PDA

View Full Version : Blade hitting side of mower under Mower???Help

vaulta
09-08-2007, 04:38 PM
I changed the spark plug and mower started runs great. I enganged the blades and it was like i hit a rock.I was in my garage and nothing looked too be under it. Stoped the blades right away and know one of the blades is tounching the side of my mower underneith. Iam scared too engage the blades since its touching pretty hard at the end of the blade on the deck. iam so confused?

Vikings
09-08-2007, 04:41 PM
What kind of mower?

I don't know much but I know this.. I bought a 36" toro and it's great. I bought a mulch kit for it and to my surprise it came with blades. So I THOUGHT I had two sets of blades, but I don't. The mulching blades are slightly shorter..and I think if I put my regular blades on now they would jam in the mulch kit.

I don't care to try it though.

vaulta
09-08-2007, 06:43 PM
blades engaged fine day before, today started it put the blades on and BAM (sparks), they hit hard real hard like i hit a huge rock. sounded like the blades hit, i think they did. i was scewing around the deck a little today before, and think i messed up the timing belt. i put the mower up, the two blades are hitting each other when i hand spin them and both are firmly touching the sides of the mower deck, like the blades are two big.everything under the deck looks good and tight underneith.deck is not bent, are blades bent so thier hitting the sides of the deck, both blades are hitting the out side under the deck very firmly too firm too run the blades?any help would be awsome. 36" john deere

Daddy Joes Lawn Service
09-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Blade not on right on mine there or 2 pins that the blades rest on and another thing is the washer gose on a special way cup side to blade. Found this out the wrong way!

Vikings
09-08-2007, 07:39 PM
You must have the wrong blades.

supercuts
09-08-2007, 07:43 PM
are you spindle bearing shot?? with the blade on grab the end and yank on it to see if there is any play. if they are bad they can move slightly and if your mower has a tight clearence, they may hit. bent blades cant hit. if not, you have the wrong blades, did you just put them on?

joshco84
09-08-2007, 10:37 PM
sounds like wrong blades to me.

TTPRODR
09-08-2007, 10:44 PM

Grass Happens
09-08-2007, 10:48 PM
GS 30/GS 15? I had one. yep you need new blades and to set the time on the deck. Go to a deere dealer and get a manual. Thats why I traded mine in. If you hit anything remotely stationary, BOOM! it messes up the timming, and its time for new blades!

stevenf
09-09-2007, 12:12 AM
This happened to me and it was my spindle bearings. Sounded like the blades were hitting but there were no marks or indensions where they would have hit. The noise eventually got alot quieter!

Vikings
09-09-2007, 04:19 PM
GS 30/GS 15? I had one. yep you need new blades and to set the time on the deck. Go to a deere dealer and get a manual. Thats why I traded mine in. If you hit anything remotely stationary, BOOM! it messes up the timming, and its time for new blades!

I never heard of this before and I'm thinking of getting a Deere rider for next year. Do you have any thoughts you could share about Deeres?

Where I live there isn't a lot of selection of riders and Lazers are priced so high but there are lots of John Deeres running around and a couple large dealers.

I bought a 36" Toro this year and had to wait 4 weeks for delivery and another 3 weeks for the Mulch kit so now I'm scared of what happens if it breaks down on me:laugh: I might have to use 21's for a month so I want to buy a brand that can get fixed fast.

Grass Happens
09-09-2007, 06:49 PM
I never heard of this before and I'm thinking of getting a Deere rider for next year. Do you have any thoughts you could share about Deeres?

Where I live there isn't a lot of selection of riders and Lazers are priced so high but there are lots of John Deeres running around and a couple large dealers.

I bought a 36" Toro this year and had to wait 4 weeks for delivery and another 3 weeks for the Mulch kit so now I'm scared of what happens if it breaks down on me:laugh: I might have to use 21's for a month so I want to buy a brand that can get fixed fast.

Its only the John Deere gs 30/gs 15 that have the timed blades. They are the same machine, except for some little things and 2 more HP. I'm not sure why they were timed, the cut quality wasn't anything near good, and just was a huge waste of time. Like i said, if you hit anything, it would throw the timing off, and BAM, it was time to replace 2 blades. The happiest day was when i lost money trading it in for an ancient ransomes 48...
I'm not a deere fan, just personal preference, however, if you feel that is where you would get the best service, then by all means demo out. I here ppl raving on here about the ZTs. I personally like the ride of the Ferris/Simplicity Z's. But like I said, service is where it matters.

Daddy Joes Lawn Service
09-10-2007, 07:23 AM
Its only the John Deere gs 30/gs 15 that have the timed blades. They are the same machine, except for some little things and 2 more HP. I'm not sure why they were timed, the cut quality wasn't anything near good, and just was a huge waste of time. Like i said, if you hit anything, it would throw the timing off, and BAM, it was time to replace 2 blades. The happiest day was when i lost money trading it in for an ancient ransomes 48...
I'm not a deere fan, just personal preference, however, if you feel that is where you would get the best service, then by all means demo out. I here ppl raving on here about the ZTs. I personally like the ride of the Ferris/Simplicity Z's. But like I said, service is where it matters.

I run the john deere lawn tractor 155c for about 2 years never had a problem with it. i just give it good maintince. my dealer that i work with gets my parts in if any in 2 day's. i'm going to get bashed on this but lowes handles the parts too!

topsites
09-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Is this a rare chain-driven interference blade system?
Because so long it's a belt-driven blade system there's no reason they should hit each other, or the deck, unless some shaft is bent...
That or your chain-drive's synchronization is off, but they still shouldn't hit the deck...
And if the blades are belt-driven then it's not an interference system.

Now if someone sold you a belt-driven mower talk about it being an interference system that would be wrong, ONLY chain drives are used on these systems due to belt slippage, it really makes perfect sense you would never use a belt if the blades interfere. Yes, all interference systems are chain driven, unless JD made a big boo-boo but this is an Industry standard and JD's been around 170 years, so...

You must have the wrong blades.

That's what I'm thinking, would be my first check, seeing how it's the cheapest thing to fix for now.

vaulta
09-13-2007, 07:48 PM
thier are directions on my 36" on how too time and set the blades.

Grass Happens
09-14-2007, 10:39 AM
There are two belts for the deck on a GS. One is the Pto drive, the other is a cogged belt that sets and keeps the timing, similar to timing belts used on most new cars. I have no idea why everybody continues this discussion, I owned one of these, it is a timed deck. don't belive me? look up the GS15 on JDs website. Just follow the timing intuctions, put on new blades, and dont ever hit anything again. and check that belt weekly.