PDA

View Full Version : Whats Easier, One Man Or Two

G & L lAWN CARE
09-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Had A Quick Question,
Is It Easier To Start A New Lawn Care Business With Just Yourself Or Trying To Make It A Two Man Show? I Have Been In Lawn Care But Im Just Getting Into Commercial Accounts. Thought About Adding A Person. Any Input Would Be Great!

Thanks

Shopkeeper
09-11-2007, 01:23 PM
I tried doing lawncare with a friend once and it worked out terribly. He didn't have the same drive and work ethic as me so he didn't work as hard or efficient. We broke up and I don't think I'll ever partner again.

MarcSmith
09-11-2007, 01:27 PM
I would not partner...but you could have an employee, but for a start up company an employee comes with headaches and extra costs, taxes, W/C, withholding, payroll, ect. On option to deal with this is to find a good employee and have him hire on with a temp service and then you pay the temp service as you need to use the employee....this way you are at least legit...

G & L lAWN CARE
09-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks For The Info. I Thought The Same But I Wanted To Get Someone Elses Input Before I Decided. Thanks Again For The Info, This Site Is So Helpful For The Novice And Pro.

Thanks

shane mapes
09-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Had A Quick Question,
Is It Easier To Start A New Lawn Care Business With Just Yourself Or Trying To Make It A Two Man Show? I Have Been In Lawn Care But Im Just Getting Into Commercial Accounts. Thought About Adding A Person. Any Input Would Be Great!

Thanks
i started out solo and then went with an employee part-time in the first season. the second season i went with two part-timers then i went to a partener and two full time guys by the third year. depends on what you want to do. i also work full time at night . so go figure

Grits
09-11-2007, 05:06 PM
It is easier with 2 people (one employee). I think 3 people has to be the most profitable though.

topsites
09-11-2007, 05:39 PM
It's yin and yang...

Technically speaking, two people should be able to finish one job in less than half the time than a solo Lco... Not only is there less switching of equipment at the truck, but with the right helper I find it's a mutual motivater to getting more done. Me and some guys sat down and figured it out back when and I think we came up with an overall 20% efficiency increase, that's taking into account that it's 2x everything if that makes any sense, 20% on top of that, maybe more.

Something about if it takes me solo 1 hour then it should take me and a helper right at 20 minutes, technically speaking I should come out way ahead, windshield time and all is figured into that earlier 20% thou. Once you get into 3 people it evens back out unless you have a lot of work all in one place... The thing is windshield time is a killer, you spend 15 minutes going to-from and there's 45 minutes wasted labor, these guys all want to get paid the entire time... One helper is half the labor wasted in the truck vs. 2, that is, as far as payola above and beyond your own, three people is twice the outgoing labor vs. two, once again it's some funny math but you really have to step back and look at the whole picture to see it.

But it all depends who you have, and what they're like.
I found helpers are either not as experienced / motivated as I am, and so it results in a loss... OR they are at least as good as I am (or better) and then every time I turn around they're trying to get one over on me, that was my experience.

So I think it boils down to what you want, some guys can tolerate helpers better than I, some Lco's would never go without, me I like being by myself.

I tried doing lawncare with a friend once and it worked out terribly. He didn't have the same drive and work ethic as me so he didn't work as hard or efficient. We broke up and I don't think I'll ever partner again.

yup yup.

Lawnut101
09-11-2007, 09:00 PM
I'm mostly solo with about 10-15 accounts a week. Sometimes I hire a worker, if I have too much work to do by myself, because I'm still in highschool. Next year I will be expanding, and I'm hoping to hire a worker full time, that is if I can double to triple my work load, or just pick up some more landscaping jobs. It is nice to have a helper, you get a whole ton less worn out, and you can get more jobs done in a shorter time period. Good luck

lawnpro724
09-11-2007, 09:43 PM
I guess it really depends on where you want your business to go. I have 2 full time employees, one who does mainly mowing and some landscaping on bigger jobs and a full time landscaper. Two on a mowing crew will get alot more done than a 1 man mow and go. It really depends on how many accounts you have and whether or not you need another person. I would stay away from friends and hire someone who has worked in the business for awhile you will be happier.

ed2hess
09-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Easier to start without the problems normally associated with workers.....do you have any idea how hard it is to get workers?

fergman
09-12-2007, 06:07 PM
its a nobrainer. NEVER partner. just have an EMPLEYEE @ WORK WITH YOU. youll make it farther with more money starting out if youwork alone. long hours and DO NOT LOWBALL!!! not saying that you are but really? would you come mow my yard,use my equipment, me pick you up and drop you off. and only make enough money to buy a drink and i burger from mcdonalds? no way unless your a feeble minded idiot. people do it all the time all over the country and alot of times i think its because they dont know how to manage and know what there expenses are. people even forget to think about needing new equipment when theres finally wears out. what are they gonna do? start out all over again? its crazy what you see people doing. so dont think that if mow joe down the road can do it for 40 then surely you can do it for 35. ive had 85 dollar yards that people steal from me and now they mow it for 45. just stupid. get yards because you take pride in doing an extremely good job all the time. TRY to make your quality of work stand out from the rest. i dont TAKE anybodys yards but alot of people have dropped there current cutter and got me because i do alot better job AND ill also charge them 5 or 10 bucks more per cut than the last guy.

fergman
09-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Easier to start without the problems normally associated with workers.....do you have any idea how hard it is to get workers?

its harder to find a good worker than i have ever imagined. my dad says that around here just 10 years ago i would have had more help than i would ever need. people wanted to work. ive had amazing help. and some are not worth hauling around let alone the drinks you buy for them. and theres loads of that kind. i cant even find a mexican around here that hasnt been americanized. they want to wear there baggy clothes and jewelry around saying yow homeeeey. at the golf course they say if they come in with shoes on there gone but if they come in wearing workboots there hired immediately on the spot.