PDA

View Full Version : Major shrub bed project !!

HS Football Rules
09-10-2007, 06:55 AM
Newbie question:
I have the equivalent of 50,000 sq ft of turf to remove and convert
to shrub beds at an established apartment complex......

What are my best options? Should I "kill and till" or sod cut and add soil?

90% of these beds will be on flat ground, between buildings and sidewalks.
Turf is Bermuda, soil is mainly clay.

What equipment will save me the most time getting this done?

Never had this big of a re-hab job,,hard to figure time and labor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!!

Stillwater
09-10-2007, 08:26 AM
sod cutter, rototiller, wheelbarrels, need more details

YardPro
09-10-2007, 08:24 PM
if you are building the beds up with soil, just nuke them with glyphosate, and mound he dirt, cutting your bed edges when you are finished.

Grn Mtn
09-10-2007, 09:25 PM
yardpro's method works, but my problem with that is unless your building a burm your holes for the plants always seem to find the sod, so it takes longer to plant. also if you want your planting job to look awesome even 5 years down the road, nothing beats tilling and amending.

two weeks before white marking paint the proposed beds, call dig safe and spray with roundup (or sub it out if your not licensed). Your going to run into a ton of cable lines, major pita (have tools to splice handy:laugh: ) day before planting till everything once, then add soil, compost and gypsum if clay soil and anything else and till again. these fluffed up beds will compact so build-em high. Planting will go very quick because the soil super soft. I use a post hole digger for 1-5 gallons but I would use a power auger for mass quantities

HS Football Rules
09-11-2007, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the posts!
Do you think a week is too soon to till after
spraying?...I'm thinking yes,,but I'm on a tight time-line.
I need to start sooner than two weeks if I can.

This project may be the one that kills me..so wish me luck!

Thanks again

MarcSmith
09-11-2007, 07:26 AM
The only problem I have with roundup/till method is the fact that you are doing it to bermuda. Those sprigs have a nasty habit of surviving and then about a month later you new beds have bermuda sprigs growing. ARGH

Make this into a win-win situation. Use a sod cutter cut remove the sod and then till and amend the soil, Use a Dingo or small skid loader to scoop up the sod

Or

I'd factor in the bid resodding any thin areas with good sod that you have just removed. They will have to pay for the labor to remove and dispose of the sod, You've already paid for rental of the sod cutter...they might has well pay for labor to "replant" instead, plus it might save you a trip or two to the dump....and keep something green out of the landfill.

HS Football Rules
09-11-2007, 07:48 AM
Good point...I don't have time to apply and re-apply gly to stubborn bermuda.
even if I get lucky,,,probably would only get 90% kill rate with one application.

Now that I think about it, the property does need a few berm barriers to keep
vehicles out (U-hauls..pickups..:hammerhead: ).

Thanks