PDA

View Full Version : Trenchers+CTL Pics

Construct'O
09-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Just thought would share a few pictures of a different use of CTL an why a wheel machine doesn't cut it for what is do.:usflag:

lawncare18
09-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Do you guys farm or are you doing drains for a farmer?? looks like you got a lot of drainage to do.. also is that an angle blade on that skid??

Dirty Water
09-08-2007, 09:15 PM
That yellow rig looks like a massive vibratory plow.

RockSet N' Grade
09-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Sheesh, now I guess I have got to learn how to post pics......

cat2
09-08-2007, 10:19 PM
How you like the Deere:confused: I think I may have asked you before,but who can remember

Fieldman12
09-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Hey Construct'O looks good. How do you guys like the blade on the CTL? I have heard some people complain that it is not as easy to control as on a dozer.

dons
09-08-2007, 10:55 PM
I have to say, the JD 332 track machines seem like the cats meow to me. I stopped by our local dealer last week just for a looksie, impressive in a simple way if that makes sense. Wish I could justify a need for one.....:rolleyes:

Cool pictures.

dozerman21
09-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Hey Construct'O looks good. How do you guys like the blade on the CTL? I have heard some people complain that it is not as easy to control as on a dozer.

Construct'O, I was wondering the same thing. I've only ran a blade attachment on a wheeled skid, and I didn't like it. I've always wanted to try one on my Deere.

Is that blade a 6 way PAT? The one I used was only a 4 way.

P.Services
09-09-2007, 02:21 PM
do you have any bad things to say about the deere im thinking about buying one very soon?

Dirt Digger2
09-09-2007, 04:53 PM
we had a 6 way blade on our takeuchi...the thing was very difficult to control becuase you not only had to worry about the blade height using the curl but you also had to worry about using the loader arms the raise and lower the blade. Plus on the takuchi you have to press all kinds of buttons to change it from angle to tilt. Another problem we had was never being able to release te hydraulic pressure to get the couplers in. Our dozer is MUCH easier to operate so we sold the blade a few months ago

Construct'O
09-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Too answer a few of the question about the blade first! It is a 6-way blade.The tilt of th blade is run by the right pedal.My machine has hand control,and the peddle is for the hydraulic attachment.

On the right hand control handle there is a push button for the angle of the blade.It takes a little getting use to,by like all things comes with pratice remembering which button or pedal does what.

The tilt and angle is fast,and can be changed back and forth on the go.As far as the blade being used as a dozer as in moving lots of natural ground dirt(nothing bets a track dozer period) It is nice to finish,shaping work,and backilling the main reason i need one.

But for what i'm doing the blade on my CTL is great.Makes for fast back filling of the tile trenches,which is my reasoning of wanting and needing the CTL.We put in over 3 thousand feet of tile in a short day Sat.and as you can see that is several feet to backfill.The job we are on right now is over 30 thousand feet.

The trenched dirt is loose ,but you would be surprised how heavy it is to push because of the heavy clay and moisture in place.Plus wet surface we have to drain at times.

Construct'O
09-09-2007, 07:31 PM
As far as the 332 Deere CTL goes for the main purpose i'm using mine for it is doing everything i have ask of it.But again it is mainly used for backfilling my trenches.The trencher cuts almost a 24" trench and i dig 5 to 6 feet deep.So the pile of backfill dirt is pretty good size.

By the way the backfill blade is 2ft. tall by 8ft.wide.

The trencher in good digging will dig at the rate of about 15 to 20 feet a minute.Depending in the soil types i'm in.Also time out for buried rock,junk(old car bodies) also moving and making connection for branch lines off main line.We are also install tile intale(riser) as in one of the picture that we will be building terrace(catch basin)

In real wet ground we will have to winch the machine throw places.Really slows you down.

The CTL 332 has a lots of power more then you can put to the ground at times,but again we are working in moist to overly wet ground probably 80 percent of the time.Pushing power is what it has to do all day long,and is very good at it.It will suck it's share of fuel,but is doing a lot of work also at the same time.

There is more ,but has been discussed here before.If your interested in one ,you just need to demo one and then decide if it's the one for you.

For me the 332 has done a great job and will have lots of feet of backfilling to do in the days to come.The work i'm using mine for might not be quite as demanding as some ,but pushing wet muddy dirt all day long has showed me it has the stuff for what i do.:usflag:

Fieldman12
09-09-2007, 10:08 PM
I like the pics Construct'O especially the CTL 332 with the chrome stack. :) That looks like the same tile plow they use around here. I agree that wet ground is heavy and hard to work with. Dryer ground is so much lighter to move and do what you need with. So do you guys do a bunch of trenching? Do you also put in waterways on farms?

Construct'O
09-10-2007, 12:28 AM
I like the pics Construct'O especially the CTL 332 with the chrome stack. :) That looks like the same tile plow they use around here. I agree that wet ground is heavy and hard to work with. Dryer ground is so much lighter to move and do what you need with. So do you guys do a bunch of trenching? Do you also put in waterways on farms?

I'm a landimprovment contractor and yes we do a good share of field drainage work.Plus conservation work for loacl farmers,as in ponds,terraces waterways,and in the last few years we have also built wetlands ,which is a new area of work source for us.

I know this might not be as interesting for some on as others,but was trying to show how a CTL is worth the extra cost used in my line of work.

I use to use a large 4-wheel drive tractor to backfill with.When the bigger CTL's started coming out i thought that they would work great for backfilling.Because they are fast,and compact for tight places to work.

Easy to move,plus with so many attachment for the CTL's it would make it more universal.Could use it for more then just one thing as with the big tractor.Altho the did use the tractor to pull a hydraulic scraper with.

I agree that CTL are not for evryone,but for me it was the right choice.:usflag:

AWJ Services
09-10-2007, 07:54 AM
I'm a landimprovment contractor and yes we do a good share of field drainage work.Plus conservation work for loacl farmers,as in ponds,terraces waterways,and in the last few years we have also built wetlands ,which is a new area of work source for us.

Just curious why all this is required.
Being from this far south I am ignorant too farming up north.
It looks really interesting.
Just like too learn a little bit about it.

Construct'O
09-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Just curious why all this is required.
Being from this far south I am ignorant too farming up north.
It looks really interesting.
Just like too learn a little bit about it.

AWJ most of the trenching is done to wet spots in the field where they farm.The tile is perfrated tile that drains the wet spot that tend to drown the crops out and cuts down on the yeilds.

Where i live there is what is called sidehill seeps,that run water out on top of the ground year around.Also low flat ground where the water tends to stand is also tiled(trenched).

Inconjuction with the tile we install a tile riser (intake) the orange riser with the holes in it in the last pic.It has rows of holes in it to let the water drain through.We will be building a terraces(cacth basin like some that you would built in yours or other work.Except the dirt fills on ours terraces might be as tall as 6' feet and from 250' to over a 1000 ft.

The terrace are to store the water and let it drain the water down through the riser slow.Most of the time it is for soil erosion protection.Helps save the topsoil(black dirt that is the most productive for crops here) It is an improvment for the land (landimprovment)

I realize your in or have been in a drought area,this year,so is hard to understand other problems with the wet ground in different areas.

We do have and have had several drought here also,and are probably do for one again.They come and go.

Like we have all said before we all do different things in our area then other areas.That is the reason we each have different equipment.Know this is a long post,but hope it helped some.Maybe i'll post some other pics sometime with a newly built terrace with the riser in it.

Grn Mtn
09-10-2007, 11:25 AM
how do you prevent the trenches from sinking (settling) after backfilling?

I noticed it looked like you just had rubber tracks, why not switch to a taller steel track? would this not allow you to get more power to the ground in the wet stuff?

AWJ Services
09-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Like we have all said before we all do different things in our area then other areas.That is the reason we each have different equipment.Know this is a long post,but hope it helped some.Maybe i'll post some other pics sometime with a newly built terrace with the riser in it.

Thanks for the info.
Looks interesting for sure.
I would love too see more pics.
I agree 100% with a CTL is perfect for this type work.

Dirt Digger2
09-10-2007, 02:27 PM
how do you prevent the trenches from sinking (settling) after backfilling?

I noticed it looked like you just had rubber tracks, why not switch to a taller steel track? would this not allow you to get more power to the ground in the wet stuff?

we usually fill them in 3/4 then run it over with the tire (or track) for the length of the ditch then push the topsoil in

also you can't get a steel track on a CTL..yet anyway, but i still wouldnt see the point to having them since it would tear up ground more then they already do plus the weight would be an issue

P.Services
09-10-2007, 08:55 PM
try supertrak.com for steel tracks on 287 cats with triple grousers

Fieldman12
09-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Allot of guys around here will usually let them set once heeped up for months to let settle and then come in and work the piles down. I have helped put waterways in and tile on some of our farms. I really enjoy it

DBL
09-10-2007, 11:29 PM
im not in the trenching biz but that sure seems like the way to do it

drmiller100
09-11-2007, 03:46 AM
is the blade really faster then a 7 foot bucket? seems like with the bucket you could lift and carry, and get better traction. otoh, you can't run along side the trench and angle the dirt in.

AWJ Services
09-11-2007, 09:12 AM
is the blade really faster then a 7 foot bucket? seems like with the bucket you could lift and carry, and get better traction. otoh, you can't run along side the trench and angle the dirt in.

A bucket is a pain too fill trenches with.

Dirt Digger2
09-11-2007, 11:46 AM
in my experience the bucket was just as fast if not faster then the blade. The blade on a CTL isn't as capable as a dozer, I was never able to run along the side of the ditch and push the entire pile in. When there was plenty of room to run perpendicular to the trench and push material in i always prefered the bucket, I normally would only choose the blade when we were working between 2 silt fences for example and I wasn't able to turn perpendicular to the trench without worrying about taking out the fence...thats been my experience anyway, and obviously if I had a bigger machine available on a job i would choose that too, our CTL is always the last resort because it takes a lot longer