PDA

View Full Version : Service Engine Soon Light?

Mowman
09-16-2001, 11:14 AM
Hey Guy's,

I installed a new exhaust system on my S-10 Fri. and while driving it Sat. morning the Service Engine Soon light came on. Do you think that the new exhaust system could have turned it on? It was not the OEM equipment. It was a Gibson Cat-Back System.
Also is there any way I can get the light off without taking it to the Chevy Dealer? I also filled it up on Fri. with fuel if that might have anything to do with it. Thanks for your advice, as always it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mowman

Robert Doubrava
09-16-2001, 02:25 PM
My father said it may be a sensor in the exaust manifold, or in the catalyitic converter.[he used to be a mechanic at a chevy dealer]
Robert

John DiMartino
09-16-2001, 02:40 PM
What year is it?You can unhook the battery for a few minutes,reconnect it,and see if it comes back on.The computer may need to adjust the fuel curve slightly,from ther base one thats it has been running at.This may cause the light to come on,but usually it doesnt.

Mowman
09-16-2001, 02:41 PM
Explain this? I went for a drive this afternoon and JUMPED on it alittle, BANGED a few GEARS and the dumb light went out. What is up with that? Thanks,

Mowman

maacla
09-16-2001, 06:41 PM
I am an auto mechanic and depending on the year of your truck it is true if you unhook the battery (up to 96) and leave it unhooked for about a minute the code will be removed from the computer. It is not uncommon for the light to go out for a period of time. The code will remain in the computer though and usually will trigger the light from time to time. I suggest you erase the code and if it returns(the light comes on) again have the code number pulled to see what is setting it.

Fish
09-16-2001, 07:09 PM
I had an 88 GMC s-15 that ran great. I gave it away 4 years ago
with 250,000 miles on it. It had a check engine light come on and
off from 100,000 mile mark. If it still runs fine and uses a reasonable amount of fuel, don't worry about it. I checked the
computer codes once and had so many fault codes that my pen
ran out of ink. This is not a good forum for truck/car questions.
We cannot agree on a $99 Murray carb question, but as long as
we are all friends, who cares. I jump in if I think I can give something constructive. Life is too short not to speak your mind.
Fish

Derdader
09-22-2001, 03:21 PM
If your problem continues (light comes back) check out www.batauto.com forums. Excellent help on car/truck questions.

RC Services
09-27-2001, 01:54 AM
First get your self a chilton or hayns repair manual for your vehicle, Then there is a diagnostic connector under the dash it will have something like 8 or 10 square holes with electrical connectors in them it is made of black plastic. Next take a paper clip and bend it into a V shape. Looking at the connector. The two square holes in the top row all the way to the right are "A" and "B" place one end of the paper clip into "A" and the other end into "B" Then and only then, turn the ignition key to the on position but don't start the truck. The service engine soon light will then begin to flash. Flash pause flash, flash, flash for example would be a code 13. Then you look up the codes in the repair manual and it will give you a better idea of what sort of problem your having! It doesn't take anything else! Just a paper clip and a manual! If the cover on the diagnostic connector says obd11 ---- DISREGARD everything i've said and take it to a shop. Most newer trucks use the new obd11 system and it's a bit more complicated.. Hope this helps!

TFL
10-13-2001, 11:56 AM
somtimes on GM's if you don't put the gas cap back on tight enough this light will come on. tighten the cap and drive around for a few days and it should go off