PDA

View Full Version : Fall Clean-ups

Rangr25
09-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Well this is my first season opperating a small lawn service company i was just wondering how everyone else figures the cost of a fall clean-up... im trying to be as competitive as possible so any input would be appreciated.

WALKER LANDSCAPE
09-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Charge an hourly rate PER MAN plus dump and haul away fees.

poonero
09-12-2007, 11:17 PM
if you buy a walk behind blower charge for that by the hr also.

Rangr25
09-12-2007, 11:32 PM
just some more info on what im workin with...i have a hustler super z 60in and plan on getting a leaf vac with in the next couple weeks and then just a back pack blower

WALKER LANDSCAPE
09-13-2007, 12:02 AM
Ranger
Are you talking about a walk behind vac thay are a waste of time very slooowww. I would get the vac for the Z and dump in the bed of the truck or trailer. Charge for everything.

Rangr25
09-13-2007, 12:40 AM
no i plan on getting a vac to fit on the 60in deck for the rider

work_it
09-13-2007, 03:33 AM
Like everyone's told you so far, make sure you can make your money back. Especially when you're buying a piece of specialty equipment like a Hustler bagging system @ $2000+ and will only be using it a few months out of a year. Charge accordingly.

With regular mowing most guys try to charge enough to make approx. $60/hr, but as we all know that it really depends on the area you're in. Geological location will dictate what you're going to be able to charge for any service. As for leaf removal I've always tried to figure out the time it'll take and give a straight bid instead of telling people I only charge by the hour. They just don't understand when you tell them, "I charge $110/hr + a $60 dump fee."

Andrew's Lawn Maintenance
09-13-2007, 11:59 AM
I charge by the lot, (min of $200), but if I am over my head on how long it is going to take I just charge $35/man hour.

Using:
Ultra Vac on a 50 Exmark
Red Max EBZ7001
Red Max EBZ8001
2 Rakes
2 Tarps
(Getting a Little Wonder 9 horse blower) which will up the hourly rate to around 40/man hour

work_it
09-13-2007, 12:40 PM
I charge by the lot, (min of $200), but if I am over my head on how long it is going to take I just charge $35/man hour.

Using:
Ultra Vac on a 50 Exmark
Red Max EBZ7001
Red Max EBZ8001
2 Rakes
2 Tarps
(Getting a Little Wonder 9 horse blower) which will up the hourly rate to around 40/man hour

Wow! I wish you lived here in Louisville. I'd just sub everything out to you. Funny thing is I wouldn't have to lift a finger and would still make twice as much as I paid you. Doesn't make sense to me to bid a job that's twice as hard as mowing and charging less/hr than your mowing rate. To each his own ... I guess.

mike plummer
09-16-2007, 12:43 AM
My Self My Equipment Don't Get Off The Trailer Foe Less Then 75

STRINGALATION
09-16-2007, 12:58 AM
hey WORK IT hows it going never seen you on here before. does it seem to you here in the ville we charge more than everywhere else

work_it
09-16-2007, 02:00 AM
hey WORK IT hows it going never seen you on here before. does it seem to you here in the ville we charge more than everywhere elseHonestly I would have to say NO. In this area the prices of lawns and leaf removal haven't kept up with the economy in the last 7 years. Every time there's a lot of guys laid off at Ford, GE, or any other large company they all seem to think this is the business where they can make their fortune. Unfortunately they don't have a clue when it comes to market research, and certainly don't know the first thing about figuring out profit margins or their business expenses. Then they go out and lowball the entire area and screw everyone. By the time they figure out they're working for free or loosing money it's too late. They've already conditioned our potential customers to expect prices comparable to what they were in the late '70's. Hence, that's were we stand now and why I have to say "no" to your question.

Stringalation, good to see someone else from this area. The reason you haven't seen me on here before is probably because it's been a while for me. I've been concentrating on my airbrushing and been spending most of my time on their forums, but I still stop in from time to time to read. It's just rare for me to post a reply.