future join the armed forces and "see the world"! They'll turn you into a fine upstanding serviceman in a nice crisp uniform and teach you some skills. The CB's may be the perfect fit for you?! The world is your oyster GR, take the bull by the horns!:weightlifter:

mower&more1986
09-13-2007, 12:23 AM
I watch movies , ride my atv and I take horseback riding lessons 2 times a week no i dont own a horse too expessive and cant anytime soon.
but i really does help with my stress.:)
about the job security I got my CDL when i was 19 because i wanted to become a truck driver but found out i cant drive a Semi out of state untill im 21 which is only a month or two away.with my CDL i can aways fallback on because the is almost aways a need for a truck driver

44DCNF
09-13-2007, 01:29 AM
Well I have it figured out....You are UNGRATEFUL. It is into the fifth page of replies with many with good advice, encouragement, and analyzing the situation for you and you haven't once said thanks for the help or sympathy. If you were to grab a Bible and do a chain reference study of all the verses where the words Encourage/Encouragement/Encouraged are used, the one common theme you would find is that giving thanks almost always precedes encouragement.

Try this tomorrow. Get up in the morning and get on your knees and give the Lord thanks for your job and your health. Report back tomorrow night and tell us how your day went.

qzilla
09-13-2007, 04:02 AM
AMEN to that!

I have not been hear long but, I have read some of the "feel so sorry for me threads".

First, it sounds like he spends most of his day talking and complaining to any and everyone that will listen to him. Shut up and do your job, maybe that will help?

If you don't like your job do something else.

You complain about not being able to call in sick? Like you plan on getting sick or something, as an employer that was weird. If you are sick and have a Dr note then it is excused, end of story.

Do you not have vacation time? If you earned it then you have it. Schedule it and use it. Don't whine about using it.

I supply a lot of parts to Canadian companies and some are great but, I think this overall attitude is the Canadian way. Everytime you talk to one of them something bad is happening. The SKY IS FALLING all the time up there.

This inlcudes Alberta. It is always someone screwed me, someone is out to get me or its not fair. I hear it all the time. We have around 700 customers over US, CA and the UK and CA is the worst for this followed by the UK. I think it is a way of like up there for a large majority of the people.

This is not intended to offend anyone from Canada. I know miserable people from the US too. I have great friends in Canada but, as a general rule this is a common attitude.

I hated even replying to this because when I search for something on here I inevitably run across thee by accident and these stupid threads just get in the way.

The world is not coming to an end. The economy may tighten up but, it is not crashing. It has to tighten up so people can make money. The more people that make money the more the economy will sway back the other way. Then it all starts over. The whole world works on cycles, do some research it has to be this way. Just like the stock market. In order for people to make money someone has to loose money, one way or another at some point.

So give up feeling sorry for yourself. That will make you a lonely miserable person.

SiteSolutions
09-14-2007, 08:06 AM
GR - Spend some of your internet time researching community college courses in your area. You don't have to pursue a degree program, take some computer courses, learn to be a CAD operator, welder, diesel mechanic (or whatever interest's you). Make yourself marketable and stimulate your mind at the same time or .........if your tired of living at home, working a thankless job with no real future join the armed forces and "see the world"! They'll turn you into a fine upstanding serviceman in a nice crisp uniform and teach you some skills. The CB's may be the perfect fit for you?! The world is your oyster GR, take the bull by the horns!:weightlifter:

I don't know if Canadians have seabees? Maybe he could defect to the US and then join up?

janb
09-16-2007, 01:59 AM
stress relief?

Dairy Farm Boarding School - no time to lament

Get yourself a challenge (school would be good), and the Gov will probably pay for it.

Do the job in your sleep... don't let any of this 'non-important' stuff get under your skin. (none of it will matter in a little while). Don't take work issues too serious when you are an 'employee', after all they're just buying your time, and likely at a higher rate than anyone else. Keep a low profile, lighten up, find something to laugh about.