PDA

View Full Version : gophers

Old Ivy
09-09-2007, 07:13 PM
I have some real gopher problems with some construction on both sides of my property chasing them to me. I have 1 1/2 acres of lawn that is getting riddled with gopher mounds and holes. They have killed my sprikler system by chewing through the wiring, and I can't even find the control valves on some of the systems. It's a mess, and if anyone has a solution, I would be grateful.
Ivy

upidstay
09-10-2007, 04:49 PM
There's Rodent Rid bait from Bell labs. Supposed to work well.

Old Ivy
09-10-2007, 05:05 PM
thanx, upidstay. I'll give it a shot.

DOLMARatOS
09-10-2007, 05:29 PM
High powered pellet rifles are safe and very quiet. I prefer to use the lead-poisoning method for gophers and other vermin. I never like using poison as they might die in an area where another animal such as a dog or a cat could suffer secondary poisoning from the dead critter.

Old Ivy
09-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Just one problem with Rodent Rid. It is not sold to the general public of which I am a part. I do not have a company that is certified for this bait. Is there some way to get it without being a certified rodent control company? Anyone know?

deere615
09-10-2007, 10:00 PM
High powered pellet rifles are safe and very quiet. I prefer to use the lead-poisoning method for gophers and other vermin. I never like using poison as they might die in an area where another animal such as a dog or a cat could suffer secondary poisoning from the dead critter.

Pellet rifles will work well-GAMO is your best choice, If your nieghbors are not to close use a 22 rifle. This is what me and my dad have always done.

DOLMARatOS
09-10-2007, 11:16 PM
Yeah. Close neighbors make for a difficult time with firearms.

Their are some really really nice pellet rifles on the market. Even at 50-75 yards you can put the round right on target. I like them when I'm working close to the right of way or by the road. Also, the crack of a rifle will put the little suckers in their holes for a few hours but the whisper of a pellet-gun only makes them duck for a few moments.

Then again, high explosives almost worked for Bill Murray in Caddyshack. Just a few pounds of C4 and no more gophers.....then all you have to do is finish out the new "pond" that you decided to install in the crater. HAHAHA

:hammerhead: