PDA

View Full Version : pricing

kpetzold
09-11-2007, 10:15 PM
hey guys little advise needed . i spoke with a real estate agent and she has a almost two acre lot she needs mowed, i looked at it the grass is about 1ft tall and there are numerous trees and a pond ( with ducks ) , property is not level and has many small humps, i was thinking about 100 -125 for the job what do you think . also i will not be able to mulch this thick of grass should i tell her that there will be piles of cut grass left and that the sooner i can come back and cut again the yard will start looking better . i was also thinking of telling her that after the first cutting the price will drop to about 75 . be honest and thanks for the help . karl

Cracker Station
09-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Think you are 2 cheap on both cuttings. Don't really know without seeing it, But I wouldn't touch it either way. If it had been kept up all along, I'd get 100.00 to keep it up, That is without the ducks in the pond. :hammerhead: :hammerhead: Don't know with the ducks, hafta think on it. Don't sell yourself short. I am getting a lot of request for "catch-up service." Without a commitment for regular service, turning them down. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Vikings
09-11-2007, 10:23 PM
I do half an acre for $55.

snowjeep
09-11-2007, 10:51 PM
I have a few from Reality USA and I got a 3/4 acre lot with a dried up pond with lots of trimming. It was also about 1ft long. I charged $150.00 first cut and $50.00 after that but takes only 35 minutes to cut now. Realitors have money and must keep property up to sell.

kpetzold
09-11-2007, 11:09 PM
thanks guys for the quick response , does 75 an acre sound ok , after i get the first cut done , im just getting started in the busi, i dont want to lowball, but i also dont want to get low balled . peaple are cheap in my neck of the woods , thanks yall .karl

flying_a
09-11-2007, 11:35 PM
Im from South Texas also and I do a half acre for 45-50$ There are guys that do it for half that but they usually stop showing up after a while.:confused:

kpetzold
09-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Im from South Texas also and I do a half acre for 45-50$ There are guys that do it for half that but they usually stop showing up after a while.:confused:

thanks flying a , iv been getting 30 -35 for 100x50 , 45 -50 half acre sounds about right . just want to quote a good price because this is my foot in the door . im in rockport , thanks for your advise , and keep that mower cuttin. later karl .

Vikings
09-12-2007, 04:41 PM
thanks guys for the quick response , does 75 an acre sound ok , after i get the first cut done , im just getting started in the busi, i dont want to lowball, but i also dont want to get low balled . peaple are cheap in my neck of the woods , thanks yall .karl

I think people are cheap in ALL neck of the woods but I'm getting better at recognizing them and dealing with them appropriately.

I will sometimes still take them on but, hook or crook, I'm going for the dollar a minute and I will cut corners to make it.

It makes my day when I meet people that like paying good money. Yesterday I did an eavestrough cleaning on a two story row house. 20 min, $85 , and she gave me referrals to her two sons because she was happy.

I'm so sick of people that, soon as I tell them a price, they'll say, "oh last guy did it for much less, I still have his bill". I just leave them with my price.

When you're really just starting you might feel the NEED to take EVERYONE on and to do this you lower yourself and your price to accommodate them. It still happens to me sometimes and I'm not disparate for work. I'm just stupid sometimes.

joshco84
09-12-2007, 05:28 PM
i think about 60 or 70 an acre for res is about right. i try to go for a dollar a min (rarely do i get it, but sometimes it happens) and i could mow almost an acre an hour even with my 36 wb.

topsites
09-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Please don't cut yourself short like that, realtors as a rough guide I think are over rated.
Don't get me wrong, a realtor is a high ranking professional, they're right in line with doctors and attorneys, but ...

The rule doesn't always hold true, I have two realtors as customers and they are fine folks, but I also have one in collections, they're fun guys to deal with to be sure, no better or worse than the next customer, you see what I'm saying...

IF you have a ZTR it's easy, with a Wb not quite so, but either way I would set those blades to the HIGHEST setting you can get out of it, I'd go 5" if you can or 5.5" or so, then run over the entire thing once.
Lower the blades by 1/2" (on a Wb you'll want to use blade spacers or if it's a float deck then it should be easier, not sure).
And, run over it one more time.
You keep doing that, likely take you 4 full passes and you'll be down to 3.5 - 4 inches, lower the height increments by 1/4" if you have to, 3.5 - 4" is your goal here. If you can't get much past 4" high on the mower you'll want a backpack blower around so you can disperse the clippings with that...
PITA but you just gotta cover the whole yard with the blower and keep blowing until they're well dispersed.
That would make it look neat, if a bit tall but neat.

The blade height will help you miss those obstacles as well.

And charge appropriately, it will take 3-4 hours and maybe 6 so I'd say $240 but at least $200.
Two acres I get at least 100 for normal height, you got to get double that for this mess, and if you do it right the clumping should be minimal thou at the height you will leave it at will require another cut within 8-10 days at most (at 3-3.5").

If you need the work really bad, 160-170.

Good luck